non-refundable return ticket FRA-BRU-FRA

yermanee

Probably a stupid question but what happens if one doesn't use the outward leg of a ticket? Does the inward leg become void?

The reason I ask is because a family member offered to come and pick me up at Frankfurt airport which would suit me just fine.

Thanks beforehand for any reply.

Yermanee wai.gif

p.s. have mailed Lufthansa but no reply yet (more than 2 days).

In my experience unless you inform the airline of your plans prior to missing the outward leg they will class you as missing the flight and cancel the return leg.

I've purchased 4 leg tickets where the first and last flights are actually bus trips. By informing the airline prior to travel that I would be driving my own car on those legs I haven't had a problem.

Others I know who didn't inform the airline regularly ended up wait listed when they booked in at the airport.

In some cases when they arrived at the airport to return on leg 3 they were told the ticket had been cancelled as they didn't board the first leg of their trip.

Thanks Guys,

Pretty much what my instinct told me..

I think I'll politely refuse the offer.

Re Williaminbkk I miss him too. Don't know what happened, probably veto from his employer.

Thanks again Guys

Yermanee wai.gif

For all airlines, they will void the entire ticket if you either fail to fly the first leg, or inform them of your desire to change your itinerary.

If you could share more details we might offer up some options.

From the limited details you've provided I honestly can't figure out what you're trying to do, but you might be able to change your existing ticket to an "open-jaw", so utilizing ground transport for FRA-BRU, but keeping your BRU-FRA-BKK return intact.

Airlines generally have a clause: "flight coupons must be used in the order they were booked". Therefore you can't just board the FRA-BRU sector without having flown the first sector. Purchasing a one way ticket for only FRA-BRU, after having driven the first sector would of course work. Best to be sure about your plans first rather than book a ticket that you will probably end up not using. Also, after having booked and paid for a confirmed ticket, you generally have to pay a cancellation fee to cancel your ticket and in your case, you purchased a non-refundable ticket so you can kiss your money goodbye if you don't use the ticket.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

Airlines generally have a clause: "flight coupons must be used in the order they were booked". Therefore you can't just board the FRA-BRU sector without having flown the first sector. Purchasing a one way ticket for only FRA-BRU, after having driven the first sector would of course work. Best to be sure about your plans first rather than book a ticket that you will probably end up not using. Also, after having booked and paid for a confirmed ticket, you generally have to pay a cancellation fee to cancel your ticket and in your case, you purchased a non-refundable ticket so you can kiss your money goodbye if you don't use the ticket.

Well first of all it's a stand alone Lufthansa return ticket FRA/BRU/FRA and was booked weeks ago. The offer to pick me up came out of the blue.

This non-refundable ticket cost Euro 120,- so it's not a big loss.

Because of Lufthansa's pricing policy it's cheaper to buy a return ticket than a one way ticket anyway (don't ask me why).

Thanks again fellows I think I'll just decline the offer to pick me up to avoid mishaps.

Yermanee wai.gif

Many years ago you used to be able to use the ticket in reverse order. i.e. You could book a LHR - BKK - LHR (because as we know its cheaper that way) but then fly BKK - LHR - BKK.

Sadly airlines cottoned onto this trick and added the clause Tomtomtom69 quoted: "flight coupons must be used in the order they were booked."