Mass Phuket beach rescue, five tourists pulled from water – one pronounced dead

webfact

Mass Phuket beach rescue, five tourists pulled from water – one pronounced dead
Phuket Gazette

lg.jpg
A lifeguard ropes off a section of Karon Beach in an attempt to stop tourists from ignoring red flag warnings. Photo: Chutharat Plerin

PHUKET: -- Lifeguards at Karon Beach, on Phuket’s southwest coast, staged a mass rescue of five tourists this afternoon after a large wave nearly swept a group of men out to sea.

Two of the men were able to struggle back to shore without assistance, while the other five needed the help of local lifeguards.

One of the men was pulled from the water unconscious and was pronounced dead after arriving at Patong Hospital.

“They went to swim in an area marked by red flags,” Karon head lifeguard Uten Singsom told the Phuket Gazette.

“Our lifeguards saw them entering the water and started to run over to stop them, but it was too late by the time they got there,” he said.

The seven men had already been carried away by a big wave, Mr Uten said.

“Four lifeguards went to help five of the men who were struggling… One of five rescued was unconscious when he was pulled from the water,” he explained.

“We administered CPR and he was taken to Patong Hospital,” Mr Uten added.

The man was pronounced dead shortly after his arrival at the hospital, staff confirmed to the Gazette.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Mass-Phuket-beach-rescue-five-tourists-pulled-from-water-one-pronounced-dead-21867.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-08-05

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am not a beach person, so maybe that is why, I would not have known what a red flag means.

This is a first I heared of it. The very few times I do go to the beach (Pattaya) I have never seen red flags.

But then if there where big waves, I would not go into the water.

Red flag means 'stay out of the water' period.

How far out are the red flags? Are you safe if you generally stay in waist deep waters?

Bloody hell that's scary! Are they that dangerous even during high season?

I grew up on a beach, so understand what red flags are, but I am sure that most people in the world do not. They may even think it means swim here.

Even in Australia there are signs put up "Beach Closed Dangerous" etc, and the life guards would warn you off. I saw an Asian guy on Samui drown ( just after ) in shallow water years back. one foot waves and shallow out a hundred metres.

Also people from many non-swimming countries like England ( lol ) would try and fight the rips until they tire and drown. Waves have power for sure in Phuket.

tc

Tiz another Sad event which more and more seems to become a common place event. I would suggest that this latest group are likely of Russian origin where they do not understand things like RipTide currents.

On the brighter side, the survivors can apply for a Darwin award for their lost compatriot : )

• Like 1

I am not a beach person, so maybe that is why, I would not have known what a red flag means.

This is a first I heared of it. The very few times I do go to the beach (Pattaya) I have never seen red flags.

Time to get the map out. Pattaya is on the gulf of Thailand. Phuket is in the Andaman sea. Quite a difference.

• Like 1

Time to get the map out. Pattaya is on the gulf of Thailand. Phuket is in the Andaman sea. Quite a difference.

The reasons to strongly avoid Phuket are adding up. In 10 years Asia I have never been. But the scams, the unclear deaths of foreigners, the taxi's, tuk tuk's, tsunami, earthquake, corruption. Isn't it time to come to the conclusion Phuket is not a very smart tourist destination to choose?

• Like 1

It is shocking how many people go on holiday and assume the sea to be one big swimming pool .

I used to frequent a beautiful beach in Cornwall England , part of which was very dangerous .

Before they had lifeguards I was often assisting in rescues , people simply ignore the warning signs and refuse to listen when you try to advise them .

90% of people have no business being in the water when the surf is up like that. Especially on Karon beach. When I go surfing down Kata I am wary but excited when the seas are rolling in like that with onshore winds .... its messy, and for a swimmer it is pretty dangerous. Generally good swimmers also know not to get in when it looks lumpy like that ... so the ones who go in are inexperienced. Or sometimes unable to swim.

In the image, the surf is still VERY small. It would hardly be a yellow flag in Australia.

I doubt many people would even bother trying to ride those waves as they are hardly big enough to do anything with.

I wouldn't be so quick to say it is very small. That beach in those conditions are dangerous in any country, I surfed in Oz for a few yrs and I surf here. Karon is not a safe swimming beach in 3 foot waves, especially for inexperienced swimmers. Sandbanks troughs and rips.

Why ignore the red flag; it seems tourist need an induction before being permitted to enter the beach. Another very sad experience for families holidaying in Thailand

At least Karon Beach has lifeguards, who know when and when NOT to put up the red flags. But many other beaches in Thailand without lifeguards, just let´s the red flags sit on the beach throughout the whole rainy season.

Last month in Khao Lak Beach, we saw the red flag at the resort every day. But one day the sea was much more calm, and we saw local children playing in the waves. We are experienced ocean-swimmers and as it looked quite safe, so we chose to ignore the red flag and take a small swim. Amazingly the security guard in the resort immediately changed the flag to yellow during our swin, and changed it back to red, as soon as we were out of the water again!

Many places in Thailand, the red flags unfortunately cannot always be taken seriously and that´s probably why, so many people sometimes decide to ignore the flags at the wrong time.

Edited by Xonax

It doesn't matter how deep the water is!sorry.gif

"It is the riptide as the water returns to the ocean. It pulls the sand from under your feet and when you fall it sucks you down under and out... As the waves come in over you!" xmfr_closed1.gif.pagespeed.ic.UuJWYpOV2u

I t is a big circle of water... coming in and going out! The pressure of the incoming keeps you down and Impossible to stand. Plus without floatation devices it is VERY DIFFICULT to break loose from it! Result Drowning in very shallow water.post-4641-1156693976.gif

Easy Remedy! Sign with man in circle (black) and red hash mark through it! Accompanied with a Red Flag!!1zgarz5.gif.pagespeed.ce.GJfs_tQOQ-.gif

People don't know the real danger, doesn't matter your age... "RIP does not stand for "Rest in Peace" It Rips... anything it can from its destination and pulls it to deep water. The bigger/faster the waves... the faster it returns (almost like mini sunami's) the faster it comes in the faster it returns to deep water. The water coming in is cool and it stays to sand bottom with hot on top. The cool water is heavy and wants to return to deep water. this is a continuous cycle until water warms, as waves and wind get slower.

Davidwai2.gif

Edited by davidstipek
  • Like 2