Immigration Checks in Rawai Sai Yuan Residential Housing

McFarang

Earlier this afternoon had 2 gentlemen from Immigration at the house checking Visa etc. Of course all my paperwork was in order but they did take a photo of my passport& me holding it. I have been here 8 years and this is the first time this has happened anybody else had this or am I a special case?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Earlier this afternoon had 2 gentlemen from Immigration at the house checking Visa etc. Of course all my paperwork was in order but they did take a photo of my passport& me holding it. I have been here 8 years and this is the first time this has happened anybody else had this or am I a special case?

I was sitting by the sea today at Panwa cape, 3 police officers pulled up in there pick-up and wanted to take my picture with 2 of the officers, I have no idea why, I said yes and the pictures were taken!

McFarang, what type of visa do you have? I also have read there will be a crack down, as they like to say, here in Phuket by immigration on over staying "tourists." I did my 90 day checkin with immigration as I always do. I really doubt they could ever find my house anyway.

Checks like these are often due to complaints they have received. Do you know of anyone that would benefit from reporting you? Always a good idea to ask. In my experience they don't seem to have any issue with telling you if it is in response to a complaint, but they won't tell you from who.

Edited by NomadJoe

I'd decline the picture unless they had a warrant.

Yes they can have a copy of my passport that has my picture but in no way can they photograph me in public.

Same as when I was pulled over at a checkpoint, they asked to search the car and I agreed but I declined their request to search me.

Nothing they can do. It's illegal to search without permission.

• Like 1

Yes they can have a copy of my passport that has my picture but in no way can they photograph me in public.

Same as when I was pulled over at a checkpoint, they asked to search the car and I agreed but I declined their request to search me.

For what reason would I have to refuse having a picture taken? they were nice people, what do you think they are going to do with the picture?

For what reason would I have to refuse having a picture taken? they were nice people, what do you think they are going to do with the picture?

I'd need to hear their reason for wanting it first. If they are collecting a database of local expats then a copy of my passport is sufficient and I'd decline.

I just don't trust the Thai police and any strange request like a pic posing with them would be declined.

You aren't weirded out by that?

My friends, who have a place just off the Sai Yuan Road, were in their garden yesterday with the gate open. Two uniformed immigration officers appeared at the gate and asked to see their passports. No problem.

But, when they wanted to photograph their passports (and possibly them as well), they wouldn't let them.

I'd need to hear their reason for wanting it first. If they are collecting a database of local expats then a copy of my passport is sufficient and I'd decline.

I just don't trust the Thai police and any strange request like a pic posing with them would be declined.

You aren't weirded out by that?

No I'm not concerned in the least, I have nothing to hide therefor nothing to fear from a request like this, thousands of tourists want there picture taken with police, firemen, soldiers, sailors etc why would I want to cause a potential problem for myself by declining such a request, if I was stopped in my car I would agree to what they wanted as I have nothing to hide, I don't believe in causing problems for myself when I have the correct visa and I have nothing to hide, I was curious why they wanted a picture but to me it was simply being polite to agree, maybe I am now being put through there most wanted computer to see if I am some sort of hit man!!

My friends, who have a place just off the Sai Yuan Road, were in their garden yesterday with the gate open. Two uniformed immigration officers appeared at the gate and asked to see their passports. No problem.

But, when they wanted to photograph their passports (and possibly them as well), they wouldn't let them.

If they were immigration officers why did they refuse, have they something to hide?

Wow can't you figure it out - this is how they prove to their superiors, (and probably the DSI at the moment), that they have actually checked on some foreigners.

Yes, same thing is happening sometimes with business licenses renewel, they want to make a photo of them together with all staff, so they can proof their bosses they are doing what they are supposed to do.

Over the last few years i have had police come to my home 3 different cities asking for a copy of my passport.

No problem, never been asked for a photo.

Every police station in thailand has a dossier of all farangs in the district.

Over the last few years i have had police come to my home 3 different cities asking for a copy of my passport.

No problem, never been asked for a photo.

Every police station in thailand has a dossier of all farangs in the district.

I seriously doubt the latter.

I have a couple of BIB friends. I know for a fact the only reason they take pics of passports, IDs, or anything for that matter is so they can post it online to prove to their superiors they are actually working.....or whatever it is they call it. Their way of thinking is "no photo, no proof". I have never seen them do anything inappropriate or with bad intentions with photos of farangs.

I have a couple of BIB friends. I know for a fact the only reason they take pics of passports, IDs, or anything for that matter is so they can post it online to prove to their superiors they are actually working.....or whatever it is they call it. Their way of thinking is "no photo, no proof". I have never seen them do anything inappropriate or with bad intentions with photos of farangs.

What could they possibly do with photo's that could be considered bad intentions? they were polite and asked politely if they could have a picture, why would say no!!

Immigration was checking foreign businesses in Patong tonight, they have plain-clothes, speak good english and they will take some pictures..

this months they cracking down hard people with no workpermits my source from bib say..

Edited by falkan

It has been confirmed by friends that others in my area are also been asked for passport & visa details 3 more that I know of so there is a crackdown check on visas even in residential areas.

Just curious. What area are you talking about? I would be highly amused by immigration officers if they came to my house when they've had a record of me at my house for almost 8 years. But no problem, I'm totally legal.

This is correct, every immigration office has to do some "special" project every few weeks.

They will make pictures for their record and to show to HQ that they performed those projects.

The projects can be like helping out Farangs with their visas who are in hospital or passport checks at curtain areas etc.

A couple of years ago I was stopped at a police check point & they took a photo through the windshield. I thought it unusual at the time but some of the responses shows it makes some sense

Edited by Valentine

It has been confirmed by friends that others in my area are also been asked for passport & visa details 3 more that I know of so there is a crackdown check on visas even in residential areas.

Just curious. What area are you talking about? I would be highly amused by immigration officers if they came to my house when they've had a record of me at my house for almost 8 years. But no problem, I'm totally legal.

Soi Sai Yuan 10 & 15 so far.

Soi Sai Yuan 10 & 15 so far.

Thanks for the info.

I can also imagine that they take photos of farangs holding their passports to check whether the landlord/hotelier reported this particular farang who they accommodate with immigration as required.

SUS is still legal here.

SUS is still legal here.

SUS? Search under suspicion?

That's fine but they need to declare what they are searching for and I wouldn't allow it unless I had a witness present for the search.

• Like 1