Thai Girlfriend Blackmails Me With Green Book

bikerjoy

If she reports it as stolen then give her claim some justification....... Throw the thing in a klong, or sell it without a book as a soi bike to someone on the cheap.
If the BIB come, tell them it was stolen from your drive way and that your ex should have taken better care of it…..... After all, it is her bike wink.png
I highly doubt it has insurance that pays out much, so if you do follow the above she’ll be left with nothing and you’ll be wearing a dirty big smile knowing she can’t get it, even better if you sold it for 10 or 20k to someone in need of a soi bike or spares smile.png

P.S. Of course this could also 'turn sour' so maybe it is best just to move on.

Edited by karlos

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

of course I have the book and the bike and the keys.

I am on a one yr.retirement visa.

I will try to negotiate as I also have a loan contract with her.

done by a lawyer. payable within 5 yrs.

If no repay she will go to prison. lawyer told me.

doesn't look so bad after all!

thanks for the help!

Change your address-living place-away from your old surroundings. If you not brake any more rules, a long time, until they find the Moto under your ass. tongue.png

My 400 CBR Honda is in the name of my EX Gf since more than 10 years, whenever I got stopped, seldom, usually for speeding, there is also,

sometimes no insurance sticker and no Tax sticker on the bike, I just pay my fine, 100-200 Baht Tea money and off I went, no more questions asked.

Since a year in Isaan never got controlled, three times came in a check point, two times I said please I late to a meeting let me go and they let me drive without looking at the Moto, once, I had no helmet, wanted to spare money and drove threw without stopping. Worked also. rolleyes.gif

Many people drive around in TH with Moto in the name of a previous owner-Falangs to and that was done so some years a decade ago much more often,

as there had been times when it was not possible to get a bike or car in your name with a Tourist Visa at all!

Edited by ALFREDO

I think you're screwed- she's the legal owner- whether it was purchased with your money makes no difference- I believe even if you had a separate contract outlining your agreement you'd still have no chance, but I'd imagine you don't.

At least it wasn't a Panigale.wink.png

Having the green book does not automatically make her the owner when she cannot prove that she has fully paid the bike or prove HOW she got it, yes it used to be that easy but not anymore.

You're talking nonsense.

If the green book is in her name then legally it's hers........end of.

As for all the posts recommending damaging the bike, dumping the oil etc................jeeeez...........get a life will ya?

Just be grateful that its not a high end bike or car and lesson learnt for the future.

Yes, Rubber duck please don't talk nonsense. Use common sense, how can the bike not hers if the green book is in her name?

Just let her write a contract beforehand, that she sold the Motorbike to you, let her sign the contract and confirm her signing from a lawyer in his office. tongue.png

A decade+ ago, when it was nearly impossible to get a Moto or car in your name with a Tourist Visa, such contracts had been written more than once,

with spouses and in Motorbike sales offices with-to long time Tourist Visa Expats!

A decade ago i bought my 1st scooter with an on-arrival 30 day visa,

guessing i had about 2-3 weeks left on my stay when i bought it.

I also took my 1st thai driving license under such condition,

but here i needed 3 weeks left of the visa, so time was tight.

Edited by poanoi

Here's an idea, you could walk the enlightened way of the holy monk Drukpa Kunley, and turn her into a good spirit. !

Drukpa Kunley was a great master of Mahamudra in the Buddhist tradition. He is known for his sex rituals and crazy of enlightnening of women. Because of this he is also known as "The Saint of 5,000 Women". After riding nearly every wife, sister and daughter in the land, Kunley eventually rode into Buddhist mythology itself. He is said to do battle with all sorts of demons and evil spirits, most of them female. In one Bhutanese legend, he defeats a demoness by beating her in the face with his penis, and then gags her with it. After she is defeated, he transforms her into a good spirit "through divine sexual play."

Buddhism is awesome.

