Healthy bread in Pattaya -- does it even exist?

Jingthing

During WW 2 British were forced to eat brown loaf only. It included whole grain elements like bran. No white bread allowed. The idea was not to waste food which was of course vitally important as highly processing the grain causes lots of waste.

The overall health of the British people improved dramatically during the war and it is attributed to the bread.clap2.gif

Right after the war, the country switched back to white bread.bah.gif

On the matter of gluten intolerance it's real and very serious for a small percentage of people but it's massively over self diagnosed.

Anyway, like I said, I'm not a big bread eater but I like good bread when I do eat it.

I sure wish local restaurants offered BROWN RICE, on a related topic.

Do you mean brown rice, or rice that still has the husk on it?

Either way, it takes an hour to cook and can't be stored, which is why the bleached white garbage won that particular battle.

I cook with brown rice all the time and it takes about 35 mins in the rice cooker. For best results soak the rice overnight.

BTW You can buy brown rice in BIg C Extra or Tops already cooked if you dont want to cook yourself. Nice cheap meal can be had with some babecue chicken,salad,and brown rice easey peasey and tastes great too.

Why do you say the rice cant be stored? I put the cooked rice in the fridge and eat the next day with another meal.

I like sourdough bread...the Big C near to us makes it to order for me. All I have to do is call in how many loaves and they tell me what day it will be ready.

I am guessing that if you went to where they bake bread (bakery - whether big store or Mom/Pop) they will try their best to accomodate you.

That being said - you seem very particular about what you want - so wish you the best.....

The Big C X on Klang has nice sourdough dinner rolls and biggie rolls daily...not as good as Acme or Semifreddi from Berkeley, or even SFO's Boudin bakery but they do nicely for Thailand.

During WW 2 British were forced to eat brown loaf only. It included whole grain elements like bran. No white bread allowed. The idea was not to waste food which was of course vitally important as highly processing the grain causes lots of waste.

The overall health of the British people improved dramatically during the war and it is attributed to the bread.clap2.gif

On the matter of gluten intolerance it's real and very serious for a small percentage of people but it's massively over self diagnosed.

Anyway, like I said, I'm not a big bread eater but I like good bread when I do eat it.

Do you mean brown rice, or rice that still has the husk on it?

Either way, it takes an hour to cook and can't be stored, which is why the bleached white garbage won that particular battle.

I cook with brown rice all the time and it takes about 35 mins in the rice cooker. For best results soak the rice overnight.

BTW You can buy brown rice in BIg C Extra or Tops already cooked if you dont want to cook yourself. Nice cheap meal can be had with some babecue chicken,salad,and brown rice easey peasey and tastes great too.

Why do you say the rice cant be stored? I put the cooked rice in the fridge and eat the next day with another meal.

Of course rice can be stored - simply look at the government, they have stored tens of millions of tons of rice, some of it for a couple of years.

The quality of it is excellent and god forbid, there are no nasty chemicals in it according to Yingluck (that well known chemist and rice expert), it is so good that the government decided to keep it for themselves (just like storing gold) in effect, in fact better, as the price of gold has shot down recently!!!.

Look at the seven Grain Pumpernikel bread at friendship if you want pure grain

bread. It is made by Bakery Europe. Tel : 038 300260. The bread comes in small packages of six slices and costs 70 THB. They have other grain bread as well. I buy several packets at a time and freeze them.

As for slow release sugar rice, nutritionists recommend Basmati rice, which is sometimes sold at Tesco Lotus on Sukhumvit. Doongara rice is recommended as well, but I have not seen it in Pattaya. Brown rice is an option as long as you eat smaller portion.

White bread and the cheap short-grain white rice they serve in most restaurants is the worst choice if you want to keep your sugar level under control.

The Mini Mart opposite the bus station in Jomtien in front of View Taly 2 serves decent dark bread as well, but you normally have to get there early in the morning. as it is often sold out early.

There used to be a Danish bakery between soi baukhao and third road (The soi where Crazy Dave's are located in).

Now that was real nice rye bread and could last a very long time in the freezer.

Sadly he have closed down but have promised me that he will set up shop again if not in 2013 then next year.

I keep my fingers crossed.

Danish bread is better as the German ones (well I am Danish), it's much more "heavy" than German bread.

The breads at Big C on Pattaya Klang seem good to me. Are they 100% anything? I don't know, but they are good and dark, good texture and taste fine.

The French village bread tastes very good to me.

The sourdough (white bread) has the right texture, but not as sour as SF bread.

Also this trend for natural products seems misguided. Natural does not mean, safe, healthful, good for you, better or effective for anything. The lists of 100% natural poisons is almost endless. 85% pf people die of natural causes, so be careful.

The breads at Big C on Pattaya Klang seem good to me. Are they 100% anything? I don't know, but they are good and dark, good texture and taste fine.

The French village bread tastes very good to me.

