Why is it so hard to find a good man in Bangkok as a female farang?

webfact

Negative sterotypes abut Thai men among expats are mainly limited to men, often fueled by stories told them by their Thai wife or gf which may well be true as regards their experience but hardly represent Thai men as a whole. Thai women who intentionally set out to get a western male partner are sometimes motivated by bad experiences with Thai men,m experienced or observed. (For example, I know a number of cases where seeing their mother suffer due to hubby taking a "mia noi" made the girl wary of Thai men as partners).

But please let us not assume that all Thai-farang pairings occurred because the farang specifically preferred Thai women/disliked western women and the Thai did not like Thai men. Sometimes people just fall in love with a person who happens to be of another nationality. No "rejection" of their own nationality implied.

As for farang women they do not , as far as I can see, hold negative stereotypes about Thai men or dislike them, in fact most find at least some Thai men attractive. We're aware of course of the wide range of individual differences and that it's a mixed bag. Unfortunately the ones most likely to approach us (and most aggressive in the way they do so) are disproportionately of the wrong type (but that is the case in many places). And tend to be ones who have misconceptiona about western women i.e. think they are all promiscuous (usually less educated/travelled Thai men who have that view). That leads to some unpleasant encounters and western women quickly learn to be cautious and circumspect in dealing with Thai men they don't know well. Which in turn probably further inhibits the shy ones who are in fact the nice ones ....and so it goes.

As for western men in Thailand, while they may not all hold hostile feelings towards western women, many do and they are quite aggressive in displaying it. Experiences with that (direct or indirect... i.e. reading TV!) make western women here even more wary of western men and also inclined to assume that western men they meet in Thailand hold negative and sexist stereotypes. What Kalbo described as "arrogance" may in fact in some cases have been diffidence as a defense.

• 2 weeks later...

Relative to Thai women. you have nothing to offer.

Absolute rubbish. I miss Western women so much at times. How many Thai women have you ever met that you can you discuss things like world politics, the global economy, a good book, life in Europe, the stock market, etc.

Most relationships with Thai women are very shallow.

Certainly I have never wanted to go out with any white woman in the 20 years I have been in SE Asia.

That is just you. I have had single men friends come to visit from Europe and of course I planned to show them the bars, etc. but was told not to bother as they only wanted to go to dance clubs, listen to music, get drunk and high. They enjoyed meeting farang women in places like Phuket. But when I asked about meeting locals they told me they did not find Asians attractive. So not all men are interested in the locals when they come to Thailand. To me, people are people. I like people I meet in all countries of the world.

I must be a weirdo. I don't fancy thai women as partners. The looks are not into my taste, I like taller, independent and bit more "educated/word view/conversational" women. Ok, I have to admit I don't currently live in bangkok but I am now there again, third time this year. I like the country, food, athmosphere and Bangkok never stops to amaze me (I photograph). So on my travels, I have been hoping to meet farang women to share time etc. Couple times it has happened and I have enjoyed it much. Issue is that LOS is kind of a country where it's just beneficial to have thai woman who knows the hurdles and speaks the language.

Edited by rahi

I must be a weirdo. I don't fancy thai women as partners. The looks are not into my taste, I like taller, independent and bit more "educated/word view/conversational" women. Ok, I have to admit I don't currently live in bangkok but I am now there again, third time this year. I like the country, food, athmosphere and Bangkok never stops to amaze me (I photograph). So on my travels, I have been hoping to meet farang women to share time etc. Couple times it has happened and I have enjoyed it much. Issue is that LOS is kind of a country where it's just beneficial to have thai woman who knows the hurdles and speaks the language.

Having a Thai person (regardless of their or your gender) who helps you navigate thinsg is of course easier but in the long run may prevent you from developing the language and other skills which would let you navigate it on your own, at least under normal circumstances. I am constantly astounded by the degree of dependency some expat men have on their Thai wives/gfs. Not all, of course, but a good number. To the point that they literally cannot function on their own. In addition to other drawbacks this means that one's understanding of Thailand is totally filtered through one person's viewpoint.

