Blood on the bus -- I suffer my first injury on a baht bus -- learn from my mistakes?

Jingthing

So anyway, I think I probably didn't handle this correctly but there's the story in case anyone can learn from it.

Bit of a let down that! I was expecting to read about your battle with some swarthy mid-eastern types, handbag vs. knives style. sad.png

I left my knives at home, mate.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He should have driven you to the nearest hospital at least,

The bus in Bangkok are far worse, I think for the Thais it's board at your own risk, if half the bus managed to stay upright by holding on to grab rails or whatever, they might blame it on the old guy. But if the most of the passenger is left bleeding on the sidewalk, then that's definitely the driver's fault.

Here in Pattaya, people usually complain the the when the baht bus stops it's blocking the traffic, in Bangkok, on certain routes, the bus rarely stops, making boarding and alighting quite an extreme sport.

In case like this, try to get the police or at leas the Sawang Boriboon rescue guys involved, in more serious crash, the modus operandi for the driver would be to leg it and disappear.

In most countries riding in the back of a pickup with benches would not be allowed because of the risk of injuries because of stopping.

You should have been covered by 3rd party insurance to the rate of 14000 baht but this would have involved police reports etc.

To me it sounds as if a nice driver had to stop suddenly and was concerned, both for you as shown by his offer of water and the consequences.

So anyway, I think I probably didn't handle this correctly but there's the story in case anyone can learn from it.

Bit of a let down that! I was expecting to read about your battle with some swarthy mid-eastern types, handbag vs. knives style. sad.png

I left my knives at home, mate.

OMG, how careless of you JT - never ever let your guard down again ! :o

I am surprised there are not more accidents on songtaews.

I dont think they have any insurance coverage so it is up to the individual to have their own medical coverage or travel insurance in case of serious accident.

Luckily it was a minor injury and nothing that required any serious treatment.

Looking on the bright side considering how long you have been here if you had a motor scooter you would have probably had at least one or two falls and maybe a major accident by now.

JT - us Kiwis (who actually do know what lacerations are - it's them Aussies you're thinking of with the limited vocabularyrolleyes.gif ), have a state system whereby litigation for personal injury is unheard of. And that's irrespective of the nature or severity of the injury, and regardless of blame. Health care as the result of an accident is of course free to everybody, including tourists.

An individual cannot be held financially accountable for compensation. In a work accident the employer can be fined under Health and Safety laws. In criminal injury (road accident etc), the law can prosecute the guilty party. Irrespective, there is virtually no room for personal litigation or compensation.

So in a Kiwi's mind, the last thing we'd be thinking of is compensation in the situation you experienced. I guess that goes to show that attitudes to this sort of thing will be different depending on the social system of ones home country.

After reading your post, in hindsight I think if it happened to me I would have requested the driver to take me to the Soi 4 hospital and have the repairs done at his expense. That way you wouldn't be demanding an undefined amount, but having him pay the specific medical expenses. That way, you don't profit, and he pays the true costs of his poor driving.

I wouldn't expect any compensation beyond the medical expenses.

p.s Sorry for taking the piss out of the Aussies in my opening line - we love each other really. thumbsup.gif

We do have compensation in Australia. The cost of losing a leg through the knee plus a few other injuries requiring lifetime care gained an award of $165000 so not sure what your scratch is worth there.

I don't think legal norms in western countries are relevant here.

Again, like I said, a local told me that locals would have normally made demands on the driver so if that's true, that's the local norm here.

I don't really know if that is true though.

One solution is to use a Moto-Bike Taxi instead of the pick-up trucks.

A bit more expensive, but it's door-to-door and they ACTUALLY have SHOCK absorbers, as opposed the the blue pick-up trucks. Much more maneuverable and faster in traffic.

100 Baht from Jomtien to Bangkok Pattaya Hospital in 10 minutes, as opposed to 45 minutes on three pick-up trucks for 30 Baht. No comparison, IMHO . . .

JT, sorry if i have missed it, but was there a valid reason for him breaking so hard?

I never determined that. He didn't say. I didn't ask. I didn't see. The Russian's English was limited and I don't know if they saw either.

That was super rude.

