25 days overstay

Hi all,

I'm actually looking for advice/help from people who have been in that position before.

My visa expired on July 20th 2013. At the same time, i had to renew my passeport since it was about to expire too (i realized it a day before my visa expire) so i had to contact my embassy and made a new one. I actually received my new passeport on august 4th. I'm actually quite worrited to go out as i don't know what will happens. I know many of you will say 'just go bangkok airport with the money, pay the fine and it's gonna be ok' but is there any ways i can do it by crossing borders? I'm actually in Chiang Mai and i don't know if it's safe to go at Mai Sai (Or if, for example, it would be recommended to bring a thai with me or i don't know...)
I can pay the fine no problems, but i'm just kinda hesitant cause i don't know what will happens.

Thanks you

Math

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Mat

Be careful if you need to move. You are in illegal situation, if the police control you they will arrest you. The sentence is 500 per day of overstay and direct in jail.

I suggest you to go faster in the immigration checkpoint to pay with apologizes but I think they ask you to go back in your country.

Other solution, see my private message

Good luck

Local police have no authority to fine you and must present you to a judge for sentence and that will most likely be less than 500 baht per day but may require several days in jail waiting. The 500 baht per day up to 20,000 baht is what immigration is allowed to fine you on exit of country.

Hitherto I have been labouring under the impression that overstayers who were caught by the BIB were automatically handed over to their immigration colleagues and banged up in the Immigration Detention Centre until they could produce the necessary resources to pay for both the overstay fine and a one-way ticket back to their home country. Is this not, in fact, the case?

They are taken to court and once that is taken care of most likely directed to immigration for further action, exit of country. Only those unable to exit (no funds most likely) stay in IDC unless directly arrested by immigration police and awaiting disposition of case.

As long as you pay the fine its all okay. They don't even mind letting you back in right away. The only danger is getting stopped and checked by the police. As previously said they will just send you straight to jail. I think they send you to BKK for processing.

I suggest you book a flight to Phnom Phen, head straight to the airport, pay your fine on leaving, make a new visa in PP and return safely without problems. In fact, any other country might do as well. Just don't get caught by police before you are checked in on the flight out of the country. And do it ASAP.

(Typo corrected)

Edited by hkt83100

You can pay the fine, Thai police like money :) I once overstayed 60 days just because I was a douche and did the "address notification" part of the deal at Suan Pluu but forgot to get my visa extended. Back in the days when I drunk alcohol 55. Anyway, when I turned up for my next extension at Suan Pluu they obviously noticed I hadn't extended the last time and had overstayed 60 days, so they just charged me whatever (30K I think), and I carried on living in the country. Bit of a shock, but no threats of jail. Just a bad wad of cash gone and lesson learned.

I stopped drinking after that biggrin.png

Math,

I am also in Chiang Mai, I had an overstay for a similar reason in June, only 5 days in my case, I went to the Immigration desk at Chiang Khong and paid 2500 baht, had my passport stamped and moved on to Laos. Easy. There were no police checks on the road to CK.

I went to Mae Sai at the end of June, my bus was stopped three times, the police made a point of checking all the Thais documents and ignored the farangs. I was talking to a farang local that told me they are looking for Burmese, not us. On the way back I was stopped three times again, once again I wasn't asked, but I did see them pull a Burmese guy off the bus for being out of zone.

Apparently they are allowed to cross for a day in Mae Sai, but can only travel a limited number of km's from the town.

Just go book the Green VIP bus to Mae Sai at the Arcade Bus station and don't worry about it. Once you get to Mae Sai it's a remarkably straightforward procedure too.

ps. I'm pointing out that the Thai police board the bus as a matter of course, don't take a panic attack when you see them board.

Your other alternative is to take a break to somewhere like Luang Prabang, direct flight from CM, just get to the airport, pay the fine and fly out.

Edited by theblether

Dear Mat

Be careful if you need to move. You are in illegal situation, if the police control you they will arrest you. The sentence is 500 per day of overstay and direct in jail.

I suggest you to go faster in the immigration checkpoint to pay with apologizes but I think they ask you to go back in your country.

Good luck

This is Incorrect They do NOT ask you to go back to your country just a bullshit statement just go to the boarder pay fine and come back no big deal

@MikeandDow sorry mate but your advice is both wrong and potentially very dangerous. If anyone is found to be on overstay by the police they are arrested and passed to immigrations. Its only 'no big deal' if you don't get stopped AND the immigration officer at the border accepts your reason for overstay.

I believe that legally you cant be arrested if you are in the process of rectifying the situation, ie on the way to an airport or border or immigration

They can.

Remember the Visa Run bus to Ranong that was stopped by police some years ago.

Police were on orders to stop illegal immigrants reportedly coming from Myanmar. When police could not find any illegal Burmese, they decided to stop the Visa Run bus. They just wanted to show success to their superiors.

Those tourists on overstay were trucked to Bangkok, and jailed while waiting to appear before a judge. One of them on a one day overstay, and indicated that he was on advice form immigration to just go for a visa run, pay the fine and everything would be ok.

To no avail.

Embassies got involved, which resulted in some leniency.

But the likelihood of being arrested while on overstay is very small.

The Phuket Gazette

February 10, 2006

Overstay 12 still in jail, face deportation

RANONG - A group of 12 foreign tourists arrested for overstaying their visas have spent their second night sleeping on the floor of a jail cell at Ranong Police Station.

Ranong Immigration Police, who have announced that they will deport the group, say they are only following “standard procedures” and will send the 12 to an Immigration detention center in Bangkok “soon”.

The group were arrested by a team of six Highway and Tourist Police officers at about 11 on Wednesday morning while on their way to Ranong and Burma for a “visa run” in the well-known “Big Bus”.

