Ouch! Power Cut.

monsieurhappy

I have just had a power cut at my house whilst using the computer. I have a UPS with stabiliser that normally takes care of everything until the power returns ( short break ) or gives me time to close everthing if the power cut lasts longer than a few minutes. This time everthing went down then the power returned after a couple of seconds but I had to reboot to get back online. I tested the UPS after I was up and running again and it worked fine, both using the test button and removing the plug from the socket. Anyone can tell me what this may be? Was it a power surge? :o:D

How old is your UPS? I had a Leonics II, bought in April 2002, and in December 2005 I experienced a similar problem as yours. The UPS worked fine afterwards but, last month, the same thing happened again. Now, the unit controller has failed completely and the local Leonics service agent told me that the initial temporary glitsch was a sign of this impending failure.

Me Too :D

We get a lot of power failures and power glitches round here. :o

I bought a new UPS a couple of years ago, 'Orbit' - it was only cheap (+/- 2k) and worked OK till recently when it could not always handle whatever they sent down the line and the computer would crash and restart. This usually happened when there was a brief glitch in the supply as against a regular power failure where the UPS would work OK.

Having lost a couple of hard drives, presumably crashing because of the power failures, I recently bought another UPS. 'Legend II' Again about the same price and sometimes the same thing still happens.

The UPS failure to protect the computers always seems to occur when there is a brief power break; sometimes not even enough to affect the TV yet the computer does a restart.

I seem to remember reading on this Forum about different phases of the electrical system cutting out giving weird results, like the lights stay on but the TV goes of and things like that. Would this affect the UPS?

Would a more expensive UPS give better protection? :D

:D

Me Too :D

We get a lot of power failures and power glitches round here. :o

I bought a new UPS a couple of years ago, 'Orbit' - it was only cheap (+/- 2k) and worked OK till recently when it could not always handle whatever they sent down the line and the computer would crash and restart. This usually happened when there was a brief glitch in the supply as against a regular power failure where the UPS would work OK.

Having lost a couple of hard drives, presumably crashing because of the power failures, I recently bought another UPS. 'Legend II' Again about the same price and sometimes the same thing still happens.

The UPS failure to protect the computers always seems to occur when there is a brief power break; sometimes not even enough to affect the TV yet the computer does a restart.

I seem to remember reading on this Forum about different phases of the electrical system cutting out giving weird results, like the lights stay on but the TV goes of and things like that. Would this affect the UPS?

Would a more expensive UPS give better protection? :D

:D

I am also suspicious concerning the quality of these instruments seeing the sales-prices!

I think abroad they can be bought more advanced and of course more expensive. The time I used a UPS in Europe one had to install also software to be able to programm the UPS. I think they are too straight foreward here, too simple!

Often the failure is a sign to replace the battery. It is a simple process of removing a few screws on most units but if you are strong you can carry into a shop and have them do. Batteries are now commonly available at many computer shops so should not be a problem finding one. Believe most all of the cheap units use the same type. Also believe most have a phone number where you can get service if you want to try that.

Almost all normal homes in Thailand use just one phase of electric - you may see next door have electric but you be out when one phase of the transformer fuse opens. It has nothing to do with a home type UPS problem (they are all single phase).

I am also suspicious concerning the quality of these instruments seeing the sales-prices!

I think abroad they can be bought more advanced and of course more expensive. The time I used a UPS in Europe one had to install also software to be able to programm the UPS. I think they are too straight foreward here, too simple!

They can also be bought here (advanced) such as APC (fully programmable with ethernet/serial/USB connections) and other brands. But you also have the low end (cheap) ones and these are the ones to be careful about. Another brand I have had good luck with in the middle pricing is PowerCom but generally stick with APC.

APC has models in Thailand ranging from 3,000.00 to 300,000.00 Baht and higher. PowerCom can run from ~2000.00 Baht to 500,000.00 Baht. Of course the high end units are for commercial such as banks, hospital IT systems, etc.

The problem with the batteries used (VRLA) is that they fail without warning.

I would recommend plugging in 2 100W light bulbs into the output once a year (without the computer), pull the input cord, and see how long it runs. Write down the time. When it drops to half the origina run-time, they are no longer worth anything (usually they say 70-80%, but for home use you can take a few more chances.

You could do it twice a year, but it can reduce the battery life some.

Without a discharge test, you never know if it will work.

Guest endure

If you're buying a UPS to protect your computer there is little point in buying the cheapest one available. The way to go is APC. They are the best UPS available.

If you're buying a UPS to protect your computer there is little point in buying the cheapest one available. The way to go is APC. They are the best UPS available.

Seconded. APC are THE premier UPS manufacturer, I never buy or specify anything else.

How old is your UPS? I had a Leonics II, bought in April 2002, and in December 2005 I experienced a similar problem as yours. The UPS worked fine afterwards but, last month, the same thing happened again. Now, the unit controller has failed completely and the local Leonics service agent told me that the initial temporary glitsch was a sign of this impending failure.

