Finger-waving tourist receives Phuket lesson

Lite Beer

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phuket really is an utter dump. When will people learn?

And where do you live? Isaan nowhere, Bangkok Smog, Polluted Pattaya, Hua Hin golf course, Songkla bomb site?

Phuket has a reasonable infrastructure, Good hospitals, an International Airport and food from all over the world!!!

I have lived here for 10 years and don't intend to move in a hurry, it has night life if you want it and beaches second to none. I don't catch tuk tuks (very often) hardly ever go jet skiing and can usually bribe my way out of anything!

There is a good expat community and a fair choice of way of life. Sure the greed factor needs cleaning up but it starts at the top, it flows down hill. No different to anywhere else in Thailand! Of course if you can't afford to live here or your own country that's a different matter. You probably expect Western service for "Thai" prices too.

Maybe it is more expensive than other places in Thailand but honestly $30 for an hour cab ride when the driver has to go both ways (to return)? Is it as bad as our homeland(s). The tuk tuk's wouldn't have to extort people (as much) if they weren't being extorted.

However I don't condone violence and if the (corrupt) BIB attempted to uphold the law this sh1t wouldn't happen (as often).

• Like 1

And where do you live? Isaan nowhere, Bangkok Smog, Polluted Pattaya, Hua Hin golf course, Songkla bomb site?

Phuket has a reasonable infrastructure, Good hospitals, an International Airport and food from all over the world!!!

I have lived here for 10 years and don't intend to move in a hurry, it has night life if you want it and beaches second to none. I don't catch tuk tuks (very often) hardly ever go jet skiing and can usually bribe my way out of anything!

There is a good expat community and a fair choice of way of life. Sure the greed factor needs cleaning up but it starts at the top, it flows down hill. No different to anywhere else in Thailand! Of course if you can't afford to live here or your own country that's a different matter. You probably expect Western service for "Thai" prices too.

Maybe it is more expensive than other places in Thailand but honestly $30 for an hour cab ride when the driver has to go both ways (to return)? Is it as bad as our homeland(s). The tuk tuk's wouldn't have to extort people (as much) if they weren't being extorted.

However I don't condone violence and if the (corrupt) BIB attempted to uphold the law this sh1t wouldn't happen (as often).

"can usually bribe my way out of anything" ........"if the (corrupt) BIB attempted to uphold the law this sh1t wouldn't happen" - priceless. :) :)

I haven't read the thread. But I'm guessing.....

The information that the victim gave the assailant the finger came from the assailants or a third party and not the victim and was then quoted as fact by the "journalist".

Yes yes yes, the "victim"'gentleman's look let all of us guess it would be probably impossible he ever gaved the finger to anyone anywhere .

All in all, a pretty sorry picture. Ah! the sensitivity of Thai Asian men...if I had nearly run down two tourists, I also would be angry at getting the "Hawaiian good luck" symbol, they should have had more respect for our warrior race!!bah.gif

"Beaches second to none"

Dood, you really need to get off that thing you call an island!

Lets think about this for a minute, they crossed the road, the speeding motorbike nearly hits them, i ask myself what makes the 2 guys look back?? i would say a loud scream,when they looked back,he wagged the finger, i maybe wrong, just a theory.

I am a martial artist/instructor and can take good care of myself, but i never get the opportunities others get, because i am very humble and always bow down and say sorry to stupid acts of others....coffee1.gif

He's right, most people who get a beating have invited it themselves.

I agree. Next time keep your finger in your pocket. You can bet if he thought they would turn around he doesn't do it!!!! Serves him right. Punk !!!

• Like 1

If one were to look for the valuable real life lessons here, it would be:

1) Be careful when you cross the street, as the life you lose will be your own.

2) Lose your cool at your own risk. Flipping off people in Thailand may not result in the reaction you are accustomed to in your own country.

Right? Wrong? Will it matter when you are bruised and bloodied?

I remember the last time I was driving in Thailand, a pair of Caucasian ladies (looked British for some reason) just stepped dead into traffic* and put a hand out to stop traffic as they crossed. Luckily for them, I'm a foreigner driver and slammed on the brakes to let them by. If it were a local driver? Who knows, they might be dead. Some people who are used to, or assume they have right of way are just not thinking. Try that kind of road crossing in China and they'd be dead for sure. Even the Chinese wait and cross in packs.

My mother used to say "There's right, and there's dead right". Choose your fights carefully. Pedestrian vs. Vehicle....not so smart.

*adding a note. Traffic was bustling, not stop and go. I had to drop from 50kph to zero, just short of breaking traction.

Edited by voracious

Maybe one can put it down to the crappy weather today, many bored posters..i don't know, but i have never seen before such an over the top disgusting collection of posts in reaction to such a trivial matter.

<deleted> take a look at the pic of the "victim"..this was before he went away for a couple of stitches..he's hardly heading for ICU is he.
A couple of "asians" passed a guy at high speed crossing the road, the guy wrongly IMO,flipped the bird and the two took offence and came back and gave him a minor touch up.
An extremely minor event that could have happened under the exact same circumstances anywhere in the world and not even got a mention in the news in most countries, has shown the worst of the worst of TV posters through the full spectrum from useful advice on how not to have this happen to you , to all the keyboard tough guys telling everyone to have the balls to fight to the death nearly after such a minor non event, and the worst of all the obvious really intensive racial hatred displayed against Thais in general and also against Germans to a lessor degree.
I'm constantly amazed by what i've seen and heard in 20 years living in Thailand, but never as much as i am after perusing this thread.
Sure does give an indication ofsome of the types of people who now live here. sad.png
  • Like 2

Nobody seems to have asked the question as to what the police are doing about the incident. In civilised societies physical violence is not permitted even if you have been provoked by somebody giving you the finger. You have to accept the finger and return the compliment with two fingers. What is this society all about?

