Heart Surgery in India for $1,583 Costs $106,385 in U.S.

THAIPHUKET

If it turns out however that the newborn of the friend mentioned in the post above does have an abnormal heart condition which occurs in 1-2% of births in the USA he won't be looking so smart -- maybe the BHP hospital had reason to suspect?

And maybe there are unnecessary tests -- but to dispense with medical tests that have been generally accepted until that is the common wisdom can still be considered 'experimental'.

And I'm sure you'll be very happy to hear that the baby is a few months old now and in prefect health. Whatever it was in their case occurs in about 70% of new babies. Either the BHP staff was too incompetent to know that or they were trying to bilk my friend. Knowing the way BHP works, I'll go with the latter.

So if the baby was born at BHP and is now several months later in perfect health with no complications from the delivery, I guess the maternity staff at BHP must have known what they are doing.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If it turns out however that the newborn of the friend mentioned in the post above does have an abnormal heart condition which occurs in 1-2% of births in the USA he won't be looking so smart -- maybe the BHP hospital had reason to suspect?

And maybe there are unnecessary tests -- but to dispense with medical tests that have been generally accepted until that is the common wisdom can still be considered 'experimental'.

And I'm sure you'll be very happy to hear that the baby is a few months old now and in prefect health. Whatever it was in their case occurs in about 70% of new babies. Either the BHP staff was too incompetent to know that or they were trying to bilk my friend. Knowing the way BHP works, I'll go with the latter.

I'm sure Sheryl will be aware that the ...... reportedly bought into the surrounding hospitals around Pattaya last year,notwithstanding their otherwise excellent reputations at being an alternative destination to the "big three". Can just imagine the discussion to that one "or else the medical staff will wake up with eight bullet wounds to the head"

Only once have I fallen foul of one of these hospitals ,told them I'm fed up lying here,reply "the doctor will be around shortly" this was about 4 in the afternoon,I asked when? ,10 pm was the reply. Got out of bed unhitched the heart monitors etc,in the meantime the nurses were hooking up more drip bottles to the frame I was on,and the existing bottle was threequarterf lull,gave me the bill,I asked for the director of the hospital at that point,and I intimated that Id call the police. They shaved £400 off the bill

Struck out the name

Edited by pinfold

In legal circles they say a lawyer who represents himself in court has a fool for a client.

I don't know where I've encountered more people that know more than the doctors and hospitals and crooked health insurance companies but it sure is entertaining reading.

In legal circles they say a lawyer who represents himself in court has a fool for a client.

I don't know where I've encountered more people that know more than the doctors and hospitals and crooked health insurance companies but it sure is entertaining reading.

Yes you were "entertained" a while ago !!!!

... and still awaiting the further adventures of the 'Goa Kid' as he flies off to the west across the Adaman Sea for cures and treatments far beyond the competence and at a fraction of the cost of that available to us clueless and hopelessly mired here in Thailand

Edited by JLCrab

And I'm sure you'll be very happy to hear that the baby is a few months old now and in prefect health. Whatever it was in their case occurs in about 70% of new babies. Either the BHP staff was too incompetent to know that or they were trying to bilk my friend. Knowing the way BHP works, I'll go with the latter. (Perhaps I should have stressed the fact that the BHP staff was using some pretty immoral scare tactics on this lovely young couple.)

But I think for your peace of mind, whenever and whatever Thai hospitals tell you to do -- whatever tests they tell you that you need -- get the tests and do what they say without a second opinion. That will make you comfortable (and they will absolutely love you).

For my peace of mind -- presuming we are talking about an inpatient situation -- I will get whatever tests the doctors recommend and that my health insurance here in Thailand is willing to pay for as it will be at a hospital (barring an emergency) within their network so it will be their doctor doing the recommending.

... and still awaiting the further adventures of the 'Goa Kid' as he flies off to the west across the Adaman Sea for cures and treatments far beyond the competence and at a fraction of the cost of that available to us clueless and hopelessly mired here in Thailand

Was it two pages worth backwards and forwarding? something like that, you accusing everyone of being a nutcase who held out that you were wrong, a deranged idiot could see you were wrong,that was until some kindly soul eventually sat you down to give you the simplest of explanations,then you thanking them and off you go.