To the OP

Let it go man a lawyer will take 1-3 years to get it in court anyway. The loan is a separate issue altogether. You gave her the bike & if the loan is in her name she owes (possibly since this is Thailand maybe not) I made a similar error with an auto when I was 18. I traded a car for a brake job on my new car since I was working 2 jobs 16 hours a day & didn't have time to wrench on my Marlin. He talked me into signing the title over & he would start the next day & square up my brakes. 8 weeks later I took him to court. The Judge told me he un-politely stole the car from me but I signed the title over to him end of story he owns the car. He then told me let this be a lesson on what not to do. I took his advice & Thailand the only thing you can't own is land . So you have to figure out what to do with buying land(company name or sign it over to the Thai girl) For me not a chance in hell would I ever put my bike car or truck titles in anyone's name other than my own.(unless it is a gift)

I heard the arguments how much easier it is to just put it in the Thai girl's name. I just don't see it. Is it worth it now that she owns the bike & you have the headaches?

Besides it is relatively easy to put it in your name(if it is legal) & costs the same for getting pulled over. Even if it saves you 1500 baht for the life of the bike only to chance this scenario. Still a cheap lesson it could have been a big bike worth 400,000-1,200,000 now that would really bite.

As for the cops even if you are in the right she is Thai & you are not. Farangs always lose - sad but just an inconvenient fact of life here in LOS.

Sorry bout your loss. Let her karma take care of her....getting even just lowers you down to her level.

• Like 1

of course I have the book and the bike and the keys.

I am on a one yr.retirement visa.

I will try to negotiate as I also have a loan contract with her.

done by a lawyer. payable within 5 yrs.

If no repay she will go to prison. lawyer told me.

doesn't look so bad after all!

thanks for the help!

Put a Lien on the bike and you are safe.

Just because the name in the book is hers does not mean she is currently the legal owner - when the bike is put up as collateral.

You will however have to have a copy of her ID card signed.

Take it as a Lesson Learned. The cost of a scooter wheely worth all this trouble? Sure you could leave it with the keys in it or drain the oil or sugar in the gas tank. But why? Learn from the situation and move on. one scooter will not break you. Either that or offer to sell it and give her a part of the money.

Take it as a Lesson Learned. The cost of a scooter wheely worth all this trouble? Sure you could leave it with the keys in it or drain the oil or sugar in the gas tank. But why? Learn from the situation and move on. one scooter will not break you. Either that or offer to sell it and give her a part of the money.

Sugar in the gas tank sounds good!

Why? Because it's deserved.

It's easier to take it up the arse if he got a good screw himself, or so i've heard.

Actually i have spent helluva lot more than a few scooters without gettn any,

now THAT is depressing.

Edited by poanoi
  • Like 2

How old are you??

How old are you??

I am old, and sugar sounds good to me. thumbsup.gif But I will not talk about sand here. laugh.png

• 2 weeks later...

I used to be able to put bikes in my name prior to about two years ago, but now the local licensing office is being quite strict so it is no longer possible. Lately I have put a few bikes in the name of a corporation belonging to a Thai friend, however I do keep the owner-book so there's really no easy way to for him to benefit from taking my bikes (I think it would cost him quite a lot to make a new owner-book and the bikes are only 5,000-6,000 baht bikes). Given that this gent drives a new Camry and holidays in Japan I'm not too worried about him absconding with the bikes.

I used to be able to put bikes in my name prior to about two years ago, but now the local licensing office is being quite strict so it is no longer possible. Lately I have put a few bikes in the name of a corporation belonging to a Thai friend, however I do keep the owner-book so there's really no easy way to for him to benefit from taking my bikes (I think it would cost him quite a lot to make a new owner-book and the bikes are only 5,000-6,000 baht bikes). Given that this gent drives a new Camry and holidays in Japan I'm not too worried about him absconding with the bikes.

I thought you just report the lost book to the police then pay a small fee in the transport office. Then they give you a shiney new book.

I thought you just report the lost book to the police then pay a small fee in the transport office. Then they give you a shiney new book.

Oh, I didn't know, I thought there was a large fine - say a thousand or two. Anyway, I suppose its still unlikely to blow back on me.

Just curious as to why the OP put the bike in his GF's name? Who told you that you couldn't have it in your name?

Yeah there was another board member with pretty much the same story just the other day. There is no reason to not have a bike in the "true" owners name. I think this myth is promulgated and propagated by those who stand to gain by it.

