Thousand Island Sauce

chris26be

Yes making at home is so easy and just as tasty, probable more so as you can adjust to

your taste. It will keep in you fridge in as jar for as long as the use by of the I gredients which is why you should only use cream if you do not want to store it. Hei z to.ato sauce, heinz mayonaise and Worcester sauce works for me. Just mix together with a fork and if it looks right it will taste right.

• Like 1

Why not make your own?

Approx 1/3 Hienz tomato Ketchup

1/3 Salad cream

1/3 Cream

Few drops of Tabasco and Worcester sauce to taste.

You can add a little more or less of each item to suit yourself

HMMM - difficulties with this suggestion (LOL):

1. Everyone on Earth has different taste buds, so what one finds delicious and other finds disgusting. I strongly dislike the taste of beer, yet it sells well.

2. I find 'salad cream' is disgusting, so this recipe is completely unusable - perhaps I could substitute Mayonaise or Miracle Whip...

3. The recipe With which I am familiar has no cream or tabasco, but uses tartar sauce or chopped pickles...

• Like 1

I am not sure where you are living but Foodland in Bangkok sells it in the large bags and it is not expenisve. One bag will fill a couple of normal size jars.

1000 ISLAND DRESSING

1 c. mayonnaise
1/4 c. ketchup
2 tbsp. sweet pickle relish
Dash of seasoning salt

Mix all together in a small bowl. Chill.

• Like 2

I am not sure where you are living but Foodland in Bangkok sells it in the large bags and it is not expenisve. One bag will fill a couple of normal size jars.

1000 ISLAND DRESSING

1 c. mayonnaise

1/4 c. ketchup

2 tbsp. sweet pickle relish

Dash of seasoning salt

Mix all together in a small bowl. Chill.

Since I do not like it too sweet, and a bit on the spicy side, I replace some of the Ketchup with Chilli sauce and instead of sweet relish use some diced Cornichon or European pickled Cucumbers.

For the Mayonnaise, the best is to use foreign products, since local (Best Foods etc.) tend to be horribly sweet. Self made Mayo is an option, but be careful with fresh eggs and use it quickly.

Oh in case you have not noticed, I despise Reade made dressings. They never really taste great.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I do find the choices of dressings here limited and expensive due to them being imported.

All the ingredients for 1000 island are cheap and easy to get except the pickle relish. The only pickle relish I'd even consider is DelMonte and it's fairly expensive at 140+ baht for a 12oz bottle at Villa Market, if memory serves me. There are other pickle relish brands and much cheaper, but they suck IMO. If this were my dressing of choice I'd make it with DelMonte and it'd still be cheaper than buying the imported stuff.

I have a friend bring packets or powdered dressing mixes from the US and just mix them with oil and vinegar.

Yes, they do sell the Best Foods brand in large plastic bags and it makes it much cheaper. I tried their Ceasar mix in one of the bags and it was one of the best, but still something was off.

Edited by oneday

I use half mayonnaise and half Miracle Whip, Heinz type of chili sauce which is like a tomato chutney, sweet pickle relish. and tabasco sauce. Unfortunately Heinz Chili Sauce is not available in Thailand. I make my own. You can substitute ketchup and a dash of Worchester Sauce. Pickle relish is available at Foodland and Villa, but only for very rich people. I also make my own.

Never in my life have I ever heard of "salad cream". Must be called something else in the US. To the OP's request, I buy either Remia or Kraft.

A Heinz product so, presumably, American.

http://www.heinz.com/our-food/products/saladcream.aspx

If you looked at the link your provided, you would have seen:

Heinz® Salad Cream was the first brand developed exclusively for the U.K. market. When first created in Heinz’ Harlesden (London) kitchens in 1925 much of the preparation was done by hand. Salad Cream jars were hand-packed in straw-lined barrels- 12 dozen in each. The work schedule was 180 dozen jars a day- with a halfpenny a dozen bonus if our loyal, skilled workforce could beat the target.

It was developed because mayonnaise was too expensive or too difficult to cobble together for many Brits:

Due to the higher cost of ingredients during periods of rationing in the United Kingdom a flavour similar to mayonnaise was achieved in the creation of salad cream.

Edited by Suradit69

"Yes, they do sell the Best Foods brand in large plastic bags and it makes it much cheaper"

I think the big bag at Macro is 67THB - the jar in Rim Ping 109THB (15 oz) - wife says the bag could fill 2 jars.....

Don't know what she uses to make the 1000 Island - tastes good and I eat it.....

Hienz Salad Creme, I'm 62 and American and have never seen this product in the USA. I am a big salad eater so I should have seen it if it were on the shelfs.

I'm very sorry to say but neither your age or nationality are a reference.

laugh.png

Salad cream is a cheap substitute for mayonnaise developed in the UK.

I agree that Heinz Hot Dog Relish is good but very expensive here 138.25 THB for a small 10oz. Jar at Foodland. However there is a Thai product called Butcher's Choice Brand Hamburger Relish that comes in a bigger jar and is very good, the only ingredient that isn't in it is mustard so I just add that on my own. I was reluctant to buy it but found it is very good and much more inexpensive. It can also be found at Foodland.

Heinz Salad Cream is not even close to any mayonnaise I have ever tasted... It's made especially for the refined British pallet ... just like Marmite! tongue.png

HSC is sold at Makro, here, and pretty certain I have seen it at Tesco too! (Cross and Blackwell Salad cream almost same same, but a little different! )wink.png

Heinz Salad Cream is not even close to any mayonnaise I have ever tasted... It's made especially for the refined British pallet ... just like Marmite! tongue.png

HSC is sold at Makro, here, and pretty certain I have seen it at Tesco too! (Cross and Blackwell Salad cream almost same same, but a little different! )wink.png

"Heinz Salad Cream is not even close to any mayonnaise I have ever tasted... It's made especially for the refined British pallet ... just like Marmite! tongue.png "

Presumably you meant "palate," since a pallet (pictured below) is used when loading things, like crates of cheap tasteless Salad Cream suitable for numb British palates. Although the discerning British palate might be unable to detect the difference between a pallet and other British fare like Spotted Dick or Toad in a Hole.

What would you call it if you blended Spotted Dick with Toad in a Hole, I wonder.

post-145917-0-10796500-1376120747_thumb.

post-145917-0-79698400-1376120767_thumb.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

All the above good – here’s my contribution – call it 999 Island Sauce if you like biggrin.png

Mayonnaise and ketchup as a base

Salt & Pepper to taste

Drop of olive oil

Drop of vinegar

Chopped / ground onion – or onion powder

Chopped / ground garlic – or garlic powder

VERY small amount of mustard

Tabasco and/or chilli sauce or powder?

Any herbs you like – oregano, coriander, whatever

Mix it all in a bowl – place in freezer for 15 minutes maximum - really

Remove, stir well and leave in Fridge until you want to use – any left over put in a screw-topped jar or plastic container

You can alter proportions to taste – oh and it’s also good on fish

Edited by VBF

... mayonnaise developed in the UK

... And perfected by the Japanese (like Kobe beef and and world-renowned scotch.) Have you tried Kewpie Mayonnaise, especially the more-expensive Japanese style? This former Hellmanns fan suggests you try it. Seems the Japanese can get everything right except nuclear power. 2nd choice cause you can't get it here - Vegannaise, developed by vegans in the USA. Now I'm hungry for a Kewpie sandwich, (sandwich - also developed in the UK.)