Who [over 50yrs old] has not gotten a colonoscopy?

jaideeguy

I had the procedure done about 4-5 years ago at a hospital in Jeddah; there was no discomfort and I watched the monitor as the 'scope glided along and as the doc excised a polyp which was sent to the lab with a 'negative' result...I posted a description earlier in this forum...I was in my late 50s at the time...

in my case the examination is highly recommended as my dad died of bowel cancer, etc...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I recently had my first colonoscopy at the age of 70. Up until then, there had been no apparent reason to have one.

My understanding is, unless you have a family history, or symptoms, there would be no need to have one before 65, or 70.

(Mine was clear, a couple of polyps, which were removed).

Does anyone who's had the procedure done have any good recommendation for a doctor in BKK who does them???

It's a relatively simple procedure that can save your life (by catching any potential problem early).

But I share the feelings of others who are less than enthusiastic about having something stuck up their bum.... at least in a hospital setting. tongue.png

I would also welcome an indication of locations outside Bangkok - and also, the likely cost.

If you don't have a problem, leave it alone.

I don't have a problem - as far as I know. But, I am getting the age where you start thinking about these things - or at least, we have been programmed into thinking about these things.

Does anyone who's had the procedure done have any good recommendation for a doctor in BKK who does them???

It's a relatively simple procedure that can save your life (by catching any potential problem early).

But I share the feelings of others who are less than enthusiastic about having something stuck up their bum.... at least in a hospital setting. tongue.png

I would also welcome an indication of locations outside Bangkok - and also, the likely cost.

In this neck of the woods it's around 20k baht for an endoscopy and gastropscopy, if you're going to do one you should do the other as well.

• Like 2

Doing this saved my grandfathers life. If it's recommended by doc, then do it. Man up as uncomfortable as it probably is.

It is not the least bit uncomfortable or unpleasant, you lay on a trolley, you get a shot and you go to sleep, when you wake up you can remember nothing of what happened and your body feels exactly the same as it did before the procedure, after a couple of minutes you can walk around and there's no after affects from the anesthesia..

I agree with you that if you get put to sleep first that there is no discomfort. I have had it done twice, once whilst asleep (Siriraj) and the second one whilst awake (Thonburi Hosp.)which was MOST uncomfortable!!! Still, no more colonoscopies for me as I now have a stoma and my backside is sewn up!!

"Still, no more colonoscopies for me as I now have a stoma and my backside is sewn up!!'

Prodriver............ what the heck is a 'stoma'?? I checked on wikipedia and the term refers to plants, not humans. PM me if it is too personal of a question.

jaideeguy

Yes it is a personal question and could be looked up on the net or the question asked privately. Easily found on the net and no reference to plants ! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoma_(medicine)

To save the individual answering I will

A "stoma" is a surgically created opening on the abdominal wall which usually facilitates the discharge of faeces or urine when as a result of a disease process the "normal" means of discharge are no longer available (either temporally or permanently)

Happy you asked the question on a public forum ?

Edited by jrtmedic

Not nearly the big deal that many imagine...the drug they give you is amazing and I did not feel a thing. Better safe than colon cancer sorry.

One of the few procedures where they not only detect the problems/polyps if any and also remove them all in the same procedure with zero pain.

The worst part by far is the prep where you drink a bunch of stuff and sit on the toilet for a few hours the day prior.

• Like 1

Cost of Colonoscopy at Vibhavadi Hospital:

-- 7 July 2007 Vibhavadi Colonoscopy b 16,091 $474.80

Note: This included a one nite stay, checked in afternoon, drank their stuff, slept, and the colonoscopy the next morning, back to the room, lunch, pay up and check out.

And I didn't find their mix of the stuff to drink bad at all, just bland and a lot of it.

Mac

• Like 1

If a person takes the view that tests such as these shouldn't be performed unless symtoms are present, that same person has to argue that no medical check should be performed unless they are sick. That same person probably argues that their car shouldn't be subject to annual maintenance checks and that buying a house doesn't require a survey, personally I think all those things are really high risk and to me that's really odd behaviour.

But there again, choosing a poor diet, smoking, drinking to excess on a regular basis and remaining overweight are also lifestyle choices that are high risk, my guess is though that such people get a wake up call at some point in their early fifties and begin to modify their behaviour in order to live longer and remain healthier, I doubt there's a wake up call however for corectal cancer, just something to think about!

• Like 1

This is what the U.S. CDC advises. They seem to be saying you can use any of the different screening methods. But the important thing is to be screened...and not do nothing. The FOBT test is completely non-invasive.

Colorectal Cancer Screening Guidelines

Regular screening, beginning at age 50, is the key to preventing colorectal cancer.1 The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) recommends screening for colorectal cancer using high-sensitivity fecal occult blood testing, sigmoidoscopy, or colonoscopy beginning at age 50 years and continuing until age 75 years.1

People at higher risk of developing colorectal cancer should begin screening at a younger age, and may need to be tested more frequently. The decision to be screened after age 75 should be made on an individual basis. If you are older than 75, ask your doctor if you should be screened. For more information, read the current colorectal cancer screening guidelinesicon_out.png from the USPSTF.

