Koh Lanta Italian Restaurant

KRS1

Found a nice place close to home, that surprised me. Really tasty pasta dishes for around 100-150 baht, pizzas between 150-200ish (10") but are offered in 6" and 8" also at a cheaper price.

Pizzas are ok, but tend to be on the sweet side, nothing a few dashes of salt cant cure though, and balances well once you sprinkle some on.

Go down Nimanheimin until you see the SCB bank and turn into that soi, not sure about day hours , but evening they are open till 10pm, we stayed till 11pm though and didnt get chased off, we also walked in with full wine glasses and no corkage/bottle fee. (but we didnt walk in with a bottle)

Of course everyone will have their own opinions and this is just mine. smile.png

Penne pasta with pesto and bacon sauce, great !

photo0209.jpg

Linguine with carbonara and seafood, shrimp, calamari, salmon, great ! (calamari not that fresh though)

photo0208.jpg

Lasagne with beef, really good ! very hot and hit the spot...dont burn your tongue ! Sorry about the half eaten pic ...it was really good though smile.png

photo0211.jpg

10" olive and salami pizza with tomato and bell peppers...good pizza, but needs some salt sprinkled on it, tends to be on the sweet side, but not ketchup like, dont worry. Crust is thicker than Success Italian.

photo0213.jpg

Hawaiian Pizza, my friend pounded this one on his own.

photo0212.jpg

Last but not least, this is a really good red wine from Chile - Bodegas Centenarias 2011 Cabernet Sauvignon. Bought outside for only 395 baht, its on the same level of 1000 baht bottles.

bodegas.jpg

Edited by KRS1
  • Like 2

Liked the wine so much ended up buying the 4 bottle equivalent for 795 baht, not exactly the same. The box is a Cabernet Sauvignon-Merlot 2012, taste much better after a day in the wine chiller.

photo0216.jpg

Edited by KRS1

Been going there for appx. 6 years now, not regularly but a few times per year. The owner is a very nice guy. If I recall correctly he studied cooking in the USA and in Italy. They used to be on Kotchasarn soi 1 years ago. For a Thai run "Italian-style" restaurant I think this is better than any of them. The pizzas are good and like KRS1 said, so is the lasagna. I always order the chicken lasagna. It's a little spicy as he uses some Thai chili which I happen to like. Owner does all the cooking himself except for the pizza -- at least he used to. No shortage of customers, Thai and farang, and many long-time regulars. Good place. Worth checking out IMHO.

I saw that wine somewhere recently and almost bought a bottle but didn't at the last minute. Was it at Rimping - KRS1 - or Wine Connection? I forget.

Been going there for appx. 6 years now, not regularly but a few times per year. The owner is a very nice guy. If I recall correctly he studied cooking in the USA and in Italy. They used to be on Kotchasarn soi 1 years ago. For a Thai run "Italian-style" restaurant I think this is better than any of them. The pizzas are good and like KRS1 said, so is the lasagna. I always order the chicken lasagna. It's a little spicy as he uses some Thai chili which I happen to like. Owner does all the cooking himself except for the pizza -- at least he used to. No shortage of customers, Thai and farang, and many long-time regulars. Good place. Worth checking out IMHO.

I saw that wine somewhere recently and almost bought a bottle but didn't at the last minute. Was it at Rimping - KRS1 - or Wine Connection? I forget.

We got it at wine connection on Niman, but they are out now except for 1 last bottle kept in the wine cooler. They have the boxes though, but the boxes really do need to breath overnight. Im not a fan of refrigerated wine, but this one is an exception and doesnt turn sour when it gets overchilled. Alcohol content is quite high too ! :)

Im sure Rimping and other places should have it, since its not priced beyond reality, it should be found quite easily around town.

Liked the wine so much ended up buying the 4 bottle equivalent for 795 baht, not exactly the same. The box is a Cabernet Sauvignon-Merlot 2012, taste much better after a day in the wine chiller.

photo0216.jpg

you can take bottles from 'outside'? any cost? must try this place!

photo0216.jpg

we walked in with full wine glasses...no charge, but we didnt carry a bottle in.

But i doubt they would charge a bottle fee, doesnt look like the kind of place that would.

photo0216.jpg

we walked in with full wine glasses...no charge, but we didnt carry a bottle in.

But i doubt they would charge a bottle fee, doesnt look like the kind of place that would.

forgive me but WHO would walk into a restaurant with a glass of wine??? would you do that in your country? either it's "ok" and that's kinda insulting and rude to the place where you would eat OR they are "ok" and say "bring a drink"???

photo0216.jpg

forgive me but WHO would walk into a restaurant with a glass of wine??? would you do that in your country? either it's "ok" and that's kinda insulting and rude to the place where you would eat OR they are "ok" and say "bring a drink"???

we were drunk and it seemed like a good idea at the time.drunk.gif.pagespeed.ce.hfErN2aQEE.gif

and yes ive done it back home, waiters love nice friendly drunk patrons, we tip well.

Edited by KRS1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Out of interest I am wondering how the booking system works here in restaurants besides the high priced fine dining ones. I can't imagine a pizza place reserving tables and turning away other customers, customers respecting their reservations (being on time or canceling if not coming) or staff enforcing the policies by either not saving or giving away reserved tables, just for a few examples. As I don't find it necessary to, especially since we eat early, except for a holiday meal at Duke's for instance. Disregarding obvious situations such as very large groups etc. do many of you make ressies and if so how's is the experience?

p.s. Yes I realize that I might be opening a mighty large can of worms

Edited by junglechef

I make reservations if I think a place might be busy, and they've always been honoured. No bad experiences. It's just good manners.

I'm not a big fan of no shows, that's just plain rude. Even a phone call to say you can't make it is better than that.

• Like 1

I have been going there about once every 6wks for the last two years

We never go weekends as I know it will be busy and waiting 20min for pizza is a bind in any case.

Mondays they are shut,but mid week you get good service.

For me personally its the best,been to many, just happens that here is my favourite.

Girly always has chicken lasagne,but I think its their signature dish so it sells quick.

The pizza has three options, thin and crispy

Sent from my GT-I8160

continued....bloody phone

yes they do 3 types of pizza base, thin and crispy; thick and soft; and i think stuffed with cheese; so you have to find the base you like first before making a judgement on the whole pizza thing.

but i like it there, and the owner always has time to speak to us.

that aside the most memorable pizza was one i had at dukes; i dont think it was memorable for the taste, more for the size and the challenge that was beset me that i couldnt finish it.

• Like 1