The sourdough (white bread) has the right texture, but not as sour as SF bread.

Also this trend for natural products seems misguided. Natural does not mean, safe, healthful, good for you, better or effective for anything. The lists of 100% natural poisons is almost endless. 85% pf people die of natural causes, so be careful.

Any label with zero fat or zero sugar, diet, natural, healthy on them is a signal to avoid eating it. In fact, anything food or drink related with a label on it is almost certainly best left on the shelf!!!

• Like 1

Why would (not) eating this particularly unhealthy piece of non-food make your life 'fairly uninteresting', as you put it!!!

It's not a question of not eating one particular thing, it's a question of not eating anything that is bad for you. Many tasty things are bad for you and, in Thailand at least, most of the rest is absolutely chock full of chemicals, many of which are banned in the west. So if I stop eating the tasty things I like, and stop eating the chemically-laced things, the rest is rather dull. Given that life generally is rather dull these days (and getting duller by the day), I dont fancy cutting out one interesting part of it.

Wouldn't (not being) obese, and at risk of becoming type 2 diabetic or keeling over from a heart attack make up for it?

Just because I eat things that aren't healthy doesnt mean that I have to eat so much of them that I become obese. I can eat what I want and then stop.

As for the heart attack: you have to die from something. Maybe a heart attack, maybe cancer, maybe from chemicals in your food or maybe under the wheels of a bahtbus. Either way it will come to all of us and when it does that is the end. Full stop. Finish.

Therefore the trick is to enjoy yourself as much as possible before it happens.

Why would (not) eating this particularly unhealthy piece of non-food make your life 'fairly uninteresting', as you put it!!!

It's not a question of not eating one particular thing, it's a question of not eating anything that is bad for you. Many tasty things are bad for you and, in Thailand at least, most of the rest is absolutely chock full of chemicals, many of which are banned in the west. So if I stop eating the tasty things I like, and stop eating the chemically-laced things, the rest is rather dull. Given that life generally is rather dull these days (and getting duller by the day), I dont fancy cutting out one interesting part of it.

Wouldn't (not being) obese, and at risk of becoming type 2 diabetic or keeling over from a heart attack make up for it?

Just because I eat things that aren't healthy doesnt mean that I have to eat so much of them that I become obese. I can eat what I want and then stop.

As for the heart attack: you have to die from something. Maybe a heart attack, maybe cancer, maybe from chemicals in your food or maybe under the wheels of a bahtbus. Either way it will come to all of us and when it does that is the end. Full stop. Finish.

Therefore the trick is to enjoy yourself as much as possible before it happens.

A rather over-simplified version that doesn't really reflect reality I am afraid.

Best market at north Pattaya road roundabout has a good selection of breads, especially German breads. I believe they have some wholegrain and wholewheat breads. Also, big c extra, on Pattaya klang, has a nice selection of fresh baked breads. Some new varieties of dark rye and "healthy" grain breads have showed up recently. They are not cheap, however, at around B 100 a loaf.

+1....Big-C Extra has lots of good breads.

If you look up nutrition tables on the internet there is not sufficient difference between whole wheat bread and ordinary white bread to bother discriminating between them.

Some of the worst white bread I have ever tasted was in USA. I can believe there is no nutrition in USA white bread and probably no wheat either. USA common white bread is probably made from recycled building materials.

If you look up nutrition tables on the internet there is not sufficient difference between whole wheat bread and ordinary white bread to bother discriminating between them.

Some of the worst white bread I have ever tasted was in USA. I can believe there is no nutrition in USA white bread and probably no wheat either. USA common white bread is probably made from recycled building materials.

True but if you've got some dough in the urban and sophisticated areas you can buy some of the best "artisan" bread in the world there.

Nutrition tables!!!

Why do you need these? All you need know is that the wheat flour in bread is a simple carbohydrate that turns to sugar in your gut spiking your blood sugar glucose levels causing your body to store fat and is responsible for the massive upsurge of type 2 diabetes and obesity causing liver, kidney, nerve and heart problems. Refined foods are worse as they contains appreciable levels of HFCS (high fructose corn syrup).

There is little to no nutrition in bread anyway which is why I don't eat it any more.

• Like 1

Jingthing, I certainly understand your want for good healthy bread. I quit

eating the horrible white bread 30-40 years ago. To me, it's like bleached

cardboard -- and just as lacking in nutrition.

Over the years I've searched for good bread in a dozen countries. Once

had some fabulous bread at the Intercontinental Hotel in Phnom Penh.

Recently, I discovered what is, without doubt, the world's best, healthiest,

most delicious bread for hard, crusty, wonderful breakfast toast. It's gluten-

free brown rice bread -- sold only at the Blue Diamond Restaurant (just off

Moon-muang Soi 9) in the old city of Chiang Mai .

