Immigration Checks in Rawai Sai Yuan Residential Housing

McFarang

I'd decline the picture unless they had a warrant.

Yes they can have a copy of my passport that has my picture but in no way can they photograph me in public.

Same as when I was pulled over at a checkpoint, they asked to search the car and I agreed but I declined their request to search me.

Nothing they can do. It's illegal to search without permission.

SUS is still legal here.
SUS? Search under suspicion?

That's fine but they need to declare what they are searching for and I wouldn't allow it unless I had a witness present for the search.

In over 4 years I have never been actually stopped in my car, should I get stopped and they want to search my car and me I will not refuse, I have nothing to hide so why would I refuse, it's good that they are actually doing something, I am thinking the search of the car and person would be for drugs, every time I have come up to a checkpoint I lower my window so they can see who is driving, they see it is a Falang and wave me through!! I am happy to do whatever they ask!!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes they can have a copy of my passport that has my picture but in no way can they photograph me in public.

Same as when I was pulled over at a checkpoint, they asked to search the car and I agreed but I declined their request to search me.

SUS is still legal here.

That's fine but they need to declare what they are searching for and I wouldn't allow it unless I had a witness present for the search.

In over 4 years I have never been actually stopped in my car, should I get stopped and they want to search my car and me I will not refuse, I have nothing to hide so why would I refuse, it's good that they are actually doing something, I am thinking the search of the car and person would be for drugs, every time I have come up to a checkpoint I lower my window so they can see who is driving, they see it is a Falang and wave me through!! I am happy to do whatever they ask!!

What happens if a packet of happy pills gets planted in your car? I think this is the point hansgruber is trying to make is that if they decide to search and come up with something, even if you never have anythinge, who is the judge going to believe, you the innocent foreigner, or the bibs with 50 ya ba pills they "found" in your vehicle?

SUS is still legal here.

And if they persisted you could always whip out your favourite pepper spray huh...cheesy.gif

What happens if a packet of happy pills gets planted in your car? I think this is the point hansgruber is trying to make is that if they decide to search and come up with something, even if you never have anythinge, who is the judge going to believe, you the innocent foreigner, or the bibs with 50 ya ba pills they "found" in your vehicle?

I can understand people being worried about things being planted on them(not me, but this is just over the top paranoia, why don't we all just stay in the house so nothing can happen!! if you or anyone are happy and comfortable to refuse the orders of the police, this in its self throws suspicion your way then that is up to the individual, I am happy to do what they say and be polite whilst it is being done!!
  • Like 1

I have a couple of BIB friends. I know for a fact the only reason they take pics of passports, IDs, or anything for that matter is so they can post it online to prove to their superiors they are actually working.....or whatever it is they call it. Their way of thinking is "no photo, no proof". I have never seen them do anything inappropriate or with bad intentions with photos of farangs.

This is correct, every immigration office has to do some "special" project every few weeks.

They will make pictures for their record and to show to HQ that they performed those projects.

The projects can be like helping out Farangs with their visas who are in hospital or passport checks at curtain areas etc.

Yep. Every time we've been burgled, or had a gun fired at the house, the police have asked for a photo of me posing with an officer.

I can understand people being worried about things being planted on them(not me, but this is just over the top paranoia, why don't we all just stay in the house so nothing can happen!! if you or anyone are happy and comfortable to refuse the orders of the police, this in its self throws suspicion your way then that is up to the individual, I am happy to do what they say and be polite whilst it is being done!!

If I ever get to the point where I am scared and worried about things being planted on my person or in my car it will be time stay in the house and never drive a vehicle again!!

SUS is still legal here.

If this ever happened to me. I would be hitting the video button on my phone and video recording the search.

I just don't trust the BIB here, at all.

Anything I could do to "keep them honest" I would try to do. I would certainly be video recording the search of my wallet and the money that came out of it, and put back into it.

They may back down if you say, "Search no problem, but I video search."

Edited by NamKangMan

If I ever get to the point where I am scared and worried about things being planted on my person or in my car it will be time stay in the house and never drive a vehicle again!!

I think the bigger risk of "planting" is from the Thai girlfriend or wife, usually after property has been bought for them. So, it's possible, the "planting" comes from within.

It's safer for them than having you thrown off a balcony (murdered) and they return to Issan a rich women and retire early.

You pay your way out of gaol with further funds, so the police are happy with the money, and you are deported, so you are out of her life.

Edited by NamKangMan

I think most of the "planting" is done by the Thai girlfriend or wife, usually after property has been bought for them. So, it's possible, the "planting" comes from within.

It's safer for them than having you thrown off a balcony and they return to Issan a rich women and retire early.

You pay your way out of gaol with further funds, so the police are happy, and you are deported, so you are out of her life.

Wow it seems there are many scared people here!!

• Like 1

@ dogpoo

For the 100th time. A little about NKM.

I'm single, by choice.

Never "bought" property here.

Never bought, or started, a bar here, or any other business.

Never sent money to Issan for a sick buffalo.

I do not consume drugs.

Never overstayed a visa.

Do not work here, legally, or illegally.

I pay all my bills on time and do not owe any money here, to anyone.

Due to the above, and more minor things, I have no reason to be "scared" and have minimised my exposure to corruption, rip offs, scams and extortion, although I agree that we all pay for corruption here, one way or another here.

I can assure you, I have a much smaller "target" painted on me than many, many other expats here. That said, as a foreigner, we are a target. I recently mentioned on another thread that I pay 300 baht for The Certificate of Residency from the Immigration Office - they should be free. So, you pay it an accept the corruption/scam against you, because you are a foreigner.

Actually, the only law I break here is I have some copy DVD's in my apartment. So, gaol or pay 20,000 baht for copy DVD is a slight risk. :) :)

Edited by NamKangMan

I have a couple of BIB friends. I know for a fact the only reason they take pics of passports, IDs, or anything for that matter is so they can post it online to prove to their superiors they are actually working.....or whatever it is they call it. Their way of thinking is "no photo, no proof". I have never seen them do anything inappropriate or with bad intentions with photos of farangs.

What could they possibly do with photo's that could be considered bad intentions? they were polite and asked politely if they could have