Blood on the bus -- I suffer my first injury on a baht bus -- learn from my mistakes?

Jingthing

OK, after all these years and all this rides, I suppose the inevitable happened.

An event. An accident. Blood spilled.

Riding on the bus AT HIGH SPEED Jomtien to Pattaya sharing the truck with an attractive young Russian couple the driver hit the brakes hard. I wasn't looking at traffic to know WHY he felt he had to hit the brakes so hard, but he was driving too fast, that's for sure.

That happens.

But this time I was literally thrown out of my seat the thrust on the floor FORWARD all the way to the back of the cab which I struck!

Alas, there was a bloody injury in the form of a rather large (but not particularly deep) laceration. That's a cut for you Kiwis. Spurt Spurt.

I could tell that I hadn't broken any bones but I had the immediate issue of an open bloody wound.

The driver was of course freaked out.

He stopped the truck but didn't know what to do.

I was just thinking of how to deal with all the blood. I wasn't in great pain or anything or seriously worried about dying. The Russian couple it turned out was quite sympathetic and offered me more than one wet clothes to apply to the wound.

The driver offered his bottle of water.

At this point, I wasn't really thinking straight but I was too far towards Pattaya to just go back to Jomtien to clean and dress the wound back there. So I rode a little while longer and just got off the bus.

I even offered to pay the 10 baht (that's how spaced out I was). The driver wove it off and still looked super freaked out.

I went into a small local style pharmacy (the closest to where I got off the bus) thinking I could just do a superficial fix until I got to my condo. I didn't think I needed a hospital or even clinic. Amazingly to me, when I got to a small pharmacy the girl there was super professional, got on some gloves and did a thorough job of cleaning and dressing the wound (of course selling me more supplies as well).

Now I reckon I know what some of you are probably thinking. What about the driver. Was it his fault. Did he have a legal obligation to "take care" of me in the event of an injury accident.

I thought about all this stuff LATER. Talking to a local, I was told I should have gone after the driver for compensation and involved the police.

STUPIDLY, I didn't even have the presence of mind to record the truck number or even notice if he had one of those ID cards on back of the bus.

Now the thing is this injury was minor, but not nothing, much more than a pinprick, and my response was to just deal with it and not worry about blame and police.

But at the time how could I REALLY have known there were no broken bones, more serious care needed for the wound such as stitches, etc?

I bring this up as a case study for discussion. What happens where there is a much more serious injury on a baht bus. What should the injured do exactly? What are the legal responsibilities of the driver exactly? How is that enforced? It seems to me with a more serious injury you would be even MORE inclined to focus more on dealing with the injury than I was dealing with a relatively minor injury.

So anyway, I think I probably didn't handle this correctly but there's the story in case anyone can learn from it.

Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm hoping you were thrown to the back of the cab; otherwise you would have had to do a summersault through the metal of the canopy to reach the front of the cab.

Nevertheless, the emergency stop could have been legitimate. Maybe a child had run out from parked cars, into the pathway of the baht bus. Give the driver the benefit of the doubt. Yes, in western countries, the transporter would normally cover your medical expenses, but T.I.T. where you're more on your own for mishaps. (Yes, high speed; but what baht bus DOESN'T go high speed on that route?)

All that said, I'm commenting from a more "upcountry" (Isaan) viewpoint where it's "every dog for himself" mentality. I'm sure there are a lot more lawsuits/police reports in Pattaya which is populated by more litigious-happy westerners.

Edited by Fookhaht

You get thrown FORWARD.

I am quite aware he could have had a good reason to brake suddenly. However, he WAS speeding.

These drivers brake suddenly quite commonly.
For some reason this time I got violently thrown by it.

Edited by Jingthing

I think you handled it fine JT.

What is it with people expecting compensation for every small accident?

Sounds like you got a bit of cut to the head, but nothing serious. Matter was remedied. It was an accident. These happen all the time in life.

Well, knowing what I know NOW I think it's fine the way I handled it.

But I posted this as a case study of the psychology of these kinds of accidents.

One can't REALLY know at the scene the extent of the damage done.

You certainly SHOULD record the driver info if you can, and of course in some cases the injuries will be much more serious and you know it right away.

So compensation surely can be an issue.

There is no doubt in my mind the freaked out behavior of the driver had something to do with his fear that he was going to get in trouble.

Falling over comes with age. It will happen more often.

Accept it and move on.

That was super rude.

Why was that rude, you should see the cut on my knee from last month when I fell over.

6-8 stitches, mainly because I'm getting old.

I am not you. Read the OP about what actually happened. If you're just here to play snippy games, I wish you wouldn't. This is intended as a real topic that maybe people can learn from.

Edited by Jingthing

I should also add I reckon there will be some level of permanent scar but I am not sure and it is not on my face.

If the cut had been on my face, I assume I would have thought about that and been more likely to think about compensation issues, but I really don't know!
Getting a permanent scar on your face isn't a trivial thing.

Edited by Jingthing

You get thrown FORWARD.

No dispute as to the direction you were thrown. I was surprised at your destination: FRONT OF the cab? That's somewhere around the driver's windshield or around his accelerator pedal. That would necessitate going through his back window first. No wonder you busted your head! blink.png

• Like 1

Accept it and move on.

That was super rude.

Why was that rude, you should see the cut on my knee from last month when I fell over.

6-8 stitches, mainly because I'm getting old.

I am not you. Read the OP about what actually happened.

I did read the OP

Basically, you are getting old and your balance and reaction times are degrading.

At your age you need to be more careful, falls can be dangerous, use the handholds.

• Like 1

Accept it and move on.