Farangs bring money to Thailand so the Thais hate us for having the money. It is true that the tourist industry has brought growth and wealth to the Thais but those who have not benefitted feel resentment.

The saddest thing about all this is that we cannot rely on the Thai police to do their job properly and so we farangs tend to feel insecure and unsafe here. Perhaps we should all leave and leave Thailand to the Thais.

What are the police doing?

They are reading these posts, noting the names of the posters and will be paying the negative ones a visit for "damaging the reputation of Phuket".

Beware!!!!

I have no doubt they would want to, but I am quite sure they do not have any officers who can actually read these posts biggrin.png

Reminds me it was well worth moving up here to our northern paradise of Chiang mai. I used to hate reading the Phuket news, when i lived there. Now i find it amusingwai2.gif That place won't get any safer any time soon.

Try waving your middle finger in the Singapore and you will be put in gaol.

The 2 Asian looking men might have been from another asian country. Not necessarily Thailand. They could have been Japanese

Maybe just with the beating with the fists part... But when the account added in the kicking with the feet part and two-on-one, that pretty well signals the pair were locals.

Maybe one can put it down to the crappy weather today, many bored posters..i don't know, but i have never seen before such an over the top disgusting collection of posts in reaction to such a trivial matter.

<deleted> take a look at the pic of the "victim"..this was before he went away for a couple of stitches..he's hardly heading for ICU is he.
A couple of "asians" passed a guy at high speed crossing the road, the guy wrongly IMO,flipped the bird and the two took offence and came back and gave him a minor touch up.
An extremely minor event that could have happened under the exact same circumstances anywhere in the world and not even got a mention in the news in most countries, has shown the worst of the worst of TV posters through the full spectrum from useful advice on how not to have this happen to you , to all the keyboard tough guys telling everyone to have the balls to fight to the death nearly after such a minor non event, and the worst of all the obvious really intensive racial hatred displayed against Thais in general and also against Germans to a lessor degree.
I'm constantly amazed by what i've seen and heard in 20 years living in Thailand, but never as much as i am after perusing this thread.
Sure does give an indication ofsome of the types of people who now live here. sad.png

Probably the best post in the thread.

I think the thing that has stirred so much backlash is the reporter's glee that the German got taught a lesson.

The fact of the matter is that this could have happened anywhere in the world. Road rage happens everywhere. The only blame to be dealt out here is for the reporter for thinking that mocking the victim of a crime, even if partially self-provoked, is the job of a journalist and his editor for running the story as is.

A number of posts have been removed from this thread for being:

Off topic, derogatory/racist, containing inappropriate language & profanity, unrelated Phuket or Thailand bashing, flames towards other posters.

Read the forum rules and stay on topic.

I am shocked!! It was only two against one!!

Unbelievable!! blink.png

Yes, in most western countries if some doofus gave some guys on a motorbike the finger they would either (1) wave cheerfully and thank the jerk for his instructive communication because everyone in the country would be mindful of the importance of supporting tourism or (2) they would return and one would pummel the moron while his friend held everyone's outer garments but refrained from participating.

I wonder if some of you are visiting the planet for the first time.

There is no way you would give the finger to a bike rider/s or even motorists in Australia no matter what the provocation. You may get similar treatment to the German guy in Patong. And there would not be any old fashioned ideas of one to one chivalry - you would be beaten up by the guy and is many friends.

So what about driving at pedestrians on a zebra crossing, is that normal practice in Australia as well.. sad.png

I am often puzzled by the comments by many contributors that Thais are cowardly in ganging up on their adversary. Where have you people been? In any conflict you attack in force, preferably outnumbering and out gunning your enemy. How do you think all wars have been won throughout history? The Thais are not cowards - just using their common sense. I would advise anyone else to do the same.

The German wrong! If he not come to Thailand the incident not happen!

What's wrong with you?Asian people can do what they want???German not wrong,The Asian idiots should respect the road rules!

LOL! It's an old saying around here. If farang wasn't here accident couldn't happen! What road rules? The rule here is pay attention and don't expect anyone to stop for you. Especially if they hit you! Defensive driving is the only thing that works here. Same for walking, especially when crossing a road! I'm not saying it's right, it's just reality!

Why? Because some guy crossing the street after drinking at a bar near a very busy road and doesn't bother to look before crossing that road and then flips off two guys? But you're right. I wouldn't miss either these type of tourists or the Thais that come here from other provinces to rip off and scam tourists. No wonder I never go near Patong anymore...

I don't like the outcome but tourists really should be careful when crossing the street. They often don't even look

and just expect everyone to stop for them. A car hitting a tourist will be pretty one sided, but a bike will probably

leave the driver worse off. Young Thai scooter drivers drive like maniacs, and car drivers tend to drive like maniacs

poorly. Just my opinion as I ride around on me scooter.