Question About 400k Balance On Marriage Visa..

i've been in thailand for 2+ years and had offshore income (i'm VP of one company, board member in another, plus stocks) during this entire time which was transferred here every month and of course spent in thailand as well. i dont think i need to pay taxes for this since i was on a tourist visa? will this change once i'm on a non-imm O marriage visa or...? i'm confused now.
The way I understand it, officially Thai income tax is due on foreign income only if that income is brought into Thailand during the year it is earned.

If you get your foreign salary paid into an account abroad and since Thai authorities have no access to that account, unless you tell them otherwise all money you transfer from your foreign account to your Thai account was earned in earlier years., i.e. you are not living on your current income, but on savings.

---------------

Maestro

Ok people,I'm new to this forum but have been reading messages as a visitor.I have a question that someone may be able to answer for me.

I had a Non Immig. O Visa (retirement) originally, issued in Brisbane Australia, with the 800,000 baht condition attached.Have since married my Thai girlfriend and had my latest Non Immig O Visa (marriage)renewed for 1 yr,showing 400,000 baht in my Thai bank a/c. Here's the thing.I did not show Immigration,both here in Pattaya or in Brisbane, that I own a rental property in Australia giving me an income of approx 35000 baht a month(depending on currency ex.)

If I get this rental income approved by my Embassy, then do I still have to show 400,000baht in my Thai Bank a/c at my next renewal in November,2006, or can it be a proportionately lesser amount?

I am not so sure they like granting marriage visas. After all the BS and returning 4 times over a 6 month period for the final stamp, they said I get to start over again because I left the country for a 2 week vacation. I heard new rules from BKK..I think they want to keep it difficult. Not the cash, I showed 2 mil in my bank. good thing I have been here long enough to know that anything can happen. amazing thailand.

I am not so sure they like granting marriage visas. After all the BS and returning 4 times over a 6 month period for the final stamp, they said I get to start over again because I left the country for a 2 week vacation. I heard new rules from BKK..I think they want to keep it difficult. Not the cash, I showed 2 mil in my bank. good thing I have been here long enough to know that anything can happen. amazing thailand.

You can not leave Thailand on an extension of stay and keep it alive without obtaining a re-entry permit first. So yes, you have to start over. This is not something new (unless you had a re-entry permit).

On this subject of money in the bank.

Is there any particular account the money has to be held ?

(Ie) There are such things as high interest fixed term accounts that pay a decent return.Obviusly the access to these accounts are restricted so may not be acceptable as regards to the funds supposedly there to support yourself for the coming year.Any comments on this ?

Also Sterling held accounts within Thailand,again pay a higher return,what about these ?

I think it is absolutely deplorable all this fuss is made to obtain the yearly extension.Thai's can settle in the UK without a bean to their name.They are able to work and after just 2 years can stay forever with no further worries.Why the hel_l do Thailand make bona fida retirees with family and commitments in Thailand jump through hoops every year and make us feel grateful at the end of it .

What happens in years to come when the amounts increases to say 1 million/ 2 million in the bank and someone who has been happily married with children ,a house and many long standing friends is told to leave the country.

This worries me i must say.

hwest

Mmmmmmmmmmmm ... some of them can. The majority can't even get a basic tourist visa. I don't see too many foreigners complaining about not being able to enter Thailand visa free :o

You can not leave Thailand on an extension of stay and keep it alive without obtaining a re-entry permit first. So yes, you have to start over. This is not something new (unless you had a re-entry permit).

That is the only thing that could explain it i guess. i am confused. I have a multiple entry non imm visa.The last stamp says "applicant must leave the kingdom within the date specified herein , offenders will be procecuted 29 july 2006... I guess I needed a re-entry permit....my mistake??? thanks for your input and help

Once you start the extension process you want to maintain the 30 or 45 day extension of stay or you have to start over. To do that you obtain a re-entry permit that will match the extension period before you travel. And you must return before that date.

You made your last entry with the multi entry visa so after 60 days you should start the marriage extension of stay process again.

Once you start the extension process you want to maintain the 30 or 45 day extension of stay or you have to start over. To do that you obtain a re-entry permit that will match the extension period before you travel. And you must return before that date.

You made your last entry with the multi entry visa so after 60 days you should start the marriage extension of stay process again.

thanks for the info lopburi, you answered all my questions..learn from mistakes, I had no clue about all that..good luck