Recommended screening tests and intervals2 are—

• High-sensitivity fecal occult blood test (FOBT), which checks for hidden blood in three consecutive stool samples, should be done every year.
  • Flexible sigmoidoscopy, where physicians use a flexible, lighted tube (sigmoidoscope) to look at the interior walls of the rectum and part of the colon, should be done every five years with FOBT every three years.
  • Colonoscopy, where physicians use a flexible, lighted tube (colonoscope) to look at the interior walls of the rectum and the entire colon, should be done every 10 years. During this procedure, samples of tissue may be collected for closer examination, or polyps may be removed. Colonoscopies can be used as screening tests or as follow-up diagnostic tools when the results of another screening test are positive.
    • Colonoscopy also is used as a diagnostic test when a person has symptoms, and it can be used as a follow-up test when the results of another colorectal cancer screening test are unclear or abnormal.

http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/colorectal/basic_info/screening/guidelines.htm

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I have one ever 5 yrs it painless and if there a problem the Dr. Can fix if you wait till you get cancer then to late.I know someone who waited now he has a bag to him. Everybody over 50 should have ever 5 yrs the whole thing takes less then 15 mins

This is what the U.S. CDC advises. They seem to be saying you can use any of the different screening methods. But the important thing is to be screened...and not do nothing. The FOBT test is completely non-invasive.

Regular screening, beginning at age 50, is the key to preventing colorectal cancer.1 The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) recommends screening for colorectal cancer using high-sensitivity fecal occult blood testing, sigmoidoscopy, or colonoscopy beginning at age 50 years and continuing until age 75 years.1

People at higher risk of developing colorectal cancer should begin screening at a younger age, and may need to be tested more frequently. The decision to be screened after age 75 should be made on an individual basis. If you are older than 75, ask your doctor if you should be screened. For more information, read the current colorectal cancer screening guidelinesicon_out.png from the USPSTF.

• High-sensitivity fecal occult blood test (FOBT), which checks for hidden blood in three consecutive stool samples, should be done every year.
  • Flexible sigmoidoscopy, where physicians use a flexible, lighted tube (sigmoidoscope) to look at the interior walls of the rectum and part of the colon, should be done every five years with FOBT every three years.
  • Colonoscopy, where physicians use a flexible, lighted tube (colonoscope) to look at the interior walls of the rectum and the entire colon, should be done every 10 years. During this procedure, samples of tissue may be collected for closer examination, or polyps may be removed. Colonoscopies can be used as screening tests or as follow-up diagnostic tools when the results of another screening test are positive.
    • Colonoscopy also is used as a diagnostic test when a person has symptoms, and it can be used as a follow-up test when the results of another colorectal cancer screening test are unclear or abnormal.

It is important that people understand that the FOBT is not the same as the single stool test done in the various physical check up packages in Thailand. Not only is it multiple samples on different days but it is also a more sensitive test that can detect miniscule quantities of blood.

Just wondering how many of us are procrastinating about getting a check up with a webcam up your butt??

@ 66 yrs, I've delayed it too long and have finally been convinced to go for it.

Makes me wonder how many of us out there have delayed getting the procedure?? And why delay??

This is just a casual survey and just your age and reason for delaying it.

thanks in advance...........

Why do you want this, is there something wrong with you?

It is important that people understand that the FOBT is not the same as the single stool test done in the various physical check up packages in Thailand. Not only is it multiple samples on different days but it is also a more sensitive test that can detect miniscule quantities of blood.

So Sheryl, do the hospitals here typically do/offer the FOBT tests?

And if they do, does it mean scheduling and paying for multiple hospital doctor appointments and test resuts on different days? 3 or X times lab fee, doctor fee, plus facility fee, plus nursing charge, etc etc???

I knew a guy who didn't have any symptoms. Then he did have them and within months he was dead. Big shock to everyone. Great guy, miss him.

It's just stupid not to have the exam according to the medical recommendations. I admit I delayed, because of my healthy lifestyle, but it was a risk. Glad I finally did it. Wasn't bad at all; and it's never unpleasant to be helped along by attractive Thai nurses. Above in the thread are accurate descriptions of the process.

Do it!

• Like 1

I knew a guy who didn't have any symptoms. Then he did have them and within months he was dead. Big shock to everyone. Great guy, miss him.

It's just stupid not to have the exam according to the medical recommendations. I admit I delayed, because of my healthy lifestyle, but it was a risk. Glad I finally did it. Wasn't bad at all; and it's never unpleasant to be helped along by attractive Thai nurses. Above in the thread are accurate descriptions of the process.

Do it!

You can get very paranoid reading about all these tests you should have, it can also get very expensive, I have never been for any tests or any check-ups unless there has been something wrong, I will go and get checked out if there is a reason to do so, if it's my time in the near future then so be it, early detection of any illness is preferable but we are not all made the same way, I am not paranoid about things that might happen, just in case I am not here next week, see ya later!!

• 4 months later...

Do it!

It is at best inconvenient for two days and that's it. I have met two farangs here in BKK who waited too long and cancer spread and they ended up with colostomy bags. NOW, that's inconvenient! I had it done at 50, my Mom reminded me, at Bumrungrad and had one polyp removed and just completed the second at 55 and all clear making less costly that the first time.