I know you like to get your teeth into other posters who offend you,just pages of drivel now expected from you,but as one recent replying poster to yourself replied"argue with someone else"

Good reply!!!

So if the baby was born at BHP and is now several months later in perfect health with no complications from the delivery, I guess the maternity staff at BHP must have known what they are doing.

I guess we could change topics if that's convenient for you, But let's try to keep in mind that we were talking about hospitals doing unnecessary tests. Keep the topic on track, lad -- that's only fair, isn't it?

Anybody who knows anything about the state of education in Thailand, with its students cheating, copying and generally doing anything to avoid learning,

I taught a MEP M6 class where just about everyone wanted to be a doctor and just about everybody cheated and coppied. The only student to get excepted into medical school was the one student who did not cheat or copy. She was a very hard and conscientious worker. Recently I have had a lot of exposure to Thai Doctors and have found everyone of them competent and professional. I'm sure they're bad doctors, but they're bad doctors in Canada as well.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

OK -- I would not classify the cardiac test on an infant as unnecessary although I guess some here would prefer to say that given hindsight. It was probably a routine and normal procedure given the circumstances and covered under a maternity package as negotiated by a health insurer in Thailand with the hospital. As described, it sounds like the baby's father felt he did not want to pay for the procedure from which one might infer he does not have health insurance for himself, his wife, and his young baby.

No further evidence of your trolling need be given. Bring your own fan. Can't get to India in time--hell, you might not be able to get to Bumrungrad in time. So?

A lot of valid points have been given here only have you sneer at them.

Sorry you just have an emotional bias against treatment in India.

It does make a difference when you have insurance paying for everything. Then, cost is no object of course. Not everyone is so lucky.

I trust Sheryl will come down on you shortly and end your fun.

OK -- I would not classify the cardiac test on an infant as unnecessary although I guess some here would prefer to say that given hindsight. It was probably a routine and normal procedure given the circumstances and covered under a maternity package as negotiated by a health insurer in Thailand with the hospital. As described, it sounds like the baby's father felt he did not want to pay for the procedure from which one might infer he does not have health insurance for himself, his wife, and his young baby.

Ya, whatever!

I don't see the point in trying to have a discussion with you. It seems that you are very unwilling to accept facts or what other people say. It must a terrible burden to go through life convinced that you are the only person who really knows what's right.

Thank you. I spent several years going to India... extremely talented people although I found the place a bureaucratic nightmare. If someone prefers to obtain medical treatment in India I don't see why not. The start of this topic (remember?) was an article on an Indian doctor trying to provide bare basic heart treatment procedures to the masses of Indian citizens getting by on $2 per day. And one way he decided to do so was to cut back on tests, procedures, and services that are the norm even in India.

What this topic turned into was another bash on the Thai medical system including unnecessary tests on vulnerable Thai couples and ripping heart monitor wires off one's body and threatening to call the police because the doctor was late and incompetent doctors and hospitals staffs.

And I think that is all just silly.

• Like 1

Thank you. I spent several years going to India... extremely talented people although I found the place a bureaucratic nightmare. If someone prefers to obtain medical treatment in India I don't see why not. The start of this topic (remember?) was an article on an Indian doctor trying to provide bare basic heart treatment procedures to the masses of Indian citizens getting by on $2 per day. And one way he decided to do so was to cut back on tests, procedures, and services that are the norm even in India.

What this topic turned into was another bash on the Thai medical system including unnecessary tests on vulnerable Thai couples and ripping heart monitor wires off one's body and threatening to call the police because the doctor was late and incompetent doctors and hospitals staffs.

I reiterate -- Whatever!

The Thais are excellent at marketing their "Land of Smiles" product and tourists flock here in ever increasing numbers so negatives be damned :)

In the mean time, if I require surgery, I will quietly check out India...

Been to a US hospital lately? Many Indian doctors practising medicine there :)

OH PLEASE STOP THIS BICKERING ; PLEASE PLEASE

back to the subject matter at hand and trying to use some realistic yard stick, here is the cost estimate of the Bumrungrad for a heart bypass surgery, (We don´t know what type of surgery Bloomberg is using for its $100.000 operation)

Much higher than India but still a token to what you have to pay in the US.

as to qualification of doctors, I think it is rather useless to generalize hospitals. Bumrungrad has only 1200 of these, impossible that all of them are roughly on the same level of compentence. But the same is true with any other hospital in the world. Having had an almost deadly accident I can ascertain= luck starts after survival= simply by pure chance being in the right hands of the right professional. Starting with the rescue team at the scene and hopefully ending with a good Physio- or whatever therapist.

post-64651-0-18501000-1375177311_thumb.p

I reiterate -- Whatever!

