Father of Canadian slain in Pai in 2008 says Thai suspect has pleaded guilty

webfact

Father of Canadian slain in Thailand in 2008 says suspect has pleaded guilty
BY BILL GRAVELAND, THE CANADIAN PRESS

CALGARY - Five years after a young Calgary man was shot and killed in a town in northern Thailand, his father says he is finally getting justice with word of a guilty plea in the case.

Leo Del Pinto, 25, died after being shot in the face and chest in the town of Pai in January 2008. His friend, Carly Reisig of British Columbia, was also hit once in the chest but survived.

Sgt. Uthai Dechawiwat, who was off duty at the time, had been charged with murder with intent and attempted murder with intent, but initially pleaded not guilty.

"We received an email from Foreign Affairs stating there was a court case on July 2," Ernie Del Pinto told The Canadian Press Wednesday.

"The email stated they deleted court due to him retracting his not guilty plea to guilty on all counts."

A spokeswoman for Foreign Affairs confirmed the department had been informed of a development in the case. The reason for the change in plea was not immediately known.

"Consular officials are aware of developments in the case of Leo Del Pinto. To protect the personal and private information of the individuals concerned, we cannot comment further on the details of this case," Beatrice Fenelon said in an email.

"Our thoughts continue to be with the family and friends of the Mr. Del Pinto."

The former officer had already been sentenced in 2011 to 25 years for murdering his pregnant wife.

Word of the guilty plea provided some solace for Del Pinto. He said his son was a "good boy" who didn't deserve to die.

"I'm not going to say all closure because my son will never come back to me," said Del Pinto. "But I'm sure we will get a little bit of closure and justice. I was asking for justice from the beginning and it looks like I'm going to receive it."

Del Pinto said he and his wife Clara will leave Calgary Aug. 15 to attend the official verdict and sentencing on Aug. 20 in Chiang Mai.

It will be the first time they have visited Thailand since his son's death. Del Pinto said they intend to visit the spot where he died to try and understand what happened.

He said it has been a terrible five years.

"It's put me through hell for five years. I'm lost without my kid. He was a good boy. He did his schooling and what we asked him to," he said.

"It was a senseless death and he saved a young girl also. It's just so frustrating."

Source: http://www.theprovince.com/news/Father+Canadian+slain+Thailand+five+years+says+suspect/8759478/story.html

-- The Province 2013-08-08

A disgrace it took 5 years. heads should roll

Only 5 years, it must have been fast tracked !

Where we come from Blether a case in the High Court has to start within 80 days of being charged, it used to be concluded within 80 days until a clerical error allowed two armed robbers to walk so the procedure was amended,

He made a deal confess and get years cut of from his murder conviction of his wife,The government needed the confession,

Really? Where can I read up on that? Cheers.

On Thai Visa, the forum for unsubstantiated comments.

I look forward to the part where the government "needed" the confession.

• Like 2

Is he in jail for murdering his wife or on bail pending appeal, does anybody know?

I think he was on bail for the wife's murder when he killed the Canadian. Either that or he was on bail when he killed his wife. Another nutter with a gun.

So... because they let him get away with murder in 2008, he was able to murder his wife in 2011???

exactly..

after 2008 murder he was still on duty - working.

However - Canadians were shot;

his young,pregnant wife was murdered with big stick.

Interesting. Look at how quickly certain recent murders and crimes have been "solved". Perhaps Chalerm should have been on this case too. Wonder how quickly these will come to court when it seems certain "powers" want it all cleared up quickly?

The Ferrari boy murderer and the actor who shot his "friend" in the face on cctv haven't come to court yet. Wonder if they ever will?

I presume all these people are out on bail until sentenced. Is the ex-cop actually serving time for his wife's murder? If so, he might be pleading guilty now and expecting to receive a reduced concurrent sentence. Probably wangle some kind of parole or pardon in a few years, and who knows, maybe even back on the job.

Some people always say there is no justice in this world - certainly seems particularly true in this legal system. Although it is probably the same in many developing countries where corruption is the way of life.

Edited by Baerboxer

Had the victim/s had the fortune to be born Chinese, this case would have had him in Court in five weeks, not five years. The Chinese Government takes care of it's citizens. Unlike the useless 'we really can't get involved' crew who constitute our sharing caring embassy staff, of every other country bar CHINA. Why's that then?

