Test shows sea water at most beaches on Samet Island safe

webfact

Test shows sea water at most beaches on Samet Island safe

BANGKOK, 14 August 2013 (NNT) - The Pollution Control Department has reported that the quality of sea water at 12 beaches on Samet Island now meets the standard. However, people are still advised against swimming at Ao Phrao and Ao Tubtim beaches due to high mercury content.

Director-General of the Pollution Control Department Wichian Jungrungrueng on Tuesday announced results of the sea water quality test conducted with samples taken from the 12 beaches last week. He said the results showed that the pH, dissolved oxygen, arsenic and cadmium levels did not exceed limits.

As for mercury, the sea water at most of the beaches had less than the limit of 0.1 micrograms a liter, except the sea water at Ao Tubtim and Ao Phrao beaches which had 0.25 and 2.9 micrograms a liter respectively.

Although the levels are considered not dangerous and do not affect marine animals, Mr Wichian said swimming at the beaches should be avoided until results of the second test on the sea water quality come out on 15 August 2013.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-08-14 footer_n.gif

Good that they are coming out with what appears to be the truth and not just saying everything is lovely.

The fact that they are carrying out ongoing tests and making the findings public is great.

Quite reasonable to assume that there would be some contamination in the worst area of the spill and the chemical use.

• Like 1

High mercury levels found near spill site
Pongphon Sarnsamak,
Nakarin Srilert
The Nation

30212571-02_big.jpg

Visitors warned against swimming in Ao phrao and Ao Tub Tim

KOH SAMET: -- Visitors are being warned to avoid swimming in seawater surrounding Ao Phrao and Ao Tub Tim in Rayong province's Koh Samet after the Pollution Control Department (PCD) found mercury contamination exceeding the standard level.

Meanwhile, the Cabinet is now considering setting up a compensation fund for affected people and to help pay for the environmental damage. All oil companies operating in the Kingdom will be required to contribute money in support of the fund. The Cabinet also suggested help for affected tourism businesses.

"Visitors will not be allowed to swim in seawater in these two areas until test results show the seawater quality is safe," PCD director-general Wichien Jungrungruang said.

PCD started collecting samples of seawater from 12 of 20 beaches surrounding Koh Samet after the oil spill affected Ao Phrao on July 28.

The test results showed that the level of mercury in the seawater samples collected on August 3 had exceeded the standard, which should not be higher than 0.1 micrograms per litre. The level of mercury at Ao Phrao in the west of the island and at Au Tub Tim in the east recorded 2.9 micrograms per litre and 0.25 microgram per litre.

"This is a very critical level that might cause long-term side effects for humans," Wichien said at the press conference yesterday.

The study also showed the level of dissolved oxygen, acidity and basicity of seawater around these areas had not exceeded the standard level.

Also, the levels of cadmium and arsenic were not higher than standard and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon (PAHs) was lower than the standard criteria.

The department is now waiting for the test results for total petroleum hydrocarbon (TPH), expected to be released tomorrow.

To make sure the level of hazardous substances caused by the oil spill is receding, the pollution watch agency has conducted a second study and collected more samples of seawater. Results of this test will also be disclosed tomorrow too.

" I am really sorry … this test result is very late," Wichien said. "From now on, I will inform members of the public about the situation of hazardous substances in the sea around Koh Samet and nearby areas, every two days," he told the press conference.

To help tainted Ao Phrao and nearby areas recover from the oil contamination, the Natural Resources Ministry will tomorrow submit an environmental recovery plan for Koh Samet to the National Environmental Board. It will seek the board's approval before asking the Prevention and Elimination of Marine Pollution Caused by Oil Spill committee to implement the plan.

From now on, PCD will monitor the quality of the seawater for three months. The result of the investigation into the cause of the oil leak on July 27 and the spill on July 28 will be revealed today.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-08-14

Was it not just lat week that the Govt told everybody everything has returned to normal and no unusual amounts of mercury was present? Now its nearly 300 times the maximum safe level at Ao Phrao. What was the real level of mercury a week ago when people where told it was safe and return to the water and have fun?

