Finger-waving tourist receives Phuket lesson

Lite Beer

Germans are not popular in most places as they think they are better than everyone else, perhaps his waving conveyed this and Thais like most people don't like being looked down on. They clearly are not better than everyone else as they started and were beaten in two World Wars and now are banned from having a large military force.

A supreme race for supremacy by legends in their own minds.

• Like 1

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The article seems to insinuate that the thing that was wrong here was the fingerwaving in retaliation for the almost being killed or injured by dangerous driving. The dangerous driving was, by implication, overlooked.

What are foreigners supposed to do in such circumstances? Wai?

No, you tap the handlebars as they pass then go directly to the police and file a complaint that the two people skinned up and bleeding in the street hit you while you were crossing the street.

The German waved his middle finger at the two men. Seeing this, they turned around, came back and proceeded to give him a robust lesson in minding his manners, using their fists and feet.

These guys almost ran over the German and his wife. Pot and kettle come to mind. And it sounds like the writer of this article is quite pleased with the outcome.

And the sad reality is that a TV member with a gun and bullets icon is the one to actually summerize the facts into bitesize reality. Whilst others are jumping up and down on some unimportant tangent.

1. What is Thailand? A safe home for retired Farangs? Then such as this indicates otherwise.

2. A tourist destination? Maybe... but I am sure tourists want to feel safe.

3. A battle ground for Thai vs farang? I really don't think the x,xxx,xxx numbers of tourists come here for some martial arts, OK Coral show down... I could be wrong :(

Something is fundamentally wrong and needs a real repair job.

• Like 2

Germans are not popular in most places as they think they are better than everyone else, perhaps his waving conveyed this and Thais like most people don't like being looked down on. They clearly are not better than everyone else as they started and were beaten in two World Wars and now are banned from having a large military force.

And your point is?

• Like 2

The writer was indeed happy with the outcome. But there are a good deal of Thais who receive a 'tourist lesson' and end up needing medical attention. Of course the writer and others would likely characterise such incidents as 'assaults'.

• Like 1

If he had just used the zebra crossing all of this could have been avoided...

coffee1.gif

Excuse me!

Since when is it safe to use the zebra in Thailand?

You have to run for your life there too...

not seen too many zebras here lately, more elephant country 5555555555555555cheesy.gifburp.gif

end of a long WE, not too much inspiration todaypassifier.gif

Top answer! I look forward to your next 25 posts. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

The German should have given the old school two finger salute instead - the Thais would have returned to have their photograph taken.

There's something fishy about this anyway - rarely do Thai motorcyclists (especially those driving fast) look in their mirrors, so how did they know they were given the middle finger?

Edited by Gsxrnz
  • Like 1

Having just come back from a week in Phuket (and having lived there for 3 years 2 years ago) I can safely say it has gotten far worse. The airport is absoulte crap - as it always has been, overcrowded arrivals area, not enough luggage carosels, and the countless idiots trying to sell you taxi trips outside the door and then the congestion just trying to exit. Then there are the endless Russian and Chinese tourists everywhere, the ever present mafia - charging me 700 baht for a 15 minute taxi ride... the never ending traffic jams. The island is finished. I have no idea why anyone would want to either visit or live there. That was my last trip to little Russia! I am sure the police are doing everything they can to apprehend the motorcycle bandits that beat on the German guy - it will priority 1 on there list of things to do...

point taken and agree with everything, but where exactly is it you are living now?

Obviously the real lesson was that Phuket has become a tourist-hating hole where beating a tourist is seen as defensible and justifiable in all circumstances and no prosecutions of Thai tourist-beating gangs can ever take place. The conclusion of this lesson is absolutely don't go to Phuket. I urge people considering visiting Phuket to visit just about anywhere else in Thailand including Pattani.

Edited by Briggsy
  • Like 2

perhaps it is time that immigration officers issue weapons to tourists for self defense against "thainess" so that the tourists are not afraid to come here... ok.. this is meant to be black humor...but who is going to protect us from our own ignorant western habits, as thais are not trained to accept our bad behavior in favor of there own..

• Like 1

I am shocked!! It was only two against one!!

Unbelievable!! blink.png

Yes, in most western countries if some doofus gave some guys on a motorbike the finger they would either (1) wave cheerfully and thank the jerk for his instructive communication because everyone in the country would be mindful of the importance of supporting tourism or (2) they would return and one would pummel the moron while his friend held everyone's outer garments but refrained from participating.

I wonder if some of you are visiting the planet for the first time.

There is no way you would give the finger to a bike rider/s or even motorists in Australia no matter what the provocation. You may get similar treatment to the German guy in Patong. And there would not be any old fashioned ideas of one to one chivalry - you would be beaten up by the guy and is many friends.

I am often puzzled by the comments by many contributors that Thais are cowardly in ganging up on their adversary. Where have you people been? In any conflict you attack in force, preferably outnumbering and out gunning your enemy. How do you think all wars have been won throughout history? The Thais are not cowards - just using their common sense. I would advise anyone else to do the same.

• Like 1

If he had just used the zebra crossing all of this could have been avoided...

coffee1.gif

Your joking!! Thai's won't stop at a crossing. If they don;t stop for a red traffic light what chance that they will stop at a crossing. Are you sure you live in Thailand?

I am shocked!! It was only two against one!!

Unbelievable!! blink.png

Yes, in most western countries if some doofus gave some guys on a motorbike the finger they would either (1) wave cheerfully and thank the jerk for his instructive communication because everyone in the country would be mindful of the importance of supporting tourism or (2) they would return and one would pummel the moron while his friend held everyone's outer garments but refrained from participating.

I wonder if some of you are visiting the planet for the first time.

The situation would rarely, if ever, arise in the west because road users there are educated and know how to ride / drive and are generally courteous enough to give way to pedestrians crossing the road. Time and time again in Thailand I see mopeds blazing through areas where people are crossing, giving zero regard to them...even when others, i.e. Farangs, have stopped to let them cross, e.g. at a zebra crossing. Uneducated fools with no regard for anyone but themselves.

p.s. The Farang was still stupid to give the bird but if he / his wife had just nearly been killed, I can understand why he did.

• Like 1

Those two honorable Thai bikers should have sued the German "Farang" intruder (most likely posing as a tourist but working without work permit for a Russian tour operator) for

A ) Obstructing their way while undoubtedly being on a very important business mission (hence the increased speed what is totally understandable)

B ) For insulting them utilizing and executing a very, very, very rude gesture

C ) For causing them bodily harm by violently throwing his head and body against their hands which were clenched into a fist-alike appearance just to minimize the German gentleman's impact on their knuckles

D ) For the unnecessary delay they had to endure due to the incident while being on a business mission.

And finally

E ) File for compensation of their paycheck for a full month, as these unfortunate two Thai business biker gentlemen are not able to hold a and write with a pen, what even might cost them their well paid office job which these two certainly well-educated Thai gentlemen have.

Shame on the ones in this forum who believe a Thai could ever be wrong...

Edited by catweazle
  • Like 1