'Liking' political rumours is a crime

Lite Beer

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this is simply rhetorical posturing, then it is what you would normally expect and get from many of those involved in Thai officialdom. If not, then this has serious implications for the future.

It will be only a matter of time before the world media gets a hold of these comments, and then it will be very interesting to see the reaction from the Thai authorities.

I have posted the link elsewhere.

• Like 1

I actually sympathize with this man. He is doing his job. His job is preservation. Self-preservation. Status quo preservation.

On the other hand, there are problems looming on the horizon. The problems are many and of different kinds.

Problem 1. The Jinn is out of the bottle. No Police, no Army, no Law, no country can shut down the Internet.

Problem 2. Introduction of Draconian Laws in any country immediately makes it look like a fool.

Problem 3. Political science is not a science. It is Political and politics change.

Problem 4. People think or do not think. People like or do not like. To control these processes prohibition is counterproductive. One needs Crowd Psychology Control.

Problem 5. Clicking 'Like' is a far cry from Action of Terrorism, Subversion or of Threat. It is obviously perceived as Threat, but being a Perception, can hardly be used for Prosecution.

As said above I sympathize with the General. His task is far too complicated compared to catching a criminal Acting Terrorist. Personally I hate the idea of any political disturbance. I think them all counterproductive. I am not even a member of Facebook. But I have seen people doing 10 years in hard labor camps for telling a Politically Incorrect joke. Like the one described in OP. I wish the General luck. But I do not like or share his ideas. And I have no intention of taking any Action against these ideas except saying: 'I do not Like'.

Edited by ABCer

Boy is it reassuring to know that we have confirmation that Thailand doesn't adhere or apply the principle of law but rather than principle of political science. Whew it was worrying before this confirmation. One might have thought that law would prevail, but we can now be sure that Thailand is all about political science.

political science
noun
a social science dealing with political institutions and with the principles and conduct of government.
  • Like 1

Doe's it stop here or spread it's wings to liking comments that may tarnish Thailand's reputation. There are numerous facebook pages about corruption, the scams and things like the little girl Air who was beaten. If you pressed like on one of these could you be seen as anti Thai and tarnishing the good reputation of the country?

You got it. It starts with "likes" about "coups" and continues on to anything that goes against their screwed up perception of "Thainess".

If only they realized how stupid they are making themselves look in the real world outside of Thailand (not that they would give a shit anyway of course). And for those that laughed when I said this place is getting more like North Korea every day, just wait, just wait . . . it's a slippery slope and we're going down it quicker and quicker.

Doe's it stop here or spread it's wings to liking comments that may tarnish Thailand's reputation. There are numerous facebook pages about corruption, the scams and things like the little girl Air who was beaten. If you pressed like on one of these could you be seen as anti Thai and tarnishing the good reputation of the country?

You got it. It starts with "likes" about "coups" and continues on to anything that goes against their screwed up perception of "Thainess".

If only they realized how stupid they are making themselves look in the real world outside of Thailand (not that they would give a shit anyway of course). And for those that laughed when I said this place is getting more like North Korea every day, just wait, just wait . . . it's a slippery slope and we're going down it quicker and quicker.

Exactly. The point from where this guy is speaking is that he is doing a top job without any understanding of the consequences of what he is doing.

He thinks he is being proactive and forward thinking when in reality he is acting in a very dangerous way. Thais really do believe that their country has such unique t traits that it is incomparable to other countries.

The parallels of actions like this are so well known, but this doofus has zero understanding of what the consequences may and probably will be. It's like watching 1984 or lord of the flies in reality.

• Like 2

"Q : Will this rule be applied to all cases?

We will just focus on cases of political violence. If you don't prevent it, bad news will be covered by foreign media and confidence [in Thailand] will be affected."

Ah, so that's it. Don't want any bad PR causing us to look bad. Good move then, we all know how much the press love censorship.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

"So you mean from now on, people can't click 'like'?

I'm not prohibiting from pressing 'like'. But if you 'like' this kind of message, you will be arrested."

So, erm, hmmm, yes you are prohibiting it then.

It's nuts. Is there a guide book for what you can and cannot like. Are there some things you must like?

• Like 2

"No. We work without any bias about the political colours. Two of those summoned were red shirts, another is a white mask. [The last one is Thai PBS editor Sermsuk Kasiti pradit.]"

Ha, ha, ha. Did this guy actually have the questions screened before this interview. If so he has had some bad advice on answering them. Ridiculous if he thinks anyone is buying this BS.

From Thai at Heart: 'The general doesn't even understand his own constitution, let alone political science.'

That seems to be the nub of this dangerous dilemma.

One must assume that at the very least, the good general knows that the Thai constitution enshrines freedom of speech as a given.

And yet, he doesn't even mention this - nor does the reporter. Why?

The idea that someone 'intentionally' uses the like button and therefore 'knowingly and willingly' condones the message is abhorrent. How does one grade any political commentary and benchmark this against a scale of what is acceptable or not?

Skepticism is healthy - as pointed out above - and is also absolutely necessary if we are to remain free of any authoritarian imposed dogma and to - at least in our dreams - consider ourselves to be truly free.

History is replete with those imprisoned for nothing more than their ideas. A prison can hold a person, but it cannot stop a person thinking.

• Like 1

From Thai at Heart: 'The general doesn't even understand his own constitution, let alone political science.'

That seems to be the nub of this dangerous dilemma.

One must assume that at the very least, the good general knows that the Thai constitution enshrines freedom of speech as a given.

And yet, he doesn't even mention this - nor does the reporter. Why?

The idea that someone 'intentionally' uses the like button and therefore 'knowingly and willingly' condones the message is abhorrent. How does one grade any political commentary and benchmark this against a scale of what is acceptable or not?

Skepticism is healthy - as pointed out above - and is also absolutely necessary if we are to remain free of any authoritarian imposed dogma and to - at least in our dreams - consider ourselves to be truly free.

History is replete with those imprisoned for nothing more than their ideas. A prison can hold a person, but it cannot stop a person thinking.

If he understood the concept of free speech, he wouldn't have started down the path he is on now. Minimum he wouldn't be talking with such certainty of his absolute right to act in the way he has.

You would be amazed how few Thais know their own rights.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Only in Thailand. A sign of things to come.

not only in Thailand, there are more countries where you will be arrested for "liking" and sharing political motivated posts. Face book, emails and for example twitter are great ways for governments to create a profile which later can and will be used against you. Freedom of speech does not exist!

• Like 1

So I live in Thailand but travel allot.. If I am Singapore for example on a business trip would a ",like" of a facebook page or share of page supporting a coup be deemed to be illegal ??

I wonder about the folks like this guy.... their possesive use of "I" worries me....

And still there are people claiming the military coup was good.   Thailand got stuck with an undemocratic constitution, and several laws limiting basic freedoms.  And there is nothing the current government (or ANY government) can do about it; they're simply not the ones in power. (Other than take care of the day to day stuff)

Other than for only half the senate being elected, how is the constitution undemocratic?

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

So I guess anyone who "likes" Thaksin's facebook page should be considered supporting an international criminal fugitive, huh?

Ohh what a beauty.. if only , if only the reporter had of had this question in........ I would have given up somtam for a week to see this asked...

• Like 2