New Zealand dairy giant issues global botulism alert: Thailand at risk

Lite Beer

Either NZ authorities have their dates wrong, or the Thais...

From the original article: 'Three batches of whey protein concentrate manufactured in May last year recently tested positive for Clostridium botulinum.'

Thai response: 'In light of Fonterra's move to recall its product, Deputy Secretary General of Food and Drugs Administration (FDA), Srinuan Kodchakorn said the FDA has instructed the local importers of the New Zealand's products to quickly pull the goods bought during May 2013 off the shelves.'

the most important part is MISSING, WHICH BRANDS of infant formula and sportsdrinks !!!

or we must be glad that it gets reported at all

Stay away from anything imported from NZ until then, is what I'm going to do.

I just checked all my products and I am not using anything from NZ, just Denmark and America. I didn't even know Sargento was an American product.

It's surprising that the contaminated batches actually got through Fonterra's QC system. NZ food safety standards are amongst the highest in the world and Fonterra's own internal regulations for collection and processing of raw milk are so stringent it's OTT. Even their requirements for 3rd party storage companies is verging on the ridiculous.

I sincerely hope that the contaminated product is satisfactorily traced and end products are withdrawn before anybody suffers illness or worse.

However - Fonterra is an overly powerful co-operative and also too big for their boots in the dairy servicing industry in NZ. I've got no real sympathy for Fonterra and this will bring a wry smile to many of those that are service providers to them. biggrin.png

I worked in a company with excellent internal regulations in a country with very high standards.

But still that doesn't prevent someone to just ignore every regulation all the time.

often it needs just 1 idiot.

The CEO of Fonterra was quoted in one of the earlier news reports in this thread as saying the following:

Dairy products such as fresh milk, yoghurt, cheese, spreads and UHT milk products are not affected," said Spierings in a statement.

That list, of course, leaves out things like the Dumex infant formulas that are being recalled by the Thais.

My girlfriend is 6 months pregnant and was using Fromterra products.... Now massively reduced in local Big C (north Pattaya) but not removed from shelves. Disgusting

What products are safe?

* All infant formula products EXCEPT Karicare Stage 1 and Karicare Stage 2 and Dumex (overseas).

* Fresh dairy products such as milk, cheese and yoghurt.

* Frozen products such as ice cream.

* Milk powder.

So unless your girlfriend is eating infant formula product, she should be okay eating any of the other products.

• 4 weeks later...

My girlfriend is 6 months pregnant and was using Fromterra products.... Now massively reduced in local Big C (north Pattaya) but not removed from shelves. Disgusting

This from the CEO of Fonterra on 28/08/2013:

"Fonterra chief executive Theo Spierings defended the company's multimillion-dollar recall of dairy product thought to contain a botulism-causing bacteria, despite it proving to be a false alarm.

The Ministry for Primary Industries said it had received results confirming that the bacteria found in the whey protein concentrate (WPC) manufactured by Fonterra was not the botulism-causing clostridium botulinum.

As it turned out, the organism was confirmed as clostridium sporogenes, which is not capable of producing botulism causing toxins, the ministry said.

Spierings said the cooperative had done the right thing and with the recall and that it would do the same again, if confronted by similar circumstances".

So no problems with girlfriends or babies consuming Fonterra products.

So this NZ company put customers first and ordered a recall even though it wasn't really sure if there was a problem. Better to be safe than sorry, and to do what they did knowing that they would lose money, damage their brand and suffer with image problems is a rare thing in this day and age...............if only the "bankers" in the USA had done the same in 2007.