Phone Calls - basic courtesy

Message to Teachers: Please teach your Thai students the basics of using phones. If not from farang teachers, where are they going to learn such things? Here are some items that Thais seem to be rarely aware of:

>>> talking extra loud on phones. It's like the microphone thing. Phones and microphones are designed to channel sound, so they don't need to be shouted in to.

>>> phone chatting with others nearby. For example, in a restaurant. Sure, we get near-shouting from nearby tables, ....but why does a person keep sitting at a table with others, with their head about 2 feet away from others, and talking loud?! When I make or field a call, with others nearby, I get up and walk far away from others.

>>> messages. Of every 50 Thais who call me and get a recorded message (in English and Thai), 49 will not leave a message. Why? Mainly because they don't understand that level of tech (?). Teachers! are you listening? Teach your students how to leave a phone message. Hint: leave a name and brief message.

>>> Wrong number. If you call a wrong number with a Thai answering, 4 out of five times, they will hang up with out saying anything or, at best, one or two grunts. There are better ways to field such calls. I would recommend something like; "what number are you calling?" or "who do you wish to speak with?" in Thai or English.

>>> Being able to say "yes" or "no" or "say again, please" - in Thai or English. Whenever I ask the question "do you speak English" or in Thai "kun poot pasar engrit, dai mai?" .....I'm lucky to get a sane answer 10% of the time. Most common response is: silence. Next most common, is a gutteral sound from the respondent, and then there's talking far in the background. Why is it so difficult for Thais to answer a simple question? I can speak some Thai, but I don't often get a chance to start - in such scenarios. As soon as the Thai on the other end realizes I'm a farang (takes about 4 milliseconds), they promptly hang up.

Perhaps they're so busy, they' can't devote a few seconds to dealing with it. Alternatively, perhaps they're so shy about trying to speak a bit of English, ......regardless, the easiest way for them to deal with odd situations, is to hang up.

lesson 1: don't bring the blessed things to the dinner table and Lesson 2: turn them off.

It is so b....y rude to try to have a polite conversation with someone when they are nose first into their phone and oblivious to host or guests around them.

bah.gif

Why can't they use their phones how they want? I think you're flogging a dead horse here.

That's akin to saying; 'Why can't people walk down a busy sidewalk flailing their arms?'

It may not be against the law to do so, but it's highly inconvenient to others.

you can replace 'flailing their arms' with 'spray spitting' or 'shouting.'

One big irony is: Thais have so many dictates re; etiquette. All deal with pre-industrial-age things, like; don't point feet, don't touch a person's top of head, don't spit, don't shout in someone's face, etc. Plus, hundreds of no-no's re; royalty or Sangha. Yet, there are no set etiquette re; modern things like cars or phones. It's about time for some of that, wouldn't ya think?

Edited by boomerangutang

Why can't they use their phones how they want? I think you're flogging a dead horse here.

That's akin to saying; 'Why can't people walk down a busy sidewalk flailing their arms?'

Hmmm. I see where you're coming from, although I'm not sure the analogy really works. Flailing arms would be rather more than an inconvenience if you happen to be in the way!

<quote>Brewsterbudgen: "Hmmm. I see where you're coming from, although I'm not sure the analogy really works. Flailing arms would be rather more than an inconvenience if you happen to be in the way!"</quote>

A pain in the ear from extremely loud and/or annoying sounds, can possibly be more painful than an arm hitting a body on a crowded sidewalk. It's debatable - which can be more agrievous.

I'd venture that I'm more sensitive to sound than the average person. Perhaps being a musician has something to do with it. Plus, for the past 45 years, I've resided in places where I can't hear city or road noises, like cars. Add to that, I have a touch of tinnitus from standing near drummers on stage while they're flailing away at their cymbals (a symbolic gesture, per chance?). I'm in the minority, but there are others who are sensitive to sound. I'm sensitive to the volume, the fidelity, and the nature of sound. I can't help it. I've tried earplugs, but I don't like having foam stuffed in my ears for hours.

Anyhow, back to OP: I think some proportion of Thais (particularly youngsters) can learn to be a tad bit polite in the phone dept. No one is expecting a sea change, any more than some mentions of littering will keep trash from getting thrown around towns - but if teachers with Thai students would make a mention of some of the things mentioned herein, perhaps we can make a dent for the better.

Edited by boomerangutang

Message to Teachers: Please teach your Thai students the basics of using phones. If not from farang teachers, where are they going to learn such things?

I'll add it to the list, although I think I have more than an entire year's content already lol

Generally we teach western culture while we are teaching, but for the majority, it usually goes in one ear and out the other.

• Like 1

Message to Teachers: Please teach your Thai students the basics of using phones. If not from farang teachers, where are they going to learn such things?

I'll add it to the list, although I think I have more than an entire year's content already lol

Generally we teach western culture while we are teaching, but for the majority, it usually goes in one ear and out the other.

Little in the way to impede the flow..........whistling.gif

• Like 1