Koh Phangan's Full Moon Party 25 years on

Thailand's Full Moon Party 25 years on
Once a peaceful gathering, the wild beach extravaganza now attracts 20,000 hardcore backpackers looking to party.
George Henton

Koh Phangan, Thailand - According to those there in late 1988, the first Full Moon Party on Thailand's Koh Phangan was a peaceful gathering of travelers from around the world, the full moon providing the only light available at night on the remote island.

Today, 20,000 people regularly cram the shores of Haad Rin beach, attracted by cheap alcohol, readily available drugs and, of course, the lure of a party often referred to as a backpackers' rite of passage in Southeast Asia.

This month's party was typical of what it has become 25 years later. A tawdry scene of increasingly intoxicated 20-somethings, each holding onto their buckets of booze as they stumble along the beach for hours on end. As the sun rose, hidden behind a grey blanket of clouds, the night's excesses were laid bear. Bodies littered the beach, semi conscious, surrounded by broken bottles and plastic buckets.

Full story: http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/inpictures/2013/07/201373091551508782.html

-- AL JAZEERA 2013-07-31

The first Full Moons had few hundred revelers, legend says the first was just someone's birthday party, same day as full moon.

The biggest full moons are Around December/January, counting up to 50.000.

Legendary was the new millennium party, when people arrived from avery part of the world didn't find any bed, ending sleeping inside restaurants in tends, everywhere and changing forever the structure of Haad Rin, when all the owners doubled in few months the number of the rooms available.

Good or bad, the FMP remains one of the biggest party happening in the world. Just should be a bit more professional organization...

Legendary was the new millennium party, when people arrived from avery part of the world didn't find any bed, ending sleeping inside restaurants in tends, everywhere and changing forever the structure of Haad Rin, when all the owners doubled in few months the number of the rooms available.

That was a good party. xpartytime2.gif.pagespeed.ic.V_K7hML3fS.

• Like 1

Fortunately the time I was there about 8 years ago, there was no full moon or half moon or no moon or one-quarter moon. Must have been 1/8 moon and there was no party for that moon yet. It was nice and peaceful on Haad Rin and the rest of Ko Pha Ngan for that matter. But based on what I've heard since then, development has taken off and it's only a matter of time before the island becomes Ko Samui II. So I'll probably never go back...and just hang on to the blissful memories I have of the place.

Once my favorite place in Thailand . Now its a cesspit for all that is wrong in society drugs mafia and extortion by the

authorities . But I am sure some one will call that progress I call it a shame to ruin what was once close to paradise.

• Like 1

Oh yes, KPG is the crappiest place in Thailand. Don't visit and tell all your friends to stay away, too.

You will always get people commenting on a place on hearsay. As you said, tell them not to come KPG is a hole laugh.png

• Like 2

The first Full Moons had few hundred revelers, legend says the first was just someone's birthday party, same day as full moon.

The biggest full moons are Around December/January, counting up to 50.000.

Good or bad, the FMP remains one of the biggest party happening in the world. Just should be a bit more professional organization...

50,000?

How do they get there and where do the stay? facepalm.gif

There are a huge amount of other tourist at Phangan and Samui in peak season, who do not attendt the Full Moon Party. More likely around 5,000 guests in average and up to 10,000 over Xmas-New Year. During the last year, foreign media has upgraded the number of visitors from over realistic 20,000 to 30,000, then 40,000 and latest 50,000 – way out of common sense. whistling.gif

Many people stay on Samui, not just on KP.... even the last FMP last week, one company I know of, took over 300 people back and forth... x a few more tour companies doing the same, that adds up ... even at this time of year, that's a far whack of people. wink.png ..... Most were probably a bit whacked too.... tongue.pngbiggrin.png

Many of FMP revelers doesn't sleep, a lot of 20/40 passengers speed boat shuttle Samui-Phangan up and down all the night and the day after. The 2 Mr Kao boats, Haad Rin Queen and Seaflower do extra cruises with an average 300 pax each both the night and the day after. Plus Lomprayah, Seatran, Songserm and Rajah Ferries. Plus dormitories and bunk beds rooms are mushrooming all around the island. So the 50.000 heads during the FMP night (a part of whom can be Thai or Burnese getting fun too) could be a bit pessimistic number too... laugh.png

• Like 1

Once a peaceful gathering, the wild beach extravaganza now attracts 20,000 hardcore backpackers looking to party.

