Laos Visas - must they use up valuable passport pages?

I need to do a visa run to Laos again shortly. I am horrified by the speed at which pages in my passport are being used up by full-page visas - and I'd like to find a way around this.

I may be clutching at straws here, but I have heard that Israel will (apparently) put visas on loose pages attached to a passport (rather than the passport itself). This (or was) expedient for those who wish to visit Arab countries at a later date -, because some such countries will not (or would not) admit anyone who has an Israeli visa in their passport.

Is there any chance of getting the Laos authorities to stamp their visa on a removable 'page' that I've stapled to my passport? If so, I could sling the visa after use and thus save myself the hassle of applying for a new passport prematurely because it is full.

"I need to do a visa run to Laos again shortly. I am horrified by the speed at which pages in my passport are being used up by full-page visas - and I'd like to find a way around this."

Stop doing visa runs and start doing extensions. There is probably something you qualify for.

• Like 1

No seperate pages is not allowed, Israel is a special case.

I suggest the next time apply for a businesspassport, they have twice as much as pages as a normal one.

It also helps if you tell them where you want the stamps, the more cluttered together the better.

Bunny said: "The last time I went to Laos, I only got a small stamp. Not the full page one as before. This was about 3 months ago."

Where was this??

I went to Laos twice last month, July, first time via Nong Khai-Thannaleng, second time flew into Pakse. Both times got the Visa On Arrival, a full page paste in form, and separately the small "arrival" chop.

???

Mac

The last time I went to Laos, I only got a small stamp. Not the full page one as before. This was about 3 months ago

I've entered Laos 15 times at 7 different border crossings and got a full page visa every time. I'm curious too where you only got a small stamp.

I have yet to meet a passport control agent who was as OCD (Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder) as myself and have done the visa runs in the past to Laos myself for that whole page Visa stamp not counting the depart and arrival stamps aggain to Thailand. My only border crossing was at the Friendship Bridge.

My suggestion being perhaps getting pages added to your passport by your embassy for a small cost.

I gotten around the problem by putting the passport under hot steam on the pages with the expired entries ...do this gently !

Most of the newer decals come off nicely and you got another useable page

Tampering with your passport will make it invalid.

Discussed here

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/206726-removing-cambodian-visa-sticker-after-use/

• Like 1

I gotten around the problem by putting the passport under hot steam on the pages with the expired entries ...do this gently !

Most of the newer decals come off nicely and you got another useable page

Some immo officers are even so forthcoming,that they will stamp on sticker,not out of it.

Not only Israel gives visas on fiche;today they do it in Hong Kong to everybody;after stay in HK you are allowed to throw it away,but if you lose it before - you are fined.

The last time I went to Laos, I only got a small stamp. Not the full page one as before. This was about 3 months ago

When I went to North Korea I never even got a stamp. No souvenir whatsoever of my visitsad.png

I have just been speaking to a friend who, prior to retirement, worked in a senior capacity for HM Passport Office.

He tells me that in all instances where passport "tampering" is suspected any application for a new passport will be significantly delayed.

A full investigation is undertaken which includes a personal interview with the passport holder. In the case of someone suspected of "tampering" being away from the UK at the time of application for a new passport only a temporary travel document enabling a return to the UK would be available (at additional cost)

Penalties for passport tampering can range from a refusal to issue another passport for up to ten years to imprisonment!

Happy tampering !smile.png

• Like 2

For those who have applied for a Chinese visa and have their decals on your passport

Use your fingernail and peel the corner, try it ...the new ones are so easy to peel off slowly without leaving a mark on the page

Passport tampering involves playing around with your photo ID page and the barcodes...That is illegal ...and it's a big no

peeling off a visa sticker off your page is like you sticking a Hullo kitty decal at the front of your passport cover and taking it off slowly and gently without leaving a mark ...the Thai immigration staples their form on your passport and you remove it everytime u leave and it punctures your passport no ?

I guess this is not for everyone with clumsy fingers ... :-)

I would like to urge everybody most strongly never to remove an adhesive visa label. Contrary to what LawrenceChee is trying to make you believe, without actually saying so, the removal of a visa sticker does not give you a blank page. There will be part of the consulate's stamp on that page. See link below for an example:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-aVyHeo4oWhU/TomwJS-04eI/AAAAAAAAJVk/I1jJXjyu7xg/s600/Non-O%2520multiple%2520journeys%2520Phnom%2520Penh%252020081225.jpg

The immigration officer's trained eyes would see that partial consular stamp and you would be in considerable trouble.

• Like 2

LawrenceChee

I hate to tell you but -------altering your passport in any way is illegal and not just related to attempts at altering the data page.

Altering a passport may result in saying "hello kitty" from behind bars or being denied a passport for a very long time.

See my earlier post.

Edited by jrtmedic

I have just been speaking to a friend who, prior to retirement, worked in a senior capacity for HM Passport Office.

He tells me that in all instances where passport "tampering" is suspected any application for a new passport will be significantly delayed.

A full investigation is undertaken which includes a personal interview with the passport holder. In the case of someone suspected of "tampering" being away from the UK at the time of application for a new passport only a temporary travel document enabling a return to the UK would be available (at additional cost)

Penalties for passport tampering can range from a refusal to issue another passport for up to ten years to imprisonment!

Please tell me that you were only exaggerating for effect because if I came from a country that might imprison me for 10 years for tampering with my passport, I would throw it in the toilet and never go back there.

Go to the Malaysian border. You just get 2 small stamps.

How does that help the OP who obviously lives near the Lao border? Or me? As i said, I've been to Laos 15 times. None of them were necessarily visa runs. I like Laos and I'd like to know how "Bunnydrops" avoids using a page in his passport for the Lao visa. He seems to have disappeared.

Well it helps him because he is horrified by the number of pages it takes.

Using the Malaysian border will save him from that horrible feeling.

Sure you need to travel, but if that is what is it takes. So be it.

Bunnydrops probably realized he said something wrong so he obviously is not able to clarify it.

So what is your solution to prevent using up whole passport pages.

I have another one, solution number 2. Use the Cambodian border and make sure you use an e-visa.

You only get a small stamp.

Checkout this post: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/568511-border-run-using-an-evisa-cambodia/

Edited by Khun Jean

My Bad---I just check my passport and I did get the whole page stamp. Sorry I haven't been following this thread or I would have checked earlier. When they returned the passport to me they must have turned a page and saw a smaller stamp and though they had changed. Didn't think about it again until this post-- sorry for the misinformation

Please tell me that you were only exaggerating for effect because if I came from a country that might imprison me for 10 years for tampering with my passport, I would throw it in the toilet and never go back there.

I don't know of any country that would allow you to tamper with your passport. Since your country apparently allows it, please let us know the name of that country,

If you were right, I can almost guarantee that bearers of your country's passport will have problems at each and every border crossing.

If I were you, I'd just scream at the top of your lungs at the Laos immigration officer, and let them know you refuse to have them take up a page in your passport. I'm certain that would work well in your favor.

Or you can just do like the rest of us, and grab a new passport once yours is full. Up to you,

• Like 1