340 Baht murder suspect caught in East Pattaya

Rimmer

340 Baht murder suspect caught in East Pattaya

murder-32.jpg
PATTAYA:--A 28 year old man who allegedly murdered a man over an unpaid bill of 340 Baht from a Whisky Shop in East Pattaya was arrested by Police as he prepared to leave Pattaya.

At 4.30am on Saturday, Police and rescue services were called to Soi Chayapreuk where it intersects with the Railway Road to deal with the death of a man thought to be aged in his mid-twenties who was carrying no identification cards or papers with him.

The victim had been stabbed in the chest and face and it soon became apparent that he had been drinking at a whisky shop in front of a market in Soi Chaiyapreuk earlier in the night and left the shop without paying a drinks bill of 340 Baht.

The man was chased by the brother of the shop owner, later named as Khun Wassan aged 28, who caught up with him at the railway road. The pair began to fight which culminated in the victim being fatally stabbed.
Full story:http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/96994/340-baht-murder-suspect-caught-east-pattaya/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2013-07-28

Well 340 baht is a massive amount of money when you consider the Bangkok taxi driver killed the farang with a Samurai for just 50 baht so to be fair its understandable the guy killed him for a whopping $12.00 rolleyes.gif

Something is wrong at the roots of this country.

Well 340 baht is a massive amount of money when you consider the Bangkok taxi driver killed the farang with a Samurai for just 50 baht so to be fair its understandable the guy killed him for a whopping $12.00 rolleyes.gif

A samurai is a Japanese warriors from days of yonder. The swords they used are generally known as katanas. The taxi driver who killed the falang over 50 Baht used a short machete.

You would wonder at the mentality that feels that this is going to improve the situation, I realise it is triggered by an inability to achieve justice for the unpaid account, he may have a history of non payment exacerbating the anger.

Tragic consequences for both parties. In previous times, the village headman would remedy the situation at no cost to the shopkeeper so there were few offences but in todays society the freedom from sanction for non payment leads to this attitude. We are also not privy to the blood alcohol readings, it is possible the absconder had been served enough Loa Khoa to kill an elephant and was not even aware he was offending.

The real victim is Thailand.

• Like 2

Never get in an argument or whatever in Thailand. It does not matter how small the dispute might seem. You might walk away by losing your face and feel embarrased but Thais really dont hesitate to pull out a weapon and kill you. Stuff like that happens in my country too but is by far not so common.

Some junkie once wanted to clean my shoes in Pattaya...I said "no thanks" he kept pulling my shoes so that he can clean them. (I was sitting in a restaurant) After one minute I took them off as it was getting too embarassing and said "Okay for 200 THB, make them nice." The bill was 400 THB in the end...I paid it and walked away like the biggest idiot. Nevertheless I keep to my philosophy: Never argue with them for something as small as 400 THB.

A samurai is a Japanese warriors from days of yonder. The swords they used are generally known as katanas. The taxi driver who killed the falang over 50 Baht used a short machete.

Have a very close look at the video that was posted of this tragic murder. It certainly isn't a katana and nor is it a short machete. The blade is thinner. I've seen a lot of Thai short swords (not at all like the tradtional Thai long sword) like this for sale at the local market and also mobile street vendors who sell all sorts of blades.

The point is large knives and swords are easily available and affordable here. So many people have them and are prepared to use them. Most countires now impose very strict legislation on the size and type of knives than can be carried in public. Rightly or wrongly depends on your point of view.

I've seen Thai ladies reach for a large kitchen knife when arguing with their husbands, and usually arguments that blew up over nothing. Most Thais I know would look for a handy weapon if they got into an argument or their temper went. Same as Chinese. I've seen a few fights between Chinese in HK and they always grab something to use as a weapon. Different mentalities.

Well, I hate to say it but if the police were any good at their job then maybe people would call them in to handle the situation. Since they are useless we end up with people going for street justice which sadly escalates to ridiculous proportions and you end up with people getting killed over nothing :(

dighambara, on 29 Jul 2013 - 09:18, said:

“T.I.T. where face is more important than life”

Petty revenge for trivial slights, insults, paltry sums of money, etc. is common in every country on earth. If you think irrational acts, especially when fueled by alcohol, are specific to Thailand or Asia, you must wear some tremendous blinders.

This sort of thing is stupid, senseless, tragic ... but it isn't uniquely Thai. And this particular incident initially had to do with theft not the farang obsessions with blaming every crime on "saving face," which is a common male ego problem that exists everywhere.

A crime of passion, or crime passionnel, in popular usage, refers to a violent crime, especially murder, in which the perpetrator commits the act against someone because of sudden strong impulse such as sudden rage rather than as a premeditated crime. The act, as is suggested by the name (crime passionnel - from French language) is often associated with the history of France. However, such crimes have existed and continue to exist in most cultures.

A frail pensioner was killed for just a few pounds in cash by handbag thieves who ambushed her in an alleyway.

Widow Paula Castle, 85, who was registered blind, died from bleeding on the brain after she was attacked as she returned from the shops.

The grandmother was followed by the thieves, who knocked her to the ground and stole her bag. [uK]

A 16-year-old boy has been detained for killing a former best friend after the pair traded insults on Facebook.

Salum Kombo, 18, was stabbed in the chest in Bromley-by-Bow, east London, in December after calling his killer, then 15, names including "pussy". [uK]

QuoteVAN NUYS - Two Van Nuys men were sentenced to lengthy prison terms today for the execution-style slaying of a Granada Hills man over an insulting text message about a woman.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

I bet if the poor guy was killed over a 340,000 baht debt a lot of TV posters would say it was acceptable.

Reminds me of the "elite" Romans watching the Christians torn apart by lions in the Colesseum.

If anything this topic will keep the resident Thai bashers occupied for a while.

Sorry to play devil’s advocate, but the amount of the bill isn’t really the issue. Do you guys feel that the murder would be justified if the bill were 10k, or 100k? How much do you have to be ripped off for murder to be acceptable by T.V. readers?

The issue here is that there is no law enforcement for crimes like this and people are forced to take the law into their own hands. The guy stole from the shop, what is the shop to do? Turn a blind eye and let people walk out on their bills whenever they wish? Obviously I don’t think killing him is the right thing to do either, but other than chasing him down what are the shop owner’s options? Call the BIB and then pay them thousands to claim the few hundred? They’re too busy stopping motorbikes on the bypass road. I believe this has more to do with being the victim of a crime than loss of face and I am sure there is a lot more to the story than what's shown here.

There is a lot of scum on the streets of Pattaya and IMHO I’m glad to see people standing up to it. Again, I don’t condone murder, but it is good to see people are willing to fight for what is right.

Ive been robbed by a mamasan. Did i return with a gun and mow the b----- down?

Id rather be a victim once than a cold blooded murder. No amount money justifies murder...

But if you threaten my life then ill mow you down.

I guess he did not go with the intention of killing him, rather to confront him and get the bill paid. There is nothing premeditated about this. The situation escalated and in the end the fight got out of hand. Manslaughter most likely.

• Like 1

this start to look more and more like the wild wild west...

next: you bump somebody by accident and get stabbed to death

Or cross the road and get hit by a carrolleyes.gif

Perhaps paying the bills would be a wise choice to avoid being chased down the street

3 years ago a man was shot dead in Goodyear, Arizona for taking a quart of beer. He lived across the street from the shop. I estimate that beer was worth a whole dollar. I also understand the Gringo that was killed by the taxi driver refused to pay, used threating language, tossed a drink at the driver then charged the driver like a bull knocking him down and then the fatal blows came which seem like self defense.