That was super rude.

No tongue-in-cheek stuff with this OP! Forewarned! whistling.gif

Edited by Fookhaht
  • Like 2

You get thrown FORWARD.

No dispute as to the direction you were thrown. I was surprised at your destination: FRONT OF the cab? That's somewhere around the driver's windshield or around his accelerator pedal. That would necessitate going through his back window first. No wonder you busted your head! blink.png

I corrected the text in the OP. Thanks for the find. I never said I busted my head.

I did read the OP

Basically, you are getting old and your balance and reaction times are degrading.

At your age you need to be more careful, falls can be dangerous, use the handholds.

That isn't what this is about. Its about how to deal with it in the event of injury accidents on baht buses which can happen to anyone at any age.

I did read the OP

That isn't what this is about. Its about how to deal with it in the event of injury accidents on baht buses which can happen to anyone at any age.

Yeah, but you already know the essence of the ThaiVisa forum: 5% practical advice and 95% preaching...rolleyes.gif It's an uphill battle, dude.

• Like 1

You get thrown FORWARD.

I corrected the text in the OP. Thanks for the find. I never said I busted my head.

"...busted your head." In literature, we call this metaphorical hyperbole. But can't expect this forum to rise to such erudite heights of expression. tongue.png

Apart from the OP's injury and discomfort, I find this a reassuringly positive story.

The driver was sympathetic, offered water and was happy to forego the fare (I could imagine it very differently)

The Russsian passengers were equally helpful and sympathetic (again, I could imagine a very different reaction)

The pharmacist was professional and helpful.

I'm surprised more baht bus accidents don't happen.

I'm sure they do--I'm assuming the bulk of them don't get reported. Why involve the police or the press when you can settle things on the spot and move on? The traditional Thai way. whistling.gif

Edited by Fookhaht

Many people walk away from car accidents thinking they didn't suffer any injuries only to find upon closer examination, there were some additional injuries that may not have been immediately apparent at the time, such as neck injuries or similar, which only show up later. I would like to suggest you have a proper examination by a good doctor explaining to him or her what happened before thinking the only injury you have sustained was a cut?

• Like 1

Many people walk away from car accidents thinking they didn't suffer any injuries only to find upon closer examination, there were some additional injuries that may not have been immediately apparent at the time, such as neck injuries or similar, which only show up later. I would like to suggest you have a proper examination by a good doctor explaining to him or her what happened before thinking the only injury you have sustained was a cut?

Sterling advice. Get to the doc, Jingthing!

This number : 1584 is posted on back of cab for reporting safety issues like speeding, for what its worth. Most of the drivers are jerks and everyday I write down the number of a baht bus to not ride again. And Im running out of buses.

Edited by morrobay

... Most of the drivers are jerks and everyday I write down the number of a baht bus to not ride again. And Im running out of buses.

I have to sadly agree with you.

In our seven-university mid-sized town, the most common vehicle to run red lights are the songthaews (upcountry cousins to the baht bus). They drive as if they are a complete law unto themselves without any regard whatsoever to other drivers or pedestrians. Usually these vehicles are packed with college & university students. I shudder thinking about the day one of these are T-boned when running a red light. sad.png

Jingthing, after years of educating us on the finer points of riding in a baht bus you have forgotten some of the most important rules;

1. Hang on tight
  2. Move closer to the cab as the opportunity arrives.

Hope you head feels better soon, don't go out for some bottled medication for a little while, it may not be of long term benefit.

Apart from the OP's injury and discomfort, I find this a reassuringly positive story.

The driver was sympathetic, offered water and was happy to forego the fare (I could imagine it very differently)

The Russsian passengers were equally helpful and sympathetic (again, I could imagine a very different reaction)

The pharmacist was professional and helpful.

I'm surprised more baht bus accidents don't happen.

I agree with that.

Mostly.

The Russians were great.

The pharmacist lady was amazing. Maybe that's normal here the way she acted but I didn't know that before.

I had worried she would be worried about blood stains in her shop.

I don't think it would happen that way at Boots.

I'm not so sure about the driver. He was just afraid there would be a problem. He was thrilled to see me leave without further hassle. Don't be naive

It's interesting that the local I talked to about this was adamant that even with the level of injury I had, that I SHOULD have insisted on compensation from the driver, implying any local would do that AND the driver would expect it.

He basically thought I was very stupid for not making a thing of it, which is one reason I posted about this. I am hoping we all can learn more about the culture around such incidents.

Edited by Jingthing

If this happened in some other places in the world, you might have a nice settlement to enjoy.

Hey at least you got some water.

smile.png

Yeah.

Well, I'm sure this didn't turn out to be a serious injury.

Of course I had to shell out the baht for bandages and ointments. Not to mention the pain and suffering which is worth at least 100 baht.blink.png

But it could have been more serious and I could have underestimated its severity at the scene.

So the cultural/legal issues remain relevant for people to consider if something like this, or much worse, happens to them.

Now I'm sure in a VERY SERIOUS accident where there is a major collision, severed limbs, etc. it would have been hard to avoid having police show up. This is more about the more grey areas.

Edited by Jingthing

I think you did great, if its not that serious why waste time on words, getting it cleaned out quickly in a tropical country is more important than fighting the good fight. Its also great that everyone was concerned and everyone helped you through the incident, must have restored your faith in human nature biggrin.png

So anyway, I think I probably didn't handle this correctly but there's the story in case anyone can learn from it.

Bit of a let down that! I was expecting to read about your battle with some swarthy mid-eastern types, handbag vs. knives style. sad.png

• Like 1