Plodprasop says foreign help needed to contain oil spill: Rayong

webfact

Koh Samet cries for help: The massive size of spill leaves Thailand ill-equipped
By Coconuts Bangkok

oil_spill_0.jpg
Photo by Greenpeace

BANGKOK: -- The government admits to needing foreign help to continue cleaning efforts on Koh Samet and Rayong. Deputy Prime Minister Plodprasop Surawadi stated that Thailand is ill equipped to manage the spill alone and that foreign aide is now necessary.

Plodprasop also confessed that the Kingdom lacks equipment and that looking toward Singapore, who possesses the technology needed, could be the best bet.

The areas most affected by the spill are the environment, tourism and fishing industries and priorities are focused on protecting them. PTTGC has acknowledged fault in the spill and vow to “pay every baht” to cover the cost of cleaning efforts. PM Yingluck will request government to ensure the safety of locals and tourists.

The Prime Minister has also instructed assistance be sought from neighboring countries possessing the technology and equipped required for managing such a crisis.

As well, Energy Minister Pongsak urged individuals affected by the spill to negotiate compensation direct with PTTGC instead of suing the oil company. “Negotiation is a better option. Lawsuits could take more than 3 years to run their course.” He pointed to the fact that PTTGC has taken responsibility for the disaster, which includes covering costs for those affected by the crisis.

Pongsak has ordered Rayong officials to draw a list of people hit by the spill to aid in a speedy compensation. [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/07/31/koh-samet-cries-help-massive-size-spill-leaves-thailand-ill-equipped

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-07-31

Well.....it's big news on CNN (Asia) and other international agencies.

Even this government can't hide from this disaster.....! International help is their only option to reduce the huge embarasement and further loss of face.

"The government admits to needing foreign help to continue cleaning efforts on Koh Samet and Rayong. Deputy Prime Minister Plodprasop Surawadi stated that Thailand is ill equipped to manage the spill alone and that foreign aide is now necessary."

So, I suppose that yesterday's statement that this would be cleaned up by "tomorrow" was another deception from official sources. Anyone surprised by that?w00t.gif

• Like 1

"The government admits to needing foreign help to continue cleaning efforts on Koh Samet and Rayong. Deputy Prime Minister Plodprasop Surawadi stated that Thailand is ill equipped to manage the spill alone and that foreign aide is now necessary."

So, I suppose that yesterday's statement that this would be cleaned up by "tomorrow" was another deception from official sources. Anyone surprised by that?w00t.gif

Now the whole world will see who shall help. I bet the Chinese who claim they are Gods to the World will give the most. Next will be the Saudis and the Iranians

No

I don't think they are asking for money. They need material help in cleaning up the oil spill. They need expertise and equipment.

It the same Lets see who help So it will still be the same Chinese Saudis Iranians as they love to help out and so good at it

Plodprasop wants to go shopping. They have plenty of equipment.

• Like 1

PTT is a large international oil company and it hasn't coordinated with the government for just this?

Unbelievable and shameful.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

And Thailand want to run high speed trains, Nuclear power stations !!!!

• Like 1

PTT is a large international oil company and it hasn't coordinated with the government for just this?

And of course there have never been oil-related disasters off the US and UK coasts courtesy of US and UK firms.....pffff... Edited by 15Peter20
  • Like 1

And of course there have never been oil-related disasters off the US and UK coasts courtesy of US and UK firms.....pffff...

Yes you are correct but I think you will find we do have the resources to coup and if not don't lose face in asking for helptongue.png

And of course there have never been oil-related disasters off the US and UK coasts courtesy of US and UK firms.....pffff...

Yes you are correct but I think you will find we do have the resources to coup and if not don't lose face in asking for helptongue.png

They have ample resources to coup. Mmmmm

Of course they have but the UK or US dont need to call on international help for a 50 ton oil spill because they lack the resources to deal with it themselves.

Sure hope the foreigners have work permit or they will be in trouble afterwards ..wai2.gif

This was my first thought. Right, you've helped, now piss off or risk prosecution. They have the money when it suits - let them deal with it themselves.

• Like 1

What is it about some TV members that they can't wait to slag the Thais off when a disaster happens?

Here are the facts : There has been a oil spill, the government has not tried to cover this up and is now doing the right thing in asking for help yet some TV members cannot wait to stick the knife in about incompetence/corruption/mismanagement etc etc

Honestly why do you bother? These disasters happen all over the world but some people on here think they only happen in Thailand judging by the comments on TV when there is a Train/Bus crash disaster etc

You lot make me sick with your slagging off of Thais. why do you live here when all you do is write stupid unhelpful posts on TV and no doubt other forums about how incompetent Thais are?

Edited by darrendsd

What is it about some TV members that they can't wait to slag the Thais off when a disaster happens?

Here are the facts : There has been a oil spill, the government has not tried to cover this up and is now doing the right thing in asking for help yet some TV members cannot wait to stick the knife in about incompetence/corruption/mismanagement etc etc

Honestly why do you bother? These disasters happen all over the world but some people on here think they only happen in Thailand judging by the comments on TV when there is a Train/Bus crash disaster etc

You lot make me sick with your slagging off of Thais. why do you live here when all you do is write stupid unhelpful posts on TV and no doubt other forums about how incompetent Thais are?

When disasters are caused due to corruption/mismanagement/incompetence all over the world, many TV members would be quick to execrate the guilty too. It is just because this is a Thailand based forum you get the impression so many of us are anti Thai.

• Like 2