in case of problem in Thailand, the police are reliable?

patgreece

this was one of the question in my head when I arrived Thailand years ago. it is not a simple yes or no answer, and I take my time learning it :- )

OP, perhaps it is the joy of learning in the process of cultural shock ;- )

I differ somewhat. Yes if you break a law you are subject to a choice of either paying a bribe or double or more that and going to the police station and paying a fine.

If you have a problem with a neighbour they probably will be more willing to negotiate a compromise settlement where everyone loses a little rather than strictly applying the law.

They generally prefer inaction to actionl.

If you have a problem I consider most will try to find a solution to help you. They may take a commission for doing so or they may not.

Of course if you are drunk or disorderly or violent and they are forced to act they will...and the consequences may be very uncomfortable.

• Like 1

There are some very good Thai Police, if you're Farang, you'll get the good treatment normally.

Of course, if you are a typical high and mighty farang who can't stand the fact that the natives have power over him...... you may find it different.

• Like 2

If you can speak thai, not made a huge violation against thai laws, have a thai driving license, have a thai family with kids ( photo in wallet always ! ), remain calm and have a sense of humor then they are reliable. Reason; They do not know who you know. FEAR !!!!!!!!

Only once had need of Thai Police - they were very good.

Daughter (toddler) wandered off - she was playing on the swings etc in school next door, but fearing she would be in trouble hid when we went looking for her.

Best Beloved called Police, two pick up trucks full turned up within 20 minutes. Head Honcho deployed his troops and organised a search using all available locals. Stepson walked in holding daughter!

Police delighted, sat down and drank all my beer, and went on there way with merry shouts.

I quite like them, they have a couple of semi permanent vehicle check points near where I live, and they are always polite and cheerful!

Can't say the same for the Military Police who are occasionally in the area. They seem to have a real personality problem. Mind you, on reflection I have never met an MP of any nationality who doesn't have a personality problem!

I suspect that if you keep on the right side of the law they are fine.If you break the law, or throw your weight around, I suspect that they are probably rather unpleasant.

Edited by JAG
  • Like 1

RTP are a corrupt mafia.

Read one of my threads of the consequences of reporting a burglary at our own home.

I wouldn't trust a single one that I didn't know personally and for a very long time.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

OP - are you fresh off the boat?

Asking the question as you did implies that you have absolutely no knowledge of Thailand. You need to inform yourself not only about the Royal Thai Police and their many little quirks, but also about Thailand in general.

Otherwise your next post will be about how you spent 10,000 baht on Ping-Pong balls and lady drinks in a gogo bar in 5 minutes, took an attractive girl from Beach Road that had unexpected appendages who stole your wallet, laptop and cellphone, which you then report to the police and find your picture on the front page of the local farang newspaper.

Start googling! smile.png

EDIT: I just read some of the OP's other posts and apparently he's been visiting Thailand for 10 years and has a couple of condos in BKK. Hard to believe that in 10 years he's never had cause to have some sort of interaction with the BIB.

Edited by Gsxrnz

I think most negative experiences are with the highway cowboys and road-side shake down artists. They're not representative of the entire force. They're paid to do a job, and most do it. Just keep in mind they aren't well resourced, so there are limits to what they can achieve.

They are 100% reliable to be as unpredicatble as possible.............assuming they actually show up ands this is after you actually manage to contact them on the phone.

And it even happens that the police is helpful and does the job without corruption.....it happens.

That makes them very unpredictable because no one would think of that.

I think most negative experiences are with the highway cowboys and road-side shake down artists. They're not representative of the entire force. They're paid to do a job, and most do it. Just keep in mind they aren't well resourced, so there are limits to what they can achieve.

+1

There are some very good Thai Police, if you're Farang, you'll get the good treatment normally.

Of course, if you are a typical high and mighty farang who can't stand the fact that the natives have power over him...... you may find it different.

The police in America treat you worst. The Thai police are wonderful compare to America Police