• Like 2

Am I missing something ? Most beaches are safe but don't swim because of the mercury content. Safe?

Oh come on...it is all a question of the definition.

If you see "beach" as a bunch of sand...it is safe!

What you mean is "water"...and that is full of sh......

Same same...but different!

clap2.gif

• Like 1

Although the levels are considered not dangerous and do not affect marine animals, Mr Wichian said swimming at the beaches should be avoided until results of the second test on the sea water quality come out on 15 August 2013.

It only effects non-native marine mammals like humans??? I love how when this language is translated, it is apparently so easy to create such contradictions of logic. It's not dangerous to fish, but humans shouldn't take a dip. I mean, it's not like the fish aren't in the sea 24 hours a day.

• Like 2

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't it oil that PTT spilled? Would I be off base wondering if perhaps the mercury levels were a present existing issue?

Crude oil can have levels of mercury and other heavy metals depending on where it's from and what kind of environment existed where it originated as organic material millions of years ago, in environments much like the Gulf of Thailand today.

Refineries know exactly what is in the oil they buy in order to be ready to handle it within their process equipment. And different refineries can handle different types of crude oil.

It will be interesting to see if they release the assays from the crude in the tanker to see if mercury came from the oil and/or was pre-existing. Given that the crude oil is an all natural product (not harmless, just all natural), it's not hard to imagine that environments like the Gulf of Thailand have naturally occurring mercury levels- just like millions of years ago.

BTW, they're talking about levels in the parts per billion range. (Of a product we used to play with in the palm of our hands as kids- if we are old enough)

Edited by impulse

This would have been nice to know LAST WEEK as I just got back from Koh Samed and spent plenty of time swimming in Ao Tuptim.... which I was told was unaffected due to being on the opposite side of the island to the oil spill. Lies, lies, and more lies.

As a regular Samed visitor for the last 10 years, I can only say I never say so much rubbish floating in the sea (coke cups, plastic bags, rope, plastic bags, fishing reels, plastic bags) as I did during this last trip. I can honestly say some random piece of semi-submerged piece of plasctic wrapped itself around my legs on almost every swim I took, regardless of the beach.

It only effects non-native marine mammals like humans??? I love how when this language is translated, it is apparently so easy to create such contradictions of logic. It's not dangerous to fish, but humans shouldn't take a dip. I mean, it's not like the fish aren't in the sea 24 hours a day.

I hope they test the fish and the prawns they catch in the sea there. - and publicise the results whistling.gif

!

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't it oil that PTT spilled? Would I be off base wondering if perhaps the mercury levels were a present existing issue?

From http://deep-c.org/research-areas/geochemistry:

Mercury reaches the sea largely through atmospheric deposition from coal burning plants (among other routes). Once there, it changes into monomethyl mercury (MeHg) and dimethyl mercury (Me2Hg), potent neurotoxins that bioaccumulate in marine organisms — particularly top-level predators such as swordfish, tuna, and sharks — and when eaten, present a real danger to human health. The .. oil spill affected mercury abundance indirectly when microbes degraded oil and dispersants, creating the perfect conditions for transforming mercury to its more toxic methylated forms in coastal and shelf sediments,

Am I missing something ? Most beaches are safe but don't swim because of the mercury content. Safe?

TubTim is one of the places where they dock to bring in sand and gravel, and ship out some of the clean up material. I'm guessing its the run off from the roads from the debris from the clean up trucks that is responsible for the elevated levels of the dissolved heavy metals.

Its a good thing they didnt mention the elevated levels of organicsblink.png

Some of the rain runoff on the heavily populated beaches, do not look clean nor smell cleansick.gif

but the beaches with a less density of resorts, i would trust my kids to swim in.

Good that they are coming out with what appears to be the truth and not just saying everything is lovely.

The fact that they are carrying out ongoing tests and making the findings public is great.

Quite reasonable to assume that there would be some contamination in the worst area of the spill and the chemical use.

Is this the same organisation that says Pattayas beach is safe?