Heart Surgery in India for $1,583 Costs $106,385 in U.S.

THAIPHUKET

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Speaking to British doctor yesterday here in Thailand,he stated surgery in India was undeniably good,surgery especially.

Do not think you will get many comments here in Thailand, as far as medical matters are concerned India's a hidden world ,but for the rest of the world it seems it a number one choice.

I like it,saves a fortune too

• Like 1

Most prompt reaction with a substantive comment! thanks.

On India in general, it is a trial balloon,I learned never to underestimate what surprising info can come from TV members.

( At some point moderators may want to shift this post to another forum.

Do not want to reactivate a thread I started way back to "options to Thailand's medical "care" " (a few pages back) Sheryl will kick me off. But I had knee surgery there in India,the finest of the finest ,MRI operation, etc etc I had other procedures too and from estimate I garnered here in Thailand before taking the plunge there in India I calculated it cost me one fortieth of the cost here in Thailand.

Wait until you see the cost of western drugs there in India,unbelievably cheap. As a Yank you will be spared the cost of visa over a UK subject,is possible to get there without visa for urgent medical purposes but getting the airline to take you maybe a different matter

Interesting as I found India one of the filthiest unhygienic countries I ever visited.

I don't think they carry out heart surgery on the street anymore.

They have some excellent hospitals around India, that would put Thai hospitals to shame.

• Like 2

Anyone considering surgery (of any kind) in India should be aware that India has a significant problem with so called "super-bugs".

Many of these bugs are virtually treatable.

http://www.hpa.org.uk/Topics/InfectiousDiseases/InfectionsAZ/CarbapenemResistance/GeneralInformation/

http://www.biomerieux-diagnostics.com/servlet/srt/bio/clinical-diagnostics/dynPage?node=NDM#1.

In addition to making a careful choice of surgeon enquiry should always be made about post-operative infection rates.

Edited by jrtmedic

The heart surgery costs $1583 at Dr. Shetty's experimental clinic under the cost-cutting settings with which he is experimenting. I would say that would not be the expected price for the same surgery elsewhere in India.

Would you really enjoy recovering from heart surgery in India in a non-air conditioned room or ward so Dr. Shetty can cut down on his electric bill?

Edited by JLCrab

From jet ski, tuk tuk taxi,scooter,car renting scams Thailand's full of it,medically too. Never wanting to give up their fiefdom,I could count on one hand the amount of Thai hospital recommendations there are here on Thaivisa,all at a price(big ones)

India's a medical blessing,yes lived there years ago until "whitey" was given the boot,many faults for sure,but for medical issues I think it is faultless,just do not associate with a big international tourist hospital and you will be fine

Would you really enjoy recovering from heart surgery in India in a non-air conditioned room or ward so Dr. Shetty can cut down on his electric bill?

For the price, oh yes. Point that fan a little more towards me.

JLCrab

Well beyond the stage of being "experimental "!

http://www.narayanahospitals.com/centers/hospitals/?hid=14

From the Bloomberg article:

One of the ways in which Shetty is able to keep his prices low is by cutting out unnecessary pre-op testing, he said.

In other words, others think they are necessary ... maybe you have to bring your own fan?

Edited by JLCrab

For coronary bypass surgery in India -- for someone who is living in Thailand -- this all presumes one is in healthy and stable enough condition to make to the airport in BKK let alone travel to and await scheduling for surgery in India courtesy of Dr. Shetty or elsewhere.

JLCrab

Well beyond the stage of being "experimental "!

http://www.narayanahospitals.com/centers/hospitals/?hid=14

From the Bloomberg article:

One of the ways in which Shetty is able to keep his prices low is by cutting out unnecessary pre-op testing, he said.

In other words, others think they are necessary ... maybe you have to bring your own fan?

Yes, I'm sure they (and many many more) would be thought necessary at Thai hospitals like BHP.