Facts? Post #9 was just crammed with facts.

Edited by JLCrab

back to the subject matter at hand and trying to use some realistic yard stick, here is the cost estimate of the Bumrungrad for a heart bypass surgery, (We don´t know what type of surgery Bloomberg is using for its $100.000 operation)

as to qualification of doctors, I think it is rather useless to generalize hospitals. Bumrungrad has only 1200 of these, impossible that all of them are roughly on the same level of compentence. But the same is true with any other hospital in the world. Having had an almost deadly accident I can ascertain= luck starts after survival= simply by pure chance being in the right hands of the right professional. Starting with the rescue team at the scene and hopefully ending with a good Physio- or whatever therapist.

price range Bumrungrad for single or multiple bypasses?

From my discussions with some hospital staff there may soon be a backlash against performing the more difficult procedures on fly-in fly-out patients. The patients are unwilling to spend all but the minimum recommended convalescence times before flying home or flying at all; there is difficulty in coordinating with doctors in the patient's home country which takes large amounts of staff time both medical and administrative, and for all but the largest hospitals is turning out to be not a profitable activity.

Skype them

Here the Bumrungrad price list to all kinds of procedures http://www.bumrungrad.com/en/realcost-thailand-surgery/procedures-surgery-cost-pricing

Here the Bumrungrad price list to all kinds of procedures http://www.bumrungrad.com/en/realcost-thailand-surgery/procedures-surgery-cost-pricing

These are tourist prices. I just called an (excellent) Indian hospital regarding the first pricing that list contains (Liver biopsy) 1cm biopsy 1500 rupees,...about £14....I guess you could equate all the listed prices

There is no question that medical care costs are lower in India than in Thailand. Whether or not the savings will outweigh the costs of traveling there depends very much on just how extensive/expensive a procedure is in question.

There is also no question that both excellent and terrible medical care can be had in both India and Thailand...and anywhere else. It would be just as naive and foolish to assume that going to a hospital in India guarantees good care as it would be to assume that it guarantees poor care.

Even within the same hospital, there is a wide range of competency.

Regardless of the country or hospital you choose, always choose the doctor with care.

It should also be noted that the cost of care in Thailand varies greatly and that there can be as much as a 10 fold difference between government hospitals and top end (price-wise) private ones. So before deciding to fly off to India on grounds of cost, make sure that you have researched the less expensive (but still good quality) options in Thailand.

• Like 1

Why did I bring up the issue at all? No bashing of Thai hospitals. But we had discussions about self-insurance. In this respect it is helpful to know of options, if you can there (leaving open the government plan to enforce insurance ))

There is no question that medical care costs are lower in India than in Thailand. Whether or not the savings will outweigh the costs of traveling there depends very much on just how extensive/expensive a procedure is in question.

There is also no question that both excellent and terrible medical care can be had in both India and Thailand...and anywhere else. It would be just as naive and foolish to assume that going to a hospital in India guarantees good care as it would be to assume that it guarantees poor care.

Even within the same hospital, there is a wide range of competency.

Regardless of the country or hospital you choose, always choose the doctor with care.

It should also be noted that the cost of care in Thailand varies greatly and that there can be as much as a 10 fold difference between government hospitals and top end (price-wise) private ones. So before deciding to fly off to India on grounds of cost, make sure that you have researched the less expensive (but still good quality) options in Thailand.

Your right.

But as to flying costs are concerned they are getting mighty cheap,recently looked at Air Asia £60 return to Calcutta,bit more Chennai,use either as hub to anywhere. If using Air India think BKK to Bom, Bom to GOI is free on Tues and Thurs was anyway a while ago)...New airline GO Air just sprang up plus Air Asia (India ) are flying soon.

Do not want to add anything more here except adding to your query, Ill bring forward a post I put in a while ago,to answer your specific Q