• Like 2

Having a Thai person (regardless of their or your gender) who helps you navigate thinsg is of course easier but in the long run may prevent you from developing the language and other skills which would let you navigate it on your own, at least under normal circumstances. I am constantly astounded by the degree of dependency some expat men have on their Thai wives/gfs. Not all, of course, but a good number. To the point that they literally cannot function on their own. In addition to other drawbacks this means that one's understanding of Thailand is totally filtered through one person's viewpoint.

You are totally right about the lack of independency of some farang men. I think those guys won't explore around much either. There are people who like to experience as much as possible and learn the culture etc. then there are the men who need woman and things associated around her.

Negative sterotypes abut Thai men among expats are mainly limited to men, often fueled by stories told them by their Thai wife or gf which may well be true as regards their experience but hardly represent Thai men as a whole. Thai women who intentionally set out to get a western male partner are sometimes motivated by bad experiences with Thai men,m experienced or observed. (For example, I know a number of cases where seeing their mother suffer due to hubby taking a "mia noi" made the girl wary of Thai men as partners).

But please let us not assume that all Thai-farang pairings occurred because the farang specifically preferred Thai women/disliked western women and the Thai did not like Thai men. Sometimes people just fall in love with a person who happens to be of another nationality. No "rejection" of their own nationality implied.

As for farang women they do not , as far as I can see, hold negative stereotypes about Thai men or dislike them, in fact most find at least some Thai men attractive. We're aware of course of the wide range of individual differences and that it's a mixed bag. Unfortunately the ones most likely to approach us (and most aggressive in the way they do so) are disproportionately of the wrong type (but that is the case in many places). And tend to be ones who have misconceptiona about western women i.e. think they are all promiscuous (usually less educated/travelled Thai men who have that view). That leads to some unpleasant encounters and western women quickly learn to be cautious and circumspect in dealing with Thai men they don't know well. Which in turn probably further inhibits the shy ones who are in fact the nice ones ....and so it goes.

As for western men in Thailand, while they may not all hold hostile feelings towards western women, many do and they are quite aggressive in displaying it. Experiences with that (direct or indirect... i.e. reading TV!) make western women here even more wary of western men and also inclined to assume that western men they meet in Thailand hold negative and sexist stereotypes. What Kalbo described as "arrogance" may in fact in some cases have been diffidence as a defense.

Excellant post Sheryl.

A man's input:

I wish I had a better idea of what kind of man you are looking for.

Let me state that I am an American man, married to a good Thai woman with a 5 yer old child.

I am happy and loyal.

When they realize that I am a pretty good guy and not just another Farang justlooking for fun, I am asked very often by good Thai women if I know any men like me in Thailand or willing to come to Thailand that they could meet.

Sadly, I always have the same answer.

The good Farang men I know in Thailand are in Thailand because they are married to a good Thai woman, and by nature are not looking for another woman!

Those who come here from other countries are usually looking for fun,or a "wild time" and not any sort of serious relationship with someone half a world away.

So, yes, I can understand that is is very difficult to find a good farang to have a real relationship with.

If you are interested in Thai men, there are good, interesting, educated Thai guys out there.

How to meet them?

I haven;t a clue.

Choke dee!

• Like 1

I am astounded by this phenomenon as well. I see it often. I have a friend who lived in Bangkok for about 14 years and his whole world was filtered through the viewpoint of his dark Isaan wife who has a 5th grade education. In fact she even answered his business phone for a while. Customers would tell him that they can't understand the lady who answers the telephone because they don't speak Lao. He never understood what that meant! In 14 years all he could say was "sawadee khrap" and khap khun khrap". He had no idea how to do anything in Thailand including getting a visa. If his wife could not help him (she didn't even know what an Amphur or Tessabahn was). He often had to pay a lawyer to tell him how to do something that you can learn to do on thaivisa.com. I think his legal bills were in excess of 120,000 THB per year.