Next time you're in Chiang Mai, you should definitely try it. I often go to Blue

Diamond just to buy the bread. It is a bit expensive (small loaf is 60 baht), but

after having it a few times I can't even think of eating any other bread.

Nutrition tables!!!

Why do you need these? All you need know is that the wheat flour in bread is a simple carbohydrate that turns to sugar in your gut spiking your blood sugar glucose levels causing your body to store fat and is responsible for the massive upsurge of type 2 diabetes and obesity causing liver, kidney, nerve and heart problems. Refined foods are worse as they contains appreciable levels of HFCS (high fructose corn syrup).

There is little to no nutrition in bread anyway which is why I don't eat it any more.

Excellent post.

As you correctly point out, the problem is the wheat flour, sugar and other over processed ingredients.

If one cannot give up their bread habit, it's best to substitute gluten-free, sugar-free bread, such as that

made from brown or black rice flour or buckwheat flour. (Note: buckwheat is not wheat).

Nutrition tables!!!

Excellent post.

As you correctly point out, the problem is the wheat flour, sugar and other over processed ingredients.

If one cannot give up their bread habit, it's best to substitute gluten-free, sugar-free bread, such as that

made from brown or black rice flour or buckwheat flour. (Note: buckwheat is not wheat).

I can understand your problem if you eat one or more loaves of bread a day. Most people don't do that.

I personally don't eat bread every day and when I do eat bread, it is only 2 slices of bread in a day.

Those who over-indulge pay the penalty. Those who eat that terrible American white bread be warned.

Make your own, it's very easy. I have made this recipe for years in Pattaya, after I bake I give out

some and put the rest in the freezer. It keeps for months. When I want a piece, I just place it in

the microwave.:

• 1/2 cup warm water

• 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce

• 3 tablespoons active dry yeast

• 3 1/2 cups warm water

• 1/2 cup honey

• 1/2 cup molasses

• 1/2 cup vegetable oil

• 3 tablespoons lemon juice

• 2 eggs, beaten

• 9 cups sifted whole wheat flour

• 1/2 cup ground flax seed

• 1 cup quick cooking oats

• 1/2 cup sunflower seeds

• 3/4 cup cracked wheat or Bulgar

• 1 teaspoon of salt

Directions

1. Stir together the 1/2 cup water and applesauce in a small bowl. Dissolve the yeast in the mixture, let stand until creamy, about 5 minutes. Pour the yeast mixture into a large bowl with 3 1/2 cups of warm water, honey, molasses, vegetable oil, lemon juice, and eggs; stir together to combine well.
  2. In a separate bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, flax seed, sunflower seeds, cracked wheat, and salt. Stir the flour mixture into the yeast mixture until a smooth dough forms. Knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Place in a lightly oiled bowl and cover; let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
  3. Lightly grease four 9x5 inch loaf pans. Punch down dough, shape into loaves, and place in the pans. Allow to rise in pans until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
  4. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
  5. Bake 40 to 50 minutes, or until the loaves sound hollow when removed from the pan and tapped on the bottom.
Edited by oakweb
  • Like 1

Nutrition tables!!!

Excellent post.

I can understand your problem if you eat one or more loaves of bread a day. Most people don't do that.

I personally don't eat bread every day and when I do eat bread, it is only 2 slices of bread in a day.

Those who over-indulge pay the penalty. Those who eat that terrible American white bread be warned.

Agree.

I also don't eat bread every day. About 3-4 times a week, I eat gluten-free brown rice bread

which is crusty and fabulous when toasted for my breakfast.

Excellent post.

Agree.

I also don't eat bread every day. About 3-4 times a week, I eat gluten-free brown rice bread

which is crusty and fabulous when toasted for my breakfast.

Gluttony is a greater danger to health than gluten.

• Like 1

Every trip there I stop into TOPS on Second Road or Big C if I am about town and get a loaf of uncut bread. Sometimes it says multigrain, but who knows? I pick up some of the better cheddar cheese and for a few days the bread seems to keep just fine. A fine and simple snack to have around. The bread really does complement the spicy Thai food. I have bought that type of thing every trip starting in 2004. I have never had a problem or bad bread. The bread seems to sell out fairly quickly so keep an eye out for when the market puts out the fresh baked stuff. I am a bit sensitive to breads and foods with preservatives (calcium propionate, etc., and I don't taste that at all in the breads I have bought.

Every trip there I stop into TOPS on Second Road or Big C if I am about town and get a loaf of uncut bread. Sometimes it says multigrain, but who knows? I pick up some of the better cheddar cheese and for a few days the bread seems to keep just fine. A fine and simple snack to have around. The bread really does complement the spicy Thai food. I have bought that type of thing every trip starting in 2004. I have never had a problem or bad bread. The bread seems to sell out fairly quickly so keep an eye out for when the market puts out the fresh baked stuff. I am a bit sensitive to breads and foods with preservatives (calcium propionate, etc., and I don't taste that at all in the breads I have bought.