This is also a Leonics-Green 111 type. It's just 2 1/2 years old but as the guarantee was for 2 years I had better start looking for a replacement or a new battery. Thanks for the info. :o:D

This is also a Leonics-Green 111 type. It's just 2 1/2 years old but as the guarantee was for 2 years I had better start looking for a replacement or a new battery. Thanks for the info. :o:D

My failed UPS was a Leonics-Green also. I don't know where you are or even if you are in Thailand, but my local Leonics agent in Pattaya is Wattana Computers opposite Foodland in Central Pattaya Road.

hi'

to make short ...

a ups needs to be ckecked from time to time, unplug it and see!

if beeep and everything ok when plug back, battery ok!

also, needs to be recharge sometime, just let it on with nothing plug in, one night or so, twice a year :o

if no beeep and get down, back to shop!!

and full refund or simple change of ups!

and I'll second two of you, APC !!! only this one can give you a garanty of non failure over more than you may think :D

a bit more expensive than the others(cheap ordinary stuff) but the best of them all, and finaly all considered, reasonnable price;)

and choose one which can be linked to the pc through serial plug, so you may have better control over it.

francois

ps; avoid any made in china stuff, it's all crap s***, especialy lemel :puke:

I don't know all the brands available here, but other big players are Liebert, Eaton/Powerware, and Mitsubishi. APC has a wide range of stuff, and some of it is crap. Try to go for a "delta conversion" unit if you go with APC- great efficiency and online protection. An offline UPS might be good enough functionally, but usually the inverters can't take too much use on them.

BTW, everything is made in China- price is driven largely by the quality of the batteries and the duty rating of the equipment. Efficiency is another important factor. The good brands/models stand out because they are a little more robust.

My failed UPS was a Leonics-Green also. I don't know where you are or even if you are in Thailand, but my local Leonics agent in Pattaya is Wattana Computers opposite Foodland in Central Pattaya Road.

I am also in Pattaya, bought my UPS from Wattanas. So what's the best way, new battery or new UPS?

francois What you're saying is if UPS works ( beeep ) then battery is OK, so what is your opinion of the original problem? ie. This time everthing went down then the power returned after a couple of seconds but I had to reboot to get back online. I tested the UPS after I was up and running again and it worked fine, both using the test button and removing the plug from the socket.

According to your theory the battery is OK. I have tested it a few more times since the power cut and it works every time. When I had the power cut the phone line was also cut which doesn't normally happen even though it runs through the UPS.

Just one last thing, does anyone know, if the battery is on the way out will the stabiliser still work?

How old is the battery? If not new within the year I would replace it. A random failure is usually the first sign of impending total failure. The units should last a long time; but the batteries will not.

Monsieurhappy,

It looks a bit that the transfer time is a bit high. Normally a decent UPS should switch to its inverter within 2 to 5 msec when the power fails.

Anything higher and your equipment might shut down before the inverter kicks in.

If it's just on the limit your eqiupment can take, then maybe sometimes it shuts down, sometimes not.

If you plug in a 60 watt lightbulb, and you pull out the powercord from the ups, you should hardly any flickering of the bulb when the UPS kicks in! If the flickering is very noticable, your ups is just to slow, and you should better buy another!

Leonics does have some very good UPS's you just have to go for the better models.

I am also in Pattaya, bought my UPS from Wattanas. So what's the best way, new battery or new UPS?

francois What you're saying is if UPS works ( beeep ) then battery is OK, so what is your opinion of the original problem? ie. This time everthing went down then the power returned after a couple of seconds but I had to reboot to get back online. I tested the UPS after I was up and running again and it worked fine, both using the test button and removing the plug from the socket.

According to your theory the battery is OK. I have tested it a few more times since the power cut and it works every time. When I had the power cut the phone line was also cut which doesn't normally happen even though it runs through the UPS.

Just one last thing, does anyone know, if the battery is on the way out will the stabiliser still work?

hi'

if online with a surge protect for the tel line, when power off, your tel line is off too to protect it, so, you should have just needed to re-activate your connection ... why reboot?

if your com didn't turned off, your ups is ok.

a good ups, should keep the stabiliser on even on battery ...

not always the case ...

francois

Hi Monty,

My UPS is probably middle of the road as far as price and until the other day gave me no problems. I have not tried the 60 watt bulb experiment but have pulled the plug a few times since the initial incident without losing power to the comp. As a matter of fact, last night ( 17th. ) we had a short power cut and no problem. I could understand the comp. cutting out if the battery was dead but it's not. and I don't loose phone connection when I get a power cut even though the phone is routed through the UPS. That's why I asked if it could have been a power surge as I have no experience of these. I accept that everthing has a sell-by date and my UPS is 6 months past the guarantee but the battery seems to be OK. I have just pulled the plug for 5 mins. while writing this letter. I don't know much about electricity so can't comment about transfer time or switching to inverter. I don't know how a stabiliser works either, does it still work even if the battery is dead? Obviously, I'll be keeping an eye on things as I don't want a dead comp. but at the moment I'm treating it as a one off.

francois,

as I've said above, my phone line is routed through the UPS, normally, if there's a power cut, the battery keeps the comp. working and I am still on-line. When I had the power cut the other day, the comp. went down and the phone with it as if I had switched off the comp. whilst on-line.

I have one called a Liberta. It is a low end unit, IE inexpensive. It worked fine for over a year and worked well when the power would flicker or go off. Recently it just shuts down when the power is on. The first time it did that I checked the battery with a voltmeter and it was fully charged. It looks like some kind of glitch in the unit and not a battery problem.

I think you get what you pay for so I'll buy a more expensive one the next time. I'll buy the APC if I can find it.

You really can not check the condition of a battery unless it is under load so a voltmeter check could be misleading.

For the poster with a unit six months past warranty I would definitely try a new battery before it gets worse (which I expect will not be far off).