Edited by elektrified

I am astounded by this phenomenon as well. I see it often. I have a friend who lived in Bangkok for about 14 years and his whole world was filtered through the viewpoint of his dark Isaan wife who has a 5th grade education. In fact she even answered his business phone for a while. Customers would tell him that they can't understand the lady who answers the telephone because they don't speak Lao. He never understood what that meant! In 14 years all he could say was "sawadee khrap" and khap khun khrap". He had no idea how to do anything in Thailand including getting a visa. If his wife could not help him (she didn't even know what an Amphur or Tessabahn was). He often had to pay a lawyer to tell him how to do something that you can learn to do on thaivisa.com. I think his legal bills were in excess of 120,000 THB per year.

Does the fact that his wife is 'dark' make any difference?

• Like 1

It does to Thais, yes. Dark skinned people both male and female are often looked down on and treated as "ban nok" or country bumpkins.

But again, not really the topic,

A single friend of mine has told me that it doesn't matter what pond you fish in, either Thai or Western, if you are over a certain age all the good ones were happy to settle down and get married in a committed relationship already.

Just having dark skin in of itself does not make one the target of discrimination in Thailand. But if said individual dresses like a lo-so, acts like a lo-so, has a 5th grade education, bad manners, can't speak proper Thai well but speaks Lao, and has a clueless farang in tow, well....

• Like 1

And this hits it right on the head, personal body servants is the role most men all over the planet want from women. Why do women do it? Please stop !!

IMO Thai women are in it for economics, that makes them gold diggers, which most western men look down on while at home.

I'll try to not judge it with my western standards, and even have sympathy as they are getting the dregs. Besides, I'd sell out my values too, for a slave.

Come on, all you adonis like fat men know that you will eventually meet a young woman in Thailand. Because they are there and available.

A woman in the West would not even look at you, let alone sleep with you. You think you are gods, and those poor women do too. What western woman in her right mind would cut someones toe nails and feel good about it?

You put us down because we speak back. And stand up for ourselves. And we are not all bad. Myself - 1.75 and 48 kilos. Not a fat old bitch who dropped 6 kids in 6 years and lives on a housing estate.

Look in the mirror. We all age and i feel good and actually do get flirted with occasionally. Going to be 50 next month.

Many Thai ladies offer to cut their men's toenails, they don't consider it demeaning.
They also like to pluck your nasal hair, clean out your ear wax, shower you and wipe your bum (if you let them).

Why shouldn't they feel good about fulfilling their traditional duties?
Why shouldn't we (men) let them do it?

As for 'speaking back', you are totally wrong. Thai ladies not only speak back but often back their argument with a carving knife. I can understand your mistaken belief that it doesn't happen, as Thais generally keep their arguments private.

Yes OT but I disagree strongly; Darker skinned people do not have jobs of responsibility and are in all menial labor .

I find Thais just as racist as any cracker in Alabama . It's legal, too! Racist and sexist. That pic required with a job app is all about ascertaining complexion, or sex quotient.

Don't get me started !!

Just having dark skin in of itself does not make one the target of discrimination in Thailand. But if said individual dresses like a lo-so, acts like a lo-so, has a 5th grade education, bad manners, can't speak proper Thai well but speaks Lao, and has a clueless farang in tow, well....

Yep , so here we have at long last , admitted the advantages foreign men enjoy, that most women are not privy to.

120,000 baht in fees, and 500 000 in sheer frustration.

There is also the basic Thai sexism to deal with, and xenophobia IMPOSSIBLE !! IMPOSSIBLE !!

I MUST GO SCREAM NOW !!

Wait Wait. No NO Control ... It's time for What are you drinking now? Fri Eve , weather too cruddy to attempt going out . Let's have a champagne fruity .

