Bangkok monk arrested for sexually assaulting 14-year-old girl

webfact

Bangkok monk arrested for sexually assaulting 14-year-old girl

monk.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Police arrested a monk accused of raping a 14-year-old girl. The monk confessed to the crime, saying he was under influence of alcohol.

Phra Mahasanan Atipatto, 64, was hiding in Phayao province when the police apprehended him, following complaint from the girl that she had sexually assaulted her at his former temple, Wat Bang Bua, in Bang Khen District of Bangkok.

The girl told police the monk lured her to visit him at his temple in April this year by promising her free food, an offer she said she accepted because her family was in poverty. The monk reportedly raped her there before paying her 80 baht and threatening her not to tell anyone.

In spite of what happened, she said, she continued to visit the monk for food, due to her family′s financial situation. But she said she had taken care not to be with the monk alone during those visits.

On 28 May, however, when Phra Mahasanan reportedly called the girl to visit him for free food again, the girl came to see the monk with her 2 friends. The monk then asked the girl to buy him some alcohol so she went out buying the alcohol, leaving her friends with the suspect, according to the victim.

When she came back,she said, she saw the suspect touching her friends, so she ran inside, dropped the items on the floor and headed for the exit. Unfortunately the monk allegedly grabbed her and raped her again while her friends managed to escape.

Full story: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNM05UQTRPRFUwTnc9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-07-29

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A drunken paedophile rapist hiding behind religious clothing.

What's even more tragic is that the poor wee lass kept going back because her family was too poor to eat.

Tragic for her on so many levels.

How do you know she was wee?

The good news is that Thailand's monks are not above the law.

I actually think rdinary people DO THINK that monks are above the law. They also held Buddha responsible for all their stupid actions and tragedy in stead of learning the simple laws of cause and effect and start improving their lives. No the last free part of their mind has been hijacked by buddhism what is actually primitive anymism and the monks make use of it hence they can afford to keep building temples with gold plated roofs and drive in Rolls Royces with iPhones in their pocket.

• Like 2

"I did it because I was under the influence of alcohol."

What a pathetic, deplorable - nay, DISGUSTING - excuse for a BUDDHIST MONK to justify his raping of an underage girl.

Perhaps celibacy should be replaced by a requirement that everyone who decides that entering the monkhood or priesthood is their life's vocation must subject themselves to mandatory castration to keep those raging hormones in check and ensure that they don't succumb to weakness of the flesh. Just an idea. After all, it's a small price to pay for the bliss of being able to work for a 'higher power' (however delusional that may be in the first place).

Edited by Misterwhisper

Is it fair to say, that at least this good Buddhist was not refraining from alcohol consumption during the Buddhist- lent?

Another story of religious people, using their power with the poor.

Disgusting!

• Like 2

Same sh*t happens here in Cambodia all the time, too.

Celibacy is just a wrong concept; regardless if Buddhist Monk or Catholic Priest.

If they can't keep the vows they have taken then they shouldn't be in robes. Period. Abig part of this is how lax things are in many bangkok temples, and laypeople denying their respected monk when others come forward about his behavior - unless it becomes the MAJOR talk of the street, nothing will be done about it.

A monk who wants to adhere to the practice as outlined in the monastic code is shunned for not being 'sanook' enough, gossiped about for being to 'seriut', and until he can find a way to get out will be stuck with a bunch of grown men throwing tantrums like a small child.

outside of bangkok one will still find the same but not NEARLY as often.

It's great how thailand still has on order of monks, many who are sincere in practice - but if the council keeps turning their back and not taking action when it should, then it will become more of an embarrassment for thailand instead of the pride that was once there. Many temples in the country are often sparsely populated as they don't get invited to go chant at events (iow no donations - not sanook), it is quiet and eery at nighttime (iow very scary, ghosts), their friends arent there (no one to talk to about fun things - not sanook), etc. But the ones who stay are usually those who don't shirk off their duties.

I think many here don't realize that just because a guy ordains makes him a spot-free individual - it takes time to get ahold of ones not-so-desirable qualities and work at getting rid of them; but too often the prostration of oneself in front of one who is newly ordained is seen frequently.

• Like 2

So, let me get this straight... a 64 year old, Thai Buddhist monk, who was drunk on alcohol, raped a 14 year old girl.

Good grief. I am speechless. What can one say. Thai Buddhism needs a drastic overhaul, just like soooooo many things here in the land of scams (LoS).

Edited by WhizBang

I must be missing something here, is there no age limit on alcohol in Thailand, a 14 year old buying it????????, I thought you had to be over 18 to buy or consume it or at least you do in Australia.Isnt the first monk to do it and wont be the last, religion has a lot to answer for.

I must be missing something here, is there no age limit on alcohol in Thailand, a 14 year old buying it????????, I thought you had to be over 18 to buy or consume it or at least you do in Australia.Isnt the first monk to do it and wont be the last, religion has a lot to answer for.

cheesy.gif good one about the legal age!

Does no-one else find it suspicious that they catch a monk for disgusting illegal behaviour, right after they realise that they will probably never get the big criminal monk back from USA ?

Seems to me to be a knee-jerk reaction to placate the public

(this in no way condones the behaviour of this particular scum sucking bottom feeder)

• Like 1

Does no-one else find it suspicious that they catch a monk for disgusting illegal behaviour, right after they realise that they will probably never get the big criminal monk back from USA ?

Seems to me to be a knee-jerk reaction to placate the public

(this in no way condones the behaviour of this particular scum sucking bottom feeder)

I think you are reading too much into this. This sort of thing has happened before, and it will happen again.

• Like 1

If he had truly been under the influence of alcohol, i.e. been in a stupor, he would have had difficulty fornicating. Alcohol at such quantities at his age would have made maintaining an erection difficult and unlikely.

On a positive note, Minister Paveena is one of the few ministers since the 90's who has actually taken "ownership" of an issue. Her presence drives home the point that violence against the vulnerable is unacceptable and will be dealt with.

• Like 2

I am waiting for Chalerm to hold a press conference with the Monk, claiming that the girl has misunderstood what rape and intercourse actually is and that a miscommunication has taken place and that the Monk was simply praying and doing the 'laying on of hands' and that the alcohol was to assist with the burning of incense and candles. The Monk has undergone a series of medical tests and has come out completely negative in terms of being pregnant, therefore he could not have raped the 14 year old girl.

Why would the Minister for Labour become involved?

• Like 1