Advice needed: budget Android mobile for 3G video calling

th MIL may not be using data, but the phone will

Yes, from what I've been reading, Skype the mobile app does consume some small amount of data just by being set to online.. even without any calling. From what I read, you can avoid that by placing Skype in offline mode on the phone.

Either way, it shouldn't be a major impediment.

Tango, meanwhile, operates differently from Skype. So I think it doesn't use data in the same way when simply running in the background.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Alcatel 908 one touch, 2600 baht on lazzada , I just got one as back and it's excellent

Have you tried it with Skype, Tango or other video calling over 3G or wifi?

Skype yes, do not use others and it works great, i mean for the price just can not go wrong(mind you on Lazzada its on 50% off sale)

Thanks much LC!

I just re-read your question, so to clarify skype chat and call ok, but no video calling

I just re-read your question, so to clarify skype chat and call ok, but no video calling

I had the same problem with the Alcatel 918 - there was a work around if you manually installed an older Skype apk installer, but still couldn't get video to work. I do like those Alcatel phones though, handy as a back up phone.

I guess that Skype response isn't exactly clear if they mean TOTAL data use for both ends of the call...or just on one end.

30 Mega-Bytes per minute is the total upstream and downstream requirement for your MiL, actually it's probably closer to 36 Mega-Bytes per minute. ;) Perhaps now you can understand where I arrived at the 15 minutes per month figure (assuming 500 MB)? ;)

Your Wife would also consume 30 - 36 Mega-Bytes per minute, be it on her wired/WiFi network or 3G network. Maybe best to stop all internet activity while she is video calling?

Here's what Tango support reported in response to a 2011 support query:

If you have a plan that limits your data consumption, then on average, approximately 2GB of data will be used if you make 450 minutes of video calls over 3G or 4G.

So that would suggest, a 1 GB AIS 3G plan ought to provide about 225 minutes of video calling per month before the Fair Use speed reduction point would be reached.

http://support.tango.me/entries/20516293-How-much-data-does-Tango-use-

Loma, regardless of where Skype works out from a data use perspective, they're hardly the only data video calling app for Android phones that's available...

I've used Tango for video calling between Android mobiles, and it works quite nicely. And I wouldn't have any problem paying for a 1G AIS plan to get 200+ minutes of video calling per month, as an adjunct to the existing Skype unlimited voice to MIL calls that would cost the MIL nothing.

And that 3G video calling use would be BEFORE getting into any kind of Fair Use speed limitation.

I do not think that there is any mil-friendly smartphone available. I personally prefer android, but thinking of explaining to mil or even my mother what to do if..... makes me shiver. Imagine things like updates, sign out, login not to mention accidentally turning 3g off and trying to explain her how to re-connect, this could be difficult.

Therefore I would suggest Apple. Whilst I hate to be told what I am suppose to do with my device, apples policy is best for elderly and kids....

I would suggest an IPad mini with 3g. Better size for video calling than phones. Anybody, please correct me, but Skype runs on iPad, no?

Secondly when it comes to data usage, video calling is quite intense. I remember that the quality seem to get adjusted according to connection speed available. I definately made calls using 3-4mb per minute in the past. So whatever you do, get you mil a really large plan.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice...

Recall, because it's for the MIL, one of my opening criteria was a low-cost budget device that I wouldn't fret over if it got broken or otherwise messed up upcountry... So aiming for an Apple tablet might be a bit difficult in that context...

Re Android, I do think, as long as I set everything up in advance, that the MIL ought to be able to handle it. And she has an adult son in the neighborhood who's at least decently versed on Android smartphones. So if she was to mess something up or need help, the adult son ought to be able to help... But I do admit, the tech issue involved here is a bit of a concern.

FWIW, my wife also doesn't understand much of anything about the Android smartphone she uses every day. But once it's been set up for her with the proper apps and Google account tie-ins etc,... she manages to use it quite well by herself most of the time... Just turn it on, keep it charged, and not much more than that. Though admittedly, she's clearly a bit more tech savvy than her older Mom.

I've also thought about the alternative of getting them a fixed line house phone (which they don't currently have), DSL service and then setting up a Wifi router for the house...and then just having the MIL use a wifi-equipped Android phone. But that wouldn't escape any of the underlying issues with using an Android smartphone... That's why I've been thinking the 3G approach might actually be easier.

If I end up getting a low-cost smartphone with 3G data and the MIL can't handle it over time, even with the son's local help, then I'm not really out much for having tried... and just could retrieve the smartphone, cancel the 3G account, and keep the smartphone as a backup here in our home.

But..thus far, other than the couple of I-Mobile suggestions, there haven't been a lot of recommendations for budget Android smartphones here that are capable of 3G video calling...

Well, I ran a series of tests at home this evening using the Tango video calling app for Android, and my wife and my two Android smartphones... using wifi on my end to call her, and then setting her phone to use 3G on one test and then our house wifi on the second test.