Edited by jpeg
  • Like 1

I said it before once, I'll say it again, if any country needs the Chinese form of justice, it's Thailand. Intentional homicide? Capital punishment, usually administered WITHIN one year. Let's see how many Thais go get drunk, with the gun as the back up plan.

• Like 1

I said it before once, I'll say it again, if any country needs the Chinese form of justice, it's Thailand.

No thanks. bah.gif

At least the judges here are legally qualified, and have some degree of independence from the State - whether or not they choose to exercise it.

Edited by jackspratt

Posters above! - you are not fair.Police killer was even in custody in Bangkok for a short time;so authorities made serious efforts to punish him.It was torpedoed by Pai police,which refused to cooperate and they did not send any required documentation.Pox on them!

Is he in jail for murdering his wife or on bail pending appeal, does anybody know?

I think he was on bail for the wife's murder when he killed the Canadian. Either that or he was on bail when he killed his wife. Another nutter with a gun.

No I think he killed his pregnant wife afterwards. Much later.

Pai killer cop changes plea to guilty

1375956662_1.jpg

Pai killer cop changes plea to guilty

PAI, MAE HONG SON: -- Five years after a young Canadian was shot and killed in the hippyish resort destination of Pai, Mae Hong Son province, the suspect a police officer has changed his plea to guilty.

The father of Lee Del Pinto, 25, told the Canadian Press he was finally getting justice on hearing that the Thai policeman accused of murdering his son had pleaded guilty.

The Canadian tourist, 25, died after being shot in the face and chest in Pai in January 2008. His friend, Carly Reisig of British Columbia, was also hit once in the chest but survived.

Pol Sgt Uthai Dechawiwat, who was off duty at the time, was charged with murder and attempted murder, but initially pleaded not guilty.

Uthai had already been sentenced in 2011 to 25 years in jail for beating his pregnant wife to death.

The father confirmed that he had received an email informing him there was a court hearing scheduled for July 2, but later he was told that Uthai had changed his plea to guilty on all counts.

That brings some closure to the family in Canada, but will raise the question as to why a high profile murder trial involving a foreign national had dragged out for five years to finally conclude with a change of plea.

There have been calls by the tourism industry to introduce fast track justice for crimes involving tourists, but the proposed tourism courts that are supposed to be set up in popular tourist destinations will cover only petty crimes and spams.

A spokeswoman for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs confirmed the department had been informed of a development in the case. The reason for the change in plea was not immediately known.

Mr Del Pinto said he and his wife Clara will leave Calgary next Thursday (August 15) to attend the official verdict and sentencing on August 20 in Chiang Mai.

It will be the first time they have visited Thailand since his sons death. Mr Del Pinto said they intend to visit the spot in Pai where he died, to try to come to terms with what happened.

Its put me through hell for five years. Im lost without my kid... it was a senseless death... (although) he saved a young girl. Its just so frustrating.

Pai is a popular cool season destination for young Thai travellers who dress in chic branded winter clothes bought from expensive shopping malls in Bangkok for a stroll through the towns night market, in temperatures that can drop to single digits on winter nights.

Today Pai is also packed with international tourists, who go to the valley to enjoy trekking, white-water rafting, elephant rides and visits to hill-tribe villages.

But like many tourist destinations that expand at a meteoric pace, security and safety in Pai have suffered.

TTR Weekly

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/pai-killer-cop-changes-plea-to-guilty-41289.php

tpn.jpg

-- Phuket News 2013-08-08

As usual the guys at meebal.com didn't hold back with their assessment; nice to see a news site that's prepared to give an open and honest opinion; whether you like it or not.

Thai Policeman Finally Confesses to Murdering Leo Del Pinto After 5 Years

As for this scumbag he's likely to rot in prison unless someone pulls some serious strings to get him out.

• Like 1

Posters above! - you are not fair.Police killer was even in custody in Bangkok for a short time;so authorities made serious efforts to punish him.It was torpedoed by Pai police,which refused to cooperate and they did not send any required documentation.Pox on them!

Which begs the question why on earth have the ranking officers at Pai not been sacked or even disciplined for their inaction?

RTP, rotten to the very core.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

In Jail now.

despite the accusation of the crime the courts allowed bail; it was only a matter of days into his bail that he took a lump of wood and beat his pregnant 18 year old wife to death and then proceeded in the attempt to cover up her murder by saying she had run away. Her body was later discovered by villagers in a shallow grave.

LINK

Thai Policeman Finally Confesses to Murdering Leo Del Pinto After 5 Years