Bangkok: Unrelenting activists to upgrade protest intensity

webfact

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The recent "coup" in Egypt points to a different way of SOMETIMES looking at coups.

If a democratically elected regime when they actually get power becomes massive undemocratic, some would say going to the streets to change governments is justified.

No, I am not saying Thailand is Egypt, but I am saying coups and democracy in immature democracies like Thailand (and Egypt) are not purist, black and white concepts.

My personal view here is that there is so much to dislike about the Thaksinista current government AND the forces that wish to bring it down.

So I wish the Thais good luck with that, and also expats who will also be impacted by these events.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Reputedly Mussolini got the trains to run on time. Perhaps Thailand could use a little fascism.

In fact, it may even be preferable to the current kleptocracy.

I think he got them to run on time by simply changing arrival and departure times so they matched the amount of time the train journey actually took.

• Like 1

Reputedly Mussolini got the trains to run on time. Perhaps Thailand could use a little fascism.

to get the trains on time in Italy might be a similar task than get them on time in Thailand.

I can't believe that....

There are no fascists that want to get power in Thailand.

the activists don't want to seize power themself.

I don't like Abhisit, but surely he isn't a fascist.

Where are the fascists??

I'm completely lost regarding all these groups but I have a Thai friend who is now with the "Urapong Group" (hope it's that's the correct spelling) and that they are now marching towards parliament.

She aslo said that the press are not reporting anything (self censorship).

Anyone know about this?

I'm completely lost regarding all these groups but I have a Thai friend who is now with the "Urapong Group" (hope it's that's the correct spelling) and that they are now marching towards parliament.

Anyone know about this?

I have no TV close but look at BlueChannel (I think that is the name) or ASTV.

These will report it for sure if true.

to get the trains on time in Italy might be a similar task than get them on time in Thailand.

I can't believe that....

Where are the fascists??

I don't think Abhisit is a fascist either, but part of the anti-red/Thaksin base definitely has fascistic elements. That isn't news. Some of that faction supported Abhisit when he was in power and some of them didn't (not pandering to them enough I suppose).

• Like 1

I can't believe that....

Where are the fascists??

I don't think Abhisit is a fascist either, but part of the anti-red/Thaksin base definitely has fascistic elements. That isn't news. Some of that faction supported Abhisit when he was in power and some of them didn't (not pandering to them enough I suppose).

part of the red shirts are also stalinist and maoist communists. But that doesn't make Thaksin a communist.

That some fascists support Abhisit while other fascists didn't want him in office (vote no) doesn't really mean anything about him.

A little bit more fascist style from him maybe would have made him a better premier (take that as weird joke......)

Another way to put it, it difficult and possibly pointless for westerners to project their own political preferences onto Thai political factions. They don't fit. I don't see any existing Thai political faction that is consistent with my personal politics. Perhaps the best we can hope for is as little pain as possible during the process of maturation of "democracy" in Thailand.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

1,700 medical teams standby to provide medical attention during the rally

BANGKOK, 6 August 2013 (NNT)-The National Institute of Emergency Medicine (NIEM) is ready to provide medical attention around the clock to people in and around Bangkok during the political demonstration.

The NIEM will deploy more than 1,700 medical teams to various locations in the capital city and its surrounding provinces. They can be divided into 3 groups of medical services depending on the severity and conditions of injured persons.

NIEM Secretary General, Dr. Anucha Setsathien said the medical service will be carried out under emergency situations. A committee has also been set up to oversee the operation.

Its responsibilities consist of getting medical staff ready for any events during the rally and making sure the team will never be short of staff whenever medical help is needed. Anyone spotting casualties or emergency illnesses during the political movement is encouraged to call 1669.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-08-06 footer_n.gif

Another way to put in, it isn't easy for westerners to project their own political preferences onto Thai political factions. I don't see any existing Thai political faction that is consistent with my personal politics. Perhaps the best we can hope for is as little pain as possible during the process of maturation of "democracy" in Thailand.

Well as Westerner I wouldn't be so proud of our own Democracy. Take as example: USA, Germany and France and look at the parties, the system of election, how the parties make promotion and how the media situation is.

The only differences I see: a bit less corruption in the west and a way more professional look of things. But if you look careful, than there is still a lot corruption in the west and in some cases it is far less democratic than in Thailand.

In Thailand the problems are very visible. In the west they are much better hidden.

Another coup, that'll spark ANOTHER protest by the red shirts again...