Edited by MacChine

And this hits it right on the head, personal body servants is the role most men all over the planet want from women. Why do women do it? Please stop !!

IMO Thai women are in it for economics, that makes them gold diggers, which most western men look down on while at home.

I'll try to not judge it with my western standards, and even have sympathy as they are getting the dregs. Besides, I'd sell out my values too, for a slave.

Come on, all you adonis like fat men know that you will eventually meet a young woman in Thailand. Because they are there and available.

A woman in the West would not even look at you, let alone sleep with you. You think you are gods, and those poor women do too. What western woman in her right mind would cut someones toe nails and feel good about it?

You put us down because we speak back. And stand up for ourselves. And we are not all bad. Myself - 1.75 and 48 kilos. Not a fat old bitch who dropped 6 kids in 6 years and lives on a housing estate.

Look in the mirror. We all age and i feel good and actually do get flirted with occasionally. Going to be 50 next month.

Many Thai ladies offer to cut their men's toenails, they don't consider it demeaning.

They also like to pluck your nasal hair, clean out your ear wax, shower you and wipe your bum (if you let them).

As for 'speaking back', you are totally wrong. Thai ladies not only speak back but often back their argument with a carving knife. I can understand your mistaken belief that it doesn't happen, as Thais generally keep their arguments private.

Miss MacChine is the product of 20 years of radical feminist indoctrination. Throughout the 1980s there was a civil war within feminism against women, and radical feminism won and all women lost.

Miss MacChine, who rather inevitably-- judging from her avatar-- is the owner of cats, perceives the relationship of men and women as that akin to ownership of a slave. What her, and many others like her have failed to see, is that her vision of 'love' is a figment of her imagination from techniques of control and disciplining devices in society. There is no simple, abstraction of love. Love is the tortious and tortuous product of the eliding of material goals ("gold-digging") with the male's need to find a partner for fornication. It is precisely that which she rejects. And in her never-ending quest for unicorns and rainbows she has signally failed to observe that the greatest happiness is to be found in giving yourself over to another, and that includes cutting their toe nails and cleaning their ears. But no, on she goes in seeing marriage as a bitter, contract of forced union and yet simultaneously and in complete contradiction the ultimate expression of love.

It is a credit to society in general that the women of Thailand reject this absurd fringe feminism and prefer the old-fashioned feminism of the West. What other country has has 5 women as the deputy governor of the national bank at the same time?

I can assure you Miss MacChine your values are not the standard of Western values. You would do well to read the works of some more impressive feminists who did not get bogged down in misandry and despair. Take a look at the superbn writing of Emma Goldman and go on from there. But for goodness sake throw away the pseudo-intellectual verbiage of Judith Butler and her fake Althusserian arguments.

Edited by Gaccha
  • Like 1

LOL in almost 26 years of visiting and living in Thailand I have not come across a Thai woman who "cut their men's toenails, pluck's the nasal hair, clean out your ear wax, shower you and wipe your bum (if you let them)." Maybe that is an Isaan kind of thing a villager might do or maybe they did that 30 years ago? Well actually my g/f did help me cut my toenails one time after I had an accident and I was in the hospital. Personally I would not want anyone doing that kind of stuff to me. I am capable of doing it myself.

Miss MacChine is the product of 20 years of radical feminist indoctrination. Throughout the 1980s there was a civil war within feminism against women, and radical feminism won and all women lost.

Miss MacChine, perceives the relationship of men and women as that akin to ownership of a slave. What her, and many others like her have failed to see, is that her vision of 'love' is a figment of her imagination from techniques of control and disciplining devices in society. There is no simple, abstraction of love. Love is the tortious and tortuous product of the eliding of material goals ("gold-digging") with the male's need to find a partner for fornication. It is precisely that which she rejects. And in her never-ending quest for unicorns and rainbows she has signally failed to observe that the greatest happiness is to be found in giving yourself over to another, and that includes cutting their toe nails and cleaning their ears. But no, on she goes in seeing marriage as a bitter, contract of forced union and yet simultaneously and in complete contradiction the ultimate expression of love.