The bus was in Kapoe District, just 40 kilometers from the Ranong Immigration office, when it was stopped and the 12 were separated from the other passengers on board and placed in custody.

The most that any of the 12 had overstayed was six days.

Speaking from his prison cell, one of the detainees, a 31-year-old Australian man on his second trip to Thailand, told the Gazette:

“I can’t believe what has happened. The want to send us to the Bangkok Detention Center, from where they will deport us to our home countries – all because of a one-day overstay [in my case].

It was our second night sleeping on the dirty floor, with mosquitoes. I am black and brown from dirt.”

Some members of the group had contacted their embassies, he said, but been told, “Sorry. You are being deported – there is nothing we can do, it’s all part of ‘due process’.”

He said the group members had thought they would be released after paying 1,000-baht fines at Ranong Court yesterday. But they had been misled.

“The public prosecutor told us that if we just admitted to the Court what we did and paid a 1,000-baht fine, they would let us go to Immigration and we could complete our visa trip. We paid, but when we got to Immigration they fingerprinted us and said, ‘You’re being deported – immediately’.

Jutarat Payonchart, an employee of Phenpat Co Ltd, which runs the visa run service, told the Gazette from the Ranong courthouse yesterday afternoon that the police had overreacted in incarcerating the visa runners.

“Why did they have to keep them overnight in a cell? These aren’t illegal aliens trying to hide out in the country,” she said, adding that most had overstayed by just one or two days

Dear Mat

Good luck

You think wrong but I think it's not something we have to think about, it's something that we know or not, and when we don't know we shouldn't reply :-)

I believe that legally you cant be arrested if you are in the process of rectifying the situation, ie on the way to an airport or border or immigration

They can.

Police were on orders to stop illegal immigrants reportedly coming from Myanmar. When police could not find any illegal Burmese, they decided to stop the Visa Run bus. They just wanted to show success to their superiors.

Those tourists on overstay were trucked to Bangkok, and jailed while waiting to appear before a judge. One of them on a one day overstay, and indicated that he was on advice form immigration to just go for a visa run, pay the fine and everything would be ok.

To no avail.

The Phuket Gazette

February 10, 2006

RANONG - A group of 12 foreign tourists arrested for overstaying their visas have spent their second night sleeping on the floor of a jail cell at Ranong Police Station.

Ranong Immigration Police, who have announced that they will deport the group, say they are only following “standard procedures” and will send the 12 to an Immigration detention center in Bangkok “soon”.

The group were arrested by a team of six Highway and Tourist Police officers at about 11 on Wednesday morning while on their way to Ranong and Burma for a “visa run” in the well-known “Big Bus”.

The bus was in Kapoe District, just 40 kilometers from the Ranong Immigration office, when it was stopped and the 12 were separated from the other passengers on board and placed in custody.

Speaking from his prison cell, one of the detainees, a 31-year-old Australian man on his second trip to Thailand, told the Gazette:

“I can’t believe what has happened. The want to send us to the Bangkok Detention Center, from where they will deport us to our home countries – all because of a one-day overstay [in my case].

It was our second night sleeping on the dirty floor, with mosquitoes. I am black and brown from dirt.”

Some members of the group had contacted their embassies, he said, but been told, “Sorry. You are being deported – there is nothing we can do, it’s all part of ‘due process’.”

He said the group members had thought they would be released after paying 1,000-baht fines at Ranong Court yesterday. But they had been misled.

“The public prosecutor told us that if we just admitted to the Court what we did and paid a 1,000-baht fine, they would let us go to Immigration and we could complete our visa trip. We paid, but when we got to Immigration they fingerprinted us and said, ‘You’re being deported – immediately’.

Jutarat Payonchart, an employee of Phenpat Co Ltd, which runs the visa run service, told the Gazette from the Ranong courthouse yesterday afternoon that the police had overreacted in incarcerating the visa runners.

“Why did they have to keep them overnight in a cell? These aren’t illegal aliens trying to hide out in the country,” she said, adding that most had overstayed by just one or two days

Really frightening, on the other hand a good advice ! I certainly wont forget this article .

When you check in on leaving they will inform you you have overstayed.

You will then go to a little open office where you will be among fellow over stayers.

The office is staffed by Thai police.

You will be polite and civil and you will pay 500 baht for each day overstayed.

They will make out a receipt for you and when you have paid you are on your way.

This in no way will affect any future visa applications or entry into the country.

If for some reason you are stopped by the police before you exit the country and they find you have overstayed, then you are in trouble and will be put in the monkey house.

Hitherto I have been labouring under the impression that overstayers who were caught by the BIB were automatically handed over to their immigration colleagues and banged up in the Immigration Detention Centre until they could produce the necessary resources to pay for both the overstay fine and a one-way ticket back to their home country. Is this not, in fact, the case?

Those stories are based on facts that existed around 2003.

Around that time a wanted terrorist entered Thailand on a dickie passport or something like that and was eventually caught in Ayuthaya I believe.

At the same time many people were using agents who were border running passports, especially to the south.

The whole thing got clamped down on and many passports were found to have 'questionable' stamps in them from one particular border crossing, stamp in passport and nothing in the computer. That's the time Immigratation seriously started getting 'on-line'.

People with those stamps were banged up until they could prove they had finances to pay for a flight back to country of origin and if not blacklisted, some were, most not, they would get a new visa and return within a few days.

Those conditions don't exist now, so you may still find people that get problems but they are very far and few between that it is not really worth bothering about.

The usual humble attitude will get almost anyone out of a serious situation and it's only the belligerent few that get into the deep do-do.

Edited by overherebc

They can.

To no avail.

The Phuket Gazette

February 10, 2006

Really frightening, on the other hand a good advice ! I certainly wont forget this article .

See my last post.

How many years exaclty is a few. I mean exactly.