Erm.... I don't think so. There will be martial law imposed, and god help any reds that try to protest during martial law.

you only need to stop the flow of money and the red shirt movement is down to somewhat between 1500-5000 people.

I know a lot people who love Thaksin, but wouldn't vote for him unless they get paid for it crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif

And much less they would travel to Bangkok. And many of the leaders are paid by Thaksin. They want to enjoy their money, they don't want to die for their dear leader. So I don't think there will be much trouble.

I went running in Lumpini Park this past Sunday around 4:30pm. There were some crowds out front by the Rama VI statue and the MRT entrance, but it really wasn't all that big of a demonstration. Felt like any other Sunday in the park except for in that relatively small area. Maybe it's getting bigger, but the press could be blowing this one out of proportion.

You know what Thais are like when you hand them a microphone. coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24>

......as long as they don't start singing "The Last Waltz"....... coffee1.gif

Anyone know about this?

We are in the UK right now, and getting detailed news is almost impossible. The two main newspaper websites (one of whom we can't talk about) are A) overwhelmed and B) devoid of much information. My gf is chatting with friends in BKK, but it's hard to get an overall picture.

We arrive back in LOS next week..... dressed in neutral colours, of course. wink.png

PS....ARE there any colours not nabbed by sundry splinter groups????? blink.png

I think he got them to run on time by simply changing arrival and departure times so they matched the amount of time the train journey actually took.

I believe that's called realism. Thailand could use some of that, instead of the current BS being offered.

They are planning the "pristine samet" marketing right now.

• Like 1

I think something is on the cards.Check points causing traffic delays today as they checked cars and pick ups for who knows what.

Yup took me 90 minutes to travel a distance that normally takes 20 (even in peak hour) along Rama 2...

thats a myth he didnt get them ontime,,sorry,,

wai2.gif

• Like 1

Despite the poor turnout so far I wouldn't discount the possibility of much greater numbers turning out for future demonstrations.There is clearly a wish to apply maximum pressure on the government.I think many have taken comfort in events on Egypt, Turkey and Brazil where middle class elements have taken on an " elected dictatorship".

The problem for the opposition and its street extensions is two fold.Firstly the government has proved to be rather adept at security when it comes to mass protest.Secondly and more importantly the situation in Thailand is not remotely comparable to Egypt for example.

The government while suffering from a mid term dip in support is still popular enough to win a further general election.

Internationally the street opposition or at least its leadership has no credibility,quite important as events in Egypt show.The letter from this leadership to foreign embassies explaining their grievances was perceived as deranged.

Abhisit's position is further weakened by the court's verdict today that the army murdered the civilians at Wat Pathum in 2010.Not helpful for his international image.

• Like 2

Despite the poor turnout so far I wouldn't discount the possibility of much greater numbers turning out for future demonstrations.There is clearly a wish to apply maximum pressure on the government.I think many have taken comfort in events on Egypt, Turkey and Brazil where middle class elements have taken on an " elected dictatorship".

The problem for the opposition and its street extensions is two fold.Firstly the government has proved to be rather adept at security when it comes to mass protest.Secondly and more importantly the situation in Thailand is not remotely comparable to Egypt for example.

The government while suffering from a mid term dip in support is still popular enough to win a further general election.

Internationally the street opposition or at least its leadership has no credibility,quite important as events in Egypt show.The letter from this leadership to foreign embassies explaining their grievances was perceived as deranged.

Abhisit's position is further weakened by the court's verdict today that the army murdered the civilians at Wat Pathum in 2010.Not helpful for his international image.

I think there is something wrong with the poor turnout.

It is just too poor to be true. If the Democrats want 100.000 on the street they can mobilize them without sweat in either the south or Bangkok.

Also the other group could to much better.

It seems they are holding back at the moment...don't know why.

1) let the government feel secure and than make something big

2) let the government look like paranoid dictators

3) Have some secret plan that simply doesn't need masses

4) the have no plan and are just disorganized

5) they want the law and wait till Thaksin actually comes back. This now is only to have some news

I don't know

I think there is something wrong with the poor turnout.

It is just too poor to be true. If the Democrats want 100.000 on the street they can mobilize them without sweat in either the south or Bangkok.

Also the other group could to much better.

It seems they are holding back at the moment...don't know why.

1) let the government feel secure and than make something big

2) let the government look like paranoid dictators

3) Have some secret plan that simply doesn't need masses

4) the have no plan and are just disorganized

5) they want the law and wait till Thaksin actually comes back. This now is only to have some news

I don't know

Aha, a cunning plan.............