Why was that rude, you should see the cut on my knee from last month when I fell over.

6-8 stitches, mainly because I'm getting old.

I am not you. Read the OP about what actually happened.

I did read the OP

Basically, you are getting old and your balance and reaction times are degrading.

At your age you need to be more careful, falls can be dangerous, use the handholds.

Tommo, we found a point we can agree on. +1

One solution is to use a Moto-Bike Taxi instead of the pick-up trucks.

A bit more expensive, but it's door-to-door and they ACTUALLY have SHOCK absorbers, as opposed the the blue pick-up trucks. Much more maneuverable and faster in traffic.

100 Baht from Jomtien to Bangkok Pattaya Hospital in 10 minutes, as opposed to 45 minutes on three pick-up trucks for 30 Baht. No comparison, IMHO . . .

Plus, if HE hits the breaks, there are no obstructions as you fly over your driver's head! Well, until you reach street level....

"Plus, if HE hits the breaks, there are no obstructions as you fly over your driver's head!"

Been using them for nine years - no problems - can't say the same for the blue pick-up trucks.

"When flying pigs become presidents ..."

How did Obama get into this discussion? . . . smile.png

Few times i see the bahtbus coming along full, i said , No thanks, move on to next one that is half empty. No f***ing way to get on the full bathbus holding on to the rails at the rear end.

I don't blame you for that. I drive a pickup and if a baht bus laden with people at the back gets in front of me I slow right down and change lanes wherever possible, especially running down Thappraya towards Patts.

I'd rather rear end a vios or a even a merc than take out the limbs of the poor sods on the back of the bus.

• Like 1

Now just what is it you learnt from your mistakes Jingthing?

Not much yet.

I was HOPING for some intelligent and knowledgeable feedback related to the idea that locals would have pressed the driver for compensation and that I should have as well.

Of course in this case, there isn't much to be compensated FOR but there could have been and I seek the info for possible future events and also for other people who learn about who also may be in future baht bus related accidents.

Edited by Jingthing

Now just what is it you learnt from your mistakes Jingthing?

Not much yet.

I was HOPING for some intelligent and knowledgeable feedback related to the idea that locals would have pressed the driver for compensation and that I should have as well.

JT - I thought that it was common knowledge that a local would have pressed for compensation. I asked the missus and she said anywhere from 2k to 10k depending on how much blood and how bad the injury was - unconscious, broken bones, trip to the hospital, police involved etc.

EDIT. Although she did qualify it by saying it depends which cops the bus driver knows, etc......TIT

Edited by Gsxrnz

Well my intelligent and knowledgeable feedback on this point is that passengers should hold on to something rigid and firm at all times whilst travelling on a baht bus, there is usually a long pole available for this purpose.

• Like 2

Well my intelligent and knowledgeable feedback on this point is that passengers should hold on to something rigid and firm at all times whilst travelling on a baht bus, there is usually a long pole available for this purpose.

And that's particularly true in Patts - lots of long poles on many a bus heading towards Walking Street of an evening.

Apart from the OP's injury and discomfort, I find this a reassuringly positive story.

The driver was sympathetic, offered water and was happy to forego the fare (I could imagine it very differently)

The Russsian passengers were equally helpful and sympathetic (again, I could imagine a very different reaction)

The pharmacist was professional and helpful.

I'm surprised more baht bus accidents don't happen.

I agree with that.

Mostly.

The Russians were great.

The pharmacist lady was amazing. Maybe that's normal here the way she acted but I didn't know that before.

I had worried she would be worried about blood stains in her shop.

I don't think it would happen that way at Boots.

I'm not so sure about the driver. He was just afraid there would be a problem. He was thrilled to see me leave without further hassle. Don't be naive

It's interesting that the local I talked to about this was adamant that even with the level of injury I had, that I SHOULD have insisted on compensation from the driver, implying any local would do that AND the driver would expect it.

He basically thought I was very stupid for not making a thing of it, which is one reason I posted about this. I am hoping we all can learn more about the culture around such incidents.

Did yoiusay "the Russians were Great"

Will wonders never cease? smile.png

Edited by BugJackBaron
  • Like 2