'Thaksin's return home is long overdue'

Lite Beer

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW
'Thaksin's return home is long overdue'

30211830-01_big.jpg
Somchai

BANGKOK: -- Former prime minister Somchai Wongsawat, who heads the ruling Pheu Thai Party's strategy committee, defends the government, the amnesty bill proposed by party MPs, and his wife, in an interview with Nation News Agency's Chanikarn Phumhiran and Samudcha Hoonsara.

Why is the Pheu Thai pushing for the amnesty bill now?

MPs had earlier voted to put Pheu Thai MP Worachai Hema's bill at the top of the parliamentary agenda. The party wanted to deliberate the 2014 fiscal budget bill, but the committee vetting the bill has yet to finish it.

Will this bill spark conflicts inside and outside Parliament?

It depends if people respect the majority decision.

This bill aims to pardon people - both the red shirts and the yellow shirts - who joined the protests with honest intentions.

I believe people who oppose this bill do not have pity for those people.

How would you sum up the current situation, since the Democrats are responding in full force?

I personally believe political rallies this time will not escalate. I hope they do not spark any serious issues that impact the country.

The opposition has interpreted the word "leaders" in the bill as people such as ex-PM Thaksin Shinawatra, what do you think?

The committee vetting the bill will have to identify them. I cannot see how Thaksin can fall in this category. This bill has made it clear that the word 'leaders' does not include Thaksin. But this depends on how each individual interprets it.

If the amnesty bill and the Bt2-trillion loan bill are passed, do you think the government will serve a full term?

The government will stay a full term because Thais voted us in with 265 seats. If the government does not stay the full term, it will be because of a military coup and the military has reiterated that this will not happen.

Do you think the Bt350-billion loan decree and Bt2-trillion loan bill violate the law?

The government is likely to proceed with the [anti-flood] project. If the government causes any fallout, it will not be allowed to return. Corruption allegations are not the reason that all of the water projects must be scrapped. Corruption cases can be proved in court.

Are you worried that opponents will bring down the government by using legal tactics?

They are resorting to all legal tactics possible. It is tiring, but we must move forward because we have a social contract.

If we do nothing about incidents like the massive flooding in 2011, how can we survive until today? This is a must-do job. Bt350 billion may sound like a lot, but if we can help prevent loss of life, even one life is worth it.

Reports say that Chiang Mai MP Yaowapa Wongsawat [somchai's wife] has been accused of corruption in the rice-pledging scheme.

I must insist that Yaowapa has not gained anything. I guarantee this with my life. If Yaowapa took even one single baht, you can come and behead me.

I have a duty to keep politics as calm as possible and do anything that does not adversely affect the Yingluck government or Yingluck herself.

We have never thought of using her position to make money, we are more civilised than that. I am not rich, but I have never made money illegally. This is because of my background as a judge. My family would never do such things. The fact that Yaowapa is Yingluck's sister has caused people's imagination to run wild. This project has suffered losses, but losses and corruption are different issues. If corruption is suspected, there must be an investigation. We are close to former commerce minister Boonsong Teriyapirom, but that does not mean we have teamed up for the purposes of exploitation.

Will the government stumble if the National Anti-Corruption Commission finds the corruption allegations in the rice-pledging scheme are true?

The government and the PM issued this policy. Corruption has nothing to do with the PM. Arrest the people who are corrupt not the one who issues the policy.

Is it possible that independent agencies could a factor in the collapse of the government?

I hope not. I am confident that they are neutral. Even though no agency can check the independent agencies, people can.

Is it time for Thaksin to return home?

It is long overdue. Everyone wants justice. You can starve, bake in the sun, but you cannot withstand injustice. When Thaksin said he wanted to return home in style, it did not mean he would be dressed attractively when he stepped out of the plane. What he meant was that when he returned, he did not want to see people fighting one another.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-08-07

• Like 1

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes return in handcuffs is long overdue.

The article shows the determination to get him back no matter what.

The bill will give amnesty to those who joined protests with " honest intentions " but what about those who set fire to parts of Bkk and those who encouraged and incited them ? Of I forgot, the latter got promoted.

How so? He said the Bill does not extend to the former PM.

The committee vetting the bill will have to identify them. I cannot see how Thaksin can fall in this category. This bill has made it clear that the word 'leaders' does not include Thaksin. But this depends on how each individual interprets it.

• Like 2

The bill will give amnesty to those who joined protests with " honest intentions " but what about those who set fire to parts of Bkk and those who encouraged and incited them ? Of I forgot, the latter got promoted.

How so? He said the Bill does not extend to the former PM.

I think that last sentence may be the stay out of gaol card thaksin and his puppets will hope to play. No doubt the individual will be someone PT trust/ control.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

I think it's disgraceful that a person in such a senior, responsible position can openly support the return of the fugitive criminal, whilst at the same time suggesting that he remains impartial in all of this.

Yes, his return is long overdue, but not in the way that Somchai is suggesting. He should be returned here in chains to begin his sentence for crimes already proven. Whilst serving that time, he can also appear before the courts to answer to the numerous other fraud/imbezzlement charges against him.

And in a democratic court of the people he should be facing additional charges for his attack on Bangkok, Thailand and its people in 2010, and being held accountable for the deaths of those lost in his / that political uprising.

• Like 2

I think it's disgraceful that a person in such a senior, responsible position can openly support the return of the fugitive criminal, whilst at the same time suggesting that he remains impartial in all of this.

Yes, his return is long overdue, but not in the way that Somchai is suggesting. He should be returned here in chains to begin his sentence for crimes already proven. Whilst serving that time, he can also appear before the courts to answer to the numerous other fraud/imbezzlement charges against him.

And in a democratic court of the people he should be facing additional charges for his attack on Bangkok, Thailand and its people in 2010, and being held accountable for the deaths of those lost in his / that political uprising.

Too bad Thailand doesn't have judges like Judge Judy and Judge Pirro on the bench.

• Like 2

I agree that he should be brought home! "either in a coffin" or "in chains"

For God's sake he is a convicted criminal 'a felon'

They should encourage Al_Qaeda to put an end to all this 'argy-bargy' immediately bah.gif

• Like 1

Too bad Thailand doesn't have judges like Judge Judy and Judge Pirro on the bench.

Ha Ha Yes Judge Judy would have all this wrapped up in 20 minutes. Straight forward, honest -no nonsense. hung drawn and quartered.

I just loved that program -breath of fresh air. Good -but a big laugh at times.

I remember this guy.

The peacefully yellow shirts ambushed him and he had to scurry over a wall at Dusit Zoo to save himself from a lynching.

No?

Did anybody prosecute that mob or are the criminals walking free I wonder?

Yes, this guy was "in charge" when the international airport was commandeered and closed by the yellow shirts.

It's been a long time, he has been punished for sure by not being able to come home.

I think that the amnesty is a good thing, and Thaksin should be allowed to come home at last. But, with one condition: His prison sentence which was for a criminal offense still needs to be served, even if he does a token few months and is released on parole.. and with that criminal record he should be barred from politics.

• Like 2