+1

I have had three bikes in Thailand- one new and two used- all were in my name. We can legally own vehicles in Thailand but some guys still register in the GF/wife's name. (Shaking my head)

OP, your ex-GF owns the bike and she can get it back if that is what she wants to do. Try to reach a settlement with her, maybe some cash to register it in your name.

In any case, good luck to you.

• Like 1

Your having a laugh right?

The farang goes to the Police Station, presents his passport and swears that his bike was stolen. He then takes the police report, listing his details, to the Transport Office and requests that a replacement book be issued to him. A Transport officer pulls up the record and sees that the bike is actually owned by a Thai national identified by her ID number.

No wonder some Thais hold us in contempt whistling.gif

The farang goes to the Police Station, presents his passport and swears that his bike was stolen. He then takes the police report, listing his details, to the Transport Office and requests that a replacement book be issued to him. A Transport officer pulls up the record and sees that the bike is actually owned by a Thai national identified by her ID number.

No wonder some Thais hold us in contempt whistling.gif

Not sure if english is your first language? You seem to be missing the point. The falang already has the books so why would he ask for a new one. He thinks by having them in his possession it is a safety net because it would be difficult for the company director to obtain a new one. My point is the thai director can easily obtain a new book...

I used to be able to put bikes in my name prior to about two years ago, but now the local licensing office is being quite strict so it is no longer possible.  Lately I have put a few bikes in the name of a corporation belonging to a Thai friend, however I do keep the owner-book so there's really no easy way to for him to benefit from taking my bikes (I think it would cost him quite a lot to make a new owner-book and the bikes are only 5,000-6,000 baht bikes).  Given that this gent drives a new Camry and holidays in Japan I'm not too worried about him absconding with the bikes.

The farang goes to the Police Station, presents his passport and swears that his bike was stolen. He then takes the police report, listing his details, to the Transport Office and requests that a replacement book be issued to him. A Transport officer pulls up the record and sees that the bike is actually owned by a Thai national identified by her ID number.

No wonder some Thais hold us in contempt Posted Image

He was referring to Claire Quiltys quote... even though I'm at a loss why CQ can't register the vehicles in his own name!

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious as to why the OP put the bike in his GF's name? Who told you that you couldn't have it in your name?

He was lucky as it was only a bike, there are many more that put the ownership of the house in thai girlfriend's name, that amount to millions of baht.

Well, as above someone pointed out, maybe get a thai to negotiate with her see how much she wants, I think you have no chance, so treat it as a expensive lesson learnt.

He was referring to Claire Quiltys quote... even though I'm at a loss why CQ can't register the vehicles in his own name!

Because, alas, the local office is unwilling to accept work-permits to put vehicles in farang's names. The previous administrator of the office was so willing, but the new one is not, so, there it is.

Because, alas, the local office is unwilling to accept work-permits to put vehicles in farang's names. The previous administrator of the office was so willing, but the new one is not, so, there it is.

in which case you need to politely tell him that he is wrong and that you will be contacting Bangkok.. or in fact contact Bangkok and ask them to fax / email the regulations.

If you have a work permit and long term visa/ extension of stay then you can register a vehicle in your name.... even with out a work permit you can do this as long as you have a long term visa/ extension of stay... BUT if it near the end date on said visa some DMV's give you hassle especially if it's your 1st.

in which case you need to politely tell him that he is wrong and that you will be contacting Bangkok.. or in fact contact Bangkok and ask them to fax / email the regulations.

If you have a work permit and long term visa/ extension of stay then you can register a vehicle in your name.... even with out a work permit you can do this as long as you have a long term visa/ extension of stay... BUT if it near the end date on said visa some DMV's give you hassle especially if it's your 1st.

Fighting with a Thai in authority? No thanks, my friend. I'm patient. The guy will no doubt be promoted onward to another district in a few years.

(Though I generally avoid participating in any conflicts with powerful Thais, in this case I have a special reason for not doing so - I own many bikes, which is rather suspicious: they could accuse me of making profits off of them, either through renting them or buying-and-selling them. So, best not to make trouble.)