A friend of mine and his wife just had their first child. It was delivered at BHP and soon after the birth, the doctor and nurses starting playing with this honest and wonderful young couple's heads by telling them that their new baby has an irregular heart rhythm (or something like that) and must be tested (at 50,000 baht for the test). Fortunately, my friend isn't a fool, so he contacted his family doctor in his home country and learned that what's happening is very common and of no concern. The 50,000 would have been spent unnecessarily, and the staff at BHP showed their true (dishonest) colours.

JLCrab

"One of the ways in which Shetty is able to keep his prices low is by cutting out unnecessary pre-op testing, he said.

In other words, others think they are necessary"

​Here is a huge list of "unnecessary" investigations / treatment which are common in the USA

http://www.choosingwisely.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Choosing-Wisely-Master-List.pdf

A second huge list is due for release this year !

http://www.abimfoundation.org/Initiatives/Choosing-Wisely.aspx

Pinfold

Not faultless !

Read my earlier post.

Anyone thinking about surgical treatment in India needs to be aware of the potential downside !

Yes was aware of your point,but the hospitals mentioned can be spotted a mile off,more mosquitoes inside them than outside.

India for me is the best medical care in the world,and Ive been to a few places.

PS fan or no fan a private room can be availed for something like £20 day (with AC)

Edited by pinfold

Dr. Shetty's

ironic name when seeking discounted heart surgery

Why? I looked up the word 'shetty' and it doesn't mean anything (doesn't exist as a word -- only as a last name). Certainly you're not saying that because if the 'e' was replaced with an 'i', it would sound like something else -- that would be too immature (even for TVF).

Edited by Wavefloater

If it turns out however that the newborn of the friend mentioned in the post above does have an abnormal heart condition which occurs in 1-2% of births in the USA he won't be looking so smart -- maybe the BHP hospital had reason to suspect?

And maybe there are unnecessary tests -- but to dispense with medical tests that have been generally accepted until that is the common wisdom can still be considered 'experimental'.

• Like 1

Pinfold

Not faultless !

Read my earlier post.

Anyone thinking about surgical treatment in India needs to be aware of the potential downside !

Yes was aware of your point,but the hospitals mentioned can be spotted a mile off,more mosquitoes inside them than outside.

India for me is the best medical care in the world,and Ive been to a few places.

PS fan or no fan a private room can be availed for something like £20 day (with AC)

The topic here is heart surgery not knee surgery so this all presumes you aren't dead before you can make to India optional AC upgrade room or otherwise.

pinfold

"Yes was aware of your point,but the hospitals mentioned can be spotted a mile off,more mosquitoes inside them than outside."

The point I was making has nothing to do with mosquitoes.

The issue concerns hospital acquired infection.

The references indicate the potential seriousness and the virtual untreatable nature of some of theses infections. These infections have spread out from India (originating in Delhi), Bangladesh and Pakistan to pose risks in the West.

This is not an issue to be lightly dismissed.

If it turns out however that the newborn of the friend mentioned in the post above does have an abnormal heart condition which occurs in 1-2% of births in the USA he won't be looking so smart -- maybe the BHP hospital had reason to suspect?

And maybe there are unnecessary tests -- but to dispense with medical tests that have been generally accepted until that is the common wisdom can still be considered 'experimental'.

And I'm sure you'll be very happy to hear that the baby is a few months old now and in prefect health. Whatever it was in their case occurs in about 70% of new babies. Either the BHP staff was too incompetent to know that or they were trying to bilk my friend. Knowing the way BHP works, I'll go with the latter. (Perhaps I should have stressed the fact that the BHP staff was using some pretty immoral scare tactics on this lovely young couple.)

But I think for your peace of mind, whenever and whatever Thai hospitals tell you to do -- whatever tests they tell you that you need -- get the tests and do what they say without a second opinion. That will make you comfortable (and they will absolutely love you).

Edited by Wavefloater
  • Like 1

I'm thinking of getting my johnson extended. Any idea of the costs in India? A "per inch" rate would be fine.

Don't forget to upgrade the balls. Won't work well without. sad.png

Chrome perhaps?

Or polished brass. I heard the brass in north India is excellent quality.

Edited by Payboy