George Henton

Koh Phangan, Thailand - According to those there in late 1988, the first Full Moon Party on Thailand's Koh Phangan was a peaceful gathering of travelers from around the world, the full moon providing the only light available at night on the remote island.

Today, 20,000 people regularly cram the shores of Haad Rin beach, attracted by cheap alcohol, readily available drugs and, of course, the lure of a party often referred to as a backpackers' rite of passage in Southeast Asia.

This month's party was typical of what it has become 25 years later. A tawdry scene of increasingly intoxicated 20-somethings, each holding onto their buckets of booze as they stumble along the beach for hours on end. As the sun rose, hidden behind a grey blanket of clouds, the night's excesses were laid bear. Bodies littered the beach, semi conscious, surrounded by broken bottles and plastic buckets.

Full story: http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/inpictures/2013/07/201373091551508782.html

-- AL JAZEERA 2013-07-31

Maybe a good time to build some good public toilets, so not everybody is pissing and shitting in the sea, it's disgusting place how can be proud of this its a so big no no

As well its really time to do some clean up on all the drug use

Have you ever been to Koh Phangan? Been to a Full Moon Party? Have you ever been to any island (apart from Phuket, Samui....)? smile.png I fully agree - public toilets must be built with the affluent flowing into the sea Thai style smile.png. Phangan's drug use is MINISCULE compared to BKK or Phuket, believe me.

George Henton

-- AL JAZEERA 2013-07-31

Maybe a good time to build some good public toilets, so not everybody is pissing and shitting in the sea, it's disgusting place how can be proud of this its a so big no no
As well its really time to do some clean up on all the drug use

OK, so I need to get this rant off my chest because it hurts. Most of the arm chair warriors and know-it-all-about-Phangan-critics on TV lap up one article and think they know whats bad and whats best for this beautiful island. The FMP is concentrated only on a small part of Phangan once a month. Yes, it can be a messy affair. Yes, it can attract 1000's of visitors to Thailand who will inevitably take a piss in the sea. Yes- as in any large public festival gatherings around the world- it will attract drugs and violence and some visitors to the island will go over the top. Yes - (dare I mention it)...any successful venture will grow into a bigger and ultimately less-controllable experience...that's life, that's business. No point crying over your memories of 1988. Don't keep judging an entire island culture and community on what you read in a random article. Phangan is beautiful, relaxed, comparatively very much unspoilt and under developed compared to the other major islands. It has a million other things to offer than buckets, mushrooms, psy-trance or comatose backpackers lying on the beach. And if the know-it-alls find it really difficult to believe that Phangan is not the monstrous shithole that you believe it is...please come down and experience the island life for yourself. There are not many big islands left in LOS that have retained its original Thai island uniqueness and chilled culture. Of course, you are always welcome to have a night out in Haad Rin if you get too bored of beach paradise..but that will be a 25km trip away from your bungalow. smile.png

Well said. clap2.gif

I live on Samui and I still love going to KPG for my holidaythumbsup.gif

• Like 2

I lived for 7 years on the island before relocating to Laos two years ago....but its still got a hold on me! Have'nt been back since but I am due a beach holiday VERY soon smile.png

OK, so I need to get this rant off my chest because it hurts. Most of the arm chair warriors and know-it-all-about-Phangan-critics on TV lap up one article and think they know whats bad and whats best for this beautiful island. The FMP is concentrated only on a small part of Phangan once a month. Yes, it can be a messy affair. Yes, it can attract 1000's of visitors to Thailand who will inevitably take a piss in the sea. Yes- as in any large public festival gatherings around the world- it will attract drugs and violence and some visitors to the island will go over the top. Yes - (dare I mention it)...any successful venture will grow into a bigger and ultimately less-controllable experience...that's life, that's business. No point crying over your memories of 1988. Don't keep judging an entire island culture and community on what you read in a random article. Phangan is beautiful, relaxed, comparatively very much unspoilt and under developed compared to the other major islands. It has a million other things to offer than buckets, mushrooms, psy-trance or comatose backpackers lying on the beach. And if the know-it-alls find it really difficult to believe that Phangan is not the monstrous shithole that you believe it is...please come down and experience the island life for yourself. There are not many big islands left in LOS that have retained its original Thai island uniqueness and chilled culture. Of course, you are always welcome to have a night out in Haad Rin if you get too bored of beach paradise..but that will be a 25km trip away from your bungalow. smile.png

Well said. clap2.gif

I live on Samui and I still love going to KPG for my holidaythumbsup.gif