Thai brothers behind luxury car scam to pay fine

webfact

So I guess this is the end of the supercar import tax scam. Tax being paid on A car.

Too funny for words. So I guess I can no longer look forward to Chalerm's Bentley being

seized for unpaid tax. Darn....

Edited by EyesWideOpen

My heart just melted when I saw that wai. I forgive them already. smile.png

Yes, it's so deep and meaningful - you can see he's really very sorry for the inconvenience, it was an honest mistake guv......

The problem is created by the government charging such disgracefully high taxes on imports...... even though the imports do not pose a threat to home manufacturers.

So, inevitably people will look for ways of avoiding the tax....... and I don't blame them.

Let's see...up to four times the price of the car(s). Well, guess it depends on the 'official' appraisal of the car(s) and the percentage of that particular 'value' applied as a fine. Leaves quite a bit of room for leeway. A little creative math by the right people and they could pay any 'official' fine with pocket change. Of course there might be a 'calculator fee' as well as a more substantial 'unofficial' fine.

Edited by marell

So the moral of this story, baring in mind they could go to jail, but won't, is to circulate the tax-evaded money in brown envelops to the relevant bods, and everyone walks away smiling, and it all ends happily ever after cheesy.gif

Even beats the story when 2 policemen fled the scene !!

I tried to get my bike into Thailand once and was provided all the rules about importing vehicles into such country, what it boiled down to was that the customs would value my bike and put a 300% tax on that valuation, no deals allowed,, how do they do it, i should import my bike then say sorry ? Would that do it i wonder....

So the DSI decides they will pay a fine?

Shouldn't this go to an appropriate court for decision?

The brothers AGREED to pay a fine. How very generous of them. Hardly amounts to a crackdown on corruption and malfeasance does it? Thailand's application of jurisprudence is a pathetic pantomime.

They should just impound all the cars that were illegal imported because I am sure all the poor shocked and completely innocent people who purchased and are now running around in their nice tax free cars would hate the idea that it is not a legitimate tax paid car that they had unknowingly purchased at a bargain price.

This is like the pirate software shops at Panthip. Every once in a while some vendor needs to get thrown under the bus in public view for the whole group of them. Next time it's someone else's turn.

Slap on the hand then they'll be on their merry way.

• Like 1