It is a credit to society in general that the women of Thailand reject this absurd fringe feminism and prefer the old-fashioned feminism of the West. What other country has has 5 women as the deputy governor of the national bank at the same time?

I can assure you Miss MacChine your values are not the standard of Western values. You would do well to read the works of some more impressive feminists who did not get bogged down in misandry and despair. Take a look at the superbn writing of Emma Goldman and go on from there. But for goodness sake throw away the pseudo-intellectual verbiage of Judith Butler and her fake Althusserian arguments.

Well this certainly explains a lot, with regards to Khun MacChine.

Edited by Sheryl
removed unwarranted personal comment
  • Like 1

machhine you do seem to be quite unhappy with life in thailand, and your views on men & womens relationships very one dimensional.

I obviously dont' know what your life experiences are but your ideas & opinions are so very far removed from my own so i really can't agree with you.

But if you are concerned about the lot of women in thaialnd then there are quite a few of womens groups & projects that you could join or support.

• Like 2

When I came to Thailand 12 years ago, I had no real interest in Asian women (too small and not really much to say in conversation). So, when I was working in Bangkok I was looking for Farang women to share enjoyment of the things I really liked about Thailand (and Asia in general) - the great food and sitting on the street to eat it, the markets, the sheer volume of humanity everywhere, the beautiful nature (once you get out of BKK), the arts and crafts (even the music has grown on me!)

The farang women that I did come in contact with in the first few months just were not interested or at least gave that impression. To be honest, the western woman expectation, that a guy is going to pursue her and get over a whole bunch of 'tests' that she puts in the way just doesn't work. Not in thailand, not in the west. The only guys who will go through that trauma and demeaning are those who want to win at the game, or are just desperate after being alone so long. In thailand, those who play the game have a much more interesting table to play at, those who are desperate don't have to be desperate, there is abundance on offer all the time. So, the game plan in the west never got the 'good guys', they would always be the ones who backed off when the going got tough, the 'tests' became harder. After all, it's an equal society, if she is not interested then you should not try to force it!

After some time I ended up in bars with thai women, and even if the conversation was lacking, I found myself having fun; Thai girls are fun! Once I opened the door, I was not allowed to close it again, and I eventually ended up marrying a Thai (she now speaks good english, better than my thai) and we have 3 daughters.

I would recommend any western women looking to date western guys getting a job giving those SIM cards to people as they get off the plane! Any guys you like the look of, give them a call a couple of hours after leaving the airport! You would need to be quick! :)

Well I admit, I have a lot of complaints regarding Thais, and the men here to exploit them , but is my perceived happiness really a fit subject for this thread, (as is my choice of pets in my avatar)

Or is it?

I don't have to join a group to observe an imbalance in gender issues, and then write of those observations.

I maintain, good men are on shortage because well..., there are few of them.

We can really get radical and talk about what gender commits the vast majority of crime. Do we really need so many men? Overpopulation is going to be THE issue , culling the population might be necessary at some point in the not too distant future

machhine you do seem to be quite unhappy with life in thailand, and your views on men & womens relationships very one dimensional.

I obviously dont' know what your life experiences are but your ideas & opinions are so very far removed from my own so i really can't agree with you.

But if you are concerned about the lot of women in thaialnd then there are quite a few of womens groups & projects that you could join or support.

Edited by MacChine

There are lots of wonderful men and women in Thailand.

Sadly many keep their guard up due to living in a new place with less self esteem and miss out on meeting quality people that they would enjoy the company of. I've seen it with coworkers and I've seen it with friends.

The best way to meet quantity people is to stop looking, do things you like doing and meet people in the same situation. Be open to new people and try to keep your guard flexible because you never know! :)