Best Indian in Pattaya?

mcyachty

There is also a hole in the wall place on SSCC near the route cc bar. Same side, a bit closer to Sukhumvit. Ate there once and the food was quite good. Zero ambience, though.

I've noticed that place a few times when driving past. It looks like an Indian version of the standard Thai roadside place one sees everywhere, and so gives the impression that it might be good and reasonably priced.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does Indian by Nature still do its Sunday brunch "buffet" for 490B? It's still on their website.

Not quite a buffet in that the food is brought to you straight from the kitchen according to what you like/ask for, rather than you serving yourself from a table. As such it would probably be better for groups of people rather than sad losers who eat alone, which is why I've never tried it.

Indian Chimney is just off Beach Road in North Pattaya

It's on the corner of Soi 5, and not way down near Walking Street/Pattaya Tai where the Trip Advisor map puts it. (I hate Trip Advisor; surely the world's most inaccurate website. Almost everything you read on it is factually incorrect or incomplete.)

Indian Chimney is just off Beach Road in North Pattaya

It's on the corner of Soi 5, and not way down near Walking Street/Pattaya Tai where the Trip Advisor map puts it. (I hate Trip Advisor; surely the world's most inaccurate website. Almost everything you read on it is factually incorrect or incomplete.)

Wow. I hadn't realized how wrong the map is!

I think it is in the same "mall" type thingie as ANEGO Japanese restaurant (there is a big sign for that). 

What is the best indian resturant in south pattaya ? ..or is that an oxymoron ?

Hard to say which is the best.

For vegetarian only, try Saras.

For buffet try the place at the Beverly Hotel, 220 baht. 

Indian Touch has decent thalis. 

For an interesting kind of Indian/American fast food fusion try CHIC PUNJABI (new place, try it!)

I used to like Punjabi Tadka for North Indian but no recent experiences. 

Edited by Jingthing

The Fishermans, out on the edge of lake Maprachan East Pattaya. Good every time!

genuine question - isn't that just reheated supermarket curries? Not been there in 6 years or so...

The Fishermans, out on the edge of lake Maprachan East Pattaya. Good every time!

genuine question - isn't that just reheated supermarket curries? Not been there in 6 years or so...

Definitely not, they have an "Indian" chef, tandoor oven and make everything fresh so far as I can tell.  Bit pricey but good.  Also good on the dark-side is the place on Siam Country Club Road, opposite SP5.

• Like 2

Not at all, everything is made fresh to order. Big open kitchen, so you can see your food being cooked.

• Like 1

Does anyone knows where to buy Indian Food ingredients in Pattaya? Restaurants are tasteless, expensive, dirty and most of the time double pricing foreigners. The Indian tourists pay different prices in most of them.

I agree Pattaya is NOT in any way, shape, or form a great town for Indian food.

However, there are SCADS of Indian restaurants.

I don't really believe the majority of menu Indian restaurants are offering discounts specifically based on nationality.

I do know for the TOUR GROUP buffets those on the tour are paying MUCH LESS than retail customers. But that's retail customers of any nationality.

That would also apply to TOUR GROUPS going to a regular restaurant and getting an organized meal, no, that isn't priced at normal menu retail.

I also agree there are issues with getting decently spiced food (if you are not Indian)

Expensive -- yes I agree the Indian food does seem overpriced in this market

Ingredients? Here goes. There are I think a few specific Indian groceries here:

http://www.vchotelresort.com/location.html

See the soi just above Wat Sikh on the map? That soi. 

I keep eating at the less than stellar local Indian restaurants because I just really love Indian food, and some of them are good enough to satisfy me at a serviceable level.

As far as cooking, I like to cook myself but in reading about cooking Indian food, I've just decided that it's too much bother for me. 

(I cook mostly Chinese style food which is even harder to get decent versions of locally than Indian.)

Edited by Jingthing

JT, I agree that Indian is very subjective and you obviously have done plenty legwork on these places around Pattaya.