As might be expected, it does seem to make a difference -- apart from the ongoing video -- on the extent of the audio content going back and forth.

The first test I ran with Tango basically just had both mobiles running video, and then just ambient noise in the room and a bit of talking. And that produced a send and receive data rate as measured by the app 3G Monitor of about 4 MB per minute on the receiving phone, which was using 3G. My phone was using our house wifi.

But then, I re-ran that same test with a Tango call where my wife and I had very active and constant verbal conversation throughout the call, with both mobiles using our house wifi, and ended up measuring a data rate (combined send and receive) on my wife's receiving mobile of about 7.3 MB per minute.

For comparison purposes, the Tango support FAQ from 2011 that I posted on above cited an implied video calling 3G data use rate of about 4.5 MB per minute (450 minutes of 3G video calling from a 2 GB data plan). 2 GB equaling about 2048 MB, divided by 450 minutes, equaling 4.55 MB per minute.

So if the active conversation 7.3 MB video calling data rate on wifi were to hold true, using Tango video calls with a 1GB AIS plan ought to yield about 139 minutes per month... or better than two hours in total. I think that would be great for my wife and her mother, if we could achieve that.

And frankly, we might in the real world do better than that, especially if the 3G data flow upcountry where my wife's mom lives doesn't support as much throughput as we got here in BKK for my tests.

Meanwhile, I'll try to do the same kind of test with Skype on both mobiles, using 3G and then wifi, and see how those results compare with Tango.

FWIW, I see absolutely no settings available in the Tango Android app to control or adjust the quality of the call's video stream.

However, I do see in the 4.002 version of the Skype Android app that they now do have, under Settings, a choice to set "Video Quality" to either Low or High. So I guess I'll have to try both in my Skype testing.

I-mobile is very OK for lower cost 3g android. If you just would like to see how well it works and if it is worth it, perhaps you should start with a pre-owned one. They are everywhere. I suggest fortune town.

Best of luck.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestion. I know a lot of folks here like the latest fancy models from I-Mobile with bigger screens and such. But for my purpose, I may look more seriously at some of the generation or two back I-Mobile models that are likely to be had at even better prices right now -- so long as they have dual cameras and can support 3G video calling.

Thanks for the suggestion. I know a lot of folks here like the latest fancy models from I-Mobile with bigger screens and such. But for my purpose, I may look more seriously at some of the generation or two back I-Mobile models that are likely to be had at even better prices right now -- so long as they have dual cameras and can support 3G video calling.

Tesco Lotus is a good place to start - have noticed that they often have a bargain bin promotion on the older generation models at a decent discount. Good way to pick up a decent functional phone with the specs you need without paying for new model price.

The motorola Defy XT535 is good value for money, not fast as hell but still responsive and with a lot of features, gps, waterproof, 2 cams, etc... and just 4000 thb http://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=Motorola+XT535+Defy+XT+-+Black+Dust&baseUrl=&submit=

I recently bought an Iphone4 form true move for 6900 thb with a 2gb data plan of 12 month. http://store.truecorp.co.th/product/detail/42/iPhone_4#promotion I am satisfied of both motorola and apple devices because both a great value for money, but the Iphone is easy to use and far better in so many ways. Hope it will help. Cheers

Thanks for that suggestion... I looked up the specs on the XT535 and it actually looks like it would fit the bill for what I've asked for above... with one exception. It appears to be an 850/2100 Mhz bands 3G phone, which wouldn't work well with AIS's legacy 900 Mhz 3G network. And both my wife and her Mom use AIS.

But for 4000 baht, dual cameras, dust and water proof/resistant, wifi and a lot of other features, and if you don't mind the older Android Gingerbread OS, it looks like a nice low-budget option...for DTAC or True customers.

Alcatel 908 one touch, 2600 baht on lazzada , I just got one as back and it's excellent

Have you tried it with Skype, Tango or other video calling over 3G or wifi?

I have had the Alcatel One Touch 918 - and while it is a good phone, it cannot support skype. Specs on the 908 are similar, so I would be surprised if this can do video calling with Skype. Only running 2.2

Re Alcatel, I know zippo about their mobile phones... But your comments above made me start looking, and I came across a different Alcatel model, the One Touch 995, that does appear to fit the bill... priced at 4500 baht on Lazada.

http://www.lazada.co.th/Alcatel-One-Touch-995-White-82918.html

On GSMArena, it shows as a Gingerbread OS phone upgradeable to ICS, 5 MP front and VGA rear facing cameras, 900/2100 Mhz 3G capable, 4.3 in., 16M color screen, 512 MB RAM, micro SD card capable, wifi, bluetooth, etc...

Seems like it could work for my intended purpose.

Though I bought my Android ICS 8 inch AT&T Pantech Element tablet with dual cameras and 3G data capable (albeit 850/2100 Mhz only) for about the same price, if we're talking $150 +-.