Have you tried the place on east side of Second Road, almost opposite the entrance to the Marriott hotel beside RGM? The name escapes me at the moment but I have dined in there twice and did a takeaway once. I thought it was rather good and in the mid-to-high price range. Just so I don't go gallivanting off to a place that you recommend and find it dismal because our tastes differ.

I will give the Beach Road/Soi 5 Chimney a shot when I get back. Can't go wrong with a buffet to sample the wares!

Thanks,

NL

I think it's 240B now and is barely worth half that. Disappointing is about the nicest thing one can say about it, not that any of the others I have tried were any better. In London you can get much better vegetarian Indian buffets for less cost.

Badshah and Spices II have closed down recently, not that they were any better.

At 300B Dicey Reilly has the best value Indian buffet in town that I know of as the ingredients (and the decor) there are infinitely better than the standard Pattaya Indian place, but it is seriously let down by the absurdly over-priced drinks (80B for a small bottle of water) and the way they toned down the spices leaving it all rather tasteless and stew-like. A real shame as last year it was tasty.

Ok all,

We went to Indian By Nature this evening. Went in and it certainly had the decor to say it was not a cheap or dingy place. Service could not have been better.

We ordered the lamb briyani, chicken rogan josh, palak paneer and some naan bread. Flavours were good but I have to say the dishes could have had more. Plenty of sauce but lacking pieces of chicken in the case of the rogan josh.

Bill came to 900 Baht.

Overall the service was top notch and could not fault. The food was good and probably rate about a 7 but maybe I am harsh.

Probably will go back but might try a couple of other suggestions made in previous posts.

• 1 month later...

Hey thanks all.

I have a few very good leads and Indian Chimney or Indian By Nature sound like the front-runners. I don't care too much about price (I probably should have mentioned that first), but more on the enjoyment. If I want to save a buck I will eat at home but when I go out, I am not counting and want to enjoy it.

I like spicy so Jingthing's suggestion might be a goer. The free refills sound good but might be dangerous for my growing and oversize already waistline.

Thanks again and I hope to report back on my experience. Of course all comments provided by you all are subject to your opinions at the time and value your input.

You will find that most on here count every single satang.

• Like 1

I think it's 240B now and is barely worth half that. Disappointing is about the nicest thing one can say about it, not that any of the others I have tried were any better. In London you can get much better vegetarian Indian buffets for less cost.

Badshah and Spices II have closed down recently, not that they were any better.

At 300B Dicey Reilly has the best value Indian buffet in town that I know of as the ingredients (and the decor) there are infinitely better than the standard Pattaya Indian place, but it is seriously let down by the absurdly over-priced drinks (80B for a small bottle of water) and the way they toned down the spices leaving it all rather tasteless and stew-like. A real shame as last year it was tasty.

do you belong to the frugal freddies group?

do you belong to the frugal freddies group?

I wouldn't belong to any group that would have me as a member. It would be too demeaning.

Groucho Marx’s letter of resignation to the Friars’ Club: “I don’t want to belong to any club that would accept me as one of its members.”

I like Rasoi Indian restaurant, near where Thappraya Rd. and Second Rd. intersect.  If you are going from Jomtien to Pattaya down Thappraya Rd., just after the overpass,  turn right on second road and you should see Rasoi on the right side (think it is across from a Family Mart on the opposite side of the road).  It has a/c and good food.  They are not stingy in terms of how much you get.  Vegetarian thale is good..........palak paneer..........nan.....I have never been disappointed.  Fairly friendly staff too.

• Like 1

I wouldn't belong to any group that would have me as a member. It would be too demeaning.

Groucho Marxs letter of resignation to the Friars Club: I dont want to belong to any club that would accept me as one of its members.

I know. I don't remember claiming what I wrote as my original idea, though I do prefer my version.

Indian by Nature is a great Indian restaurant. Not cheap but would you really want them to start cooking the dishes cheaply..? No you would not you want the chefs to have the budget in each dish to do it justice with quality ingredients. Indian by nature gets my vote for the best Indian food in town only thing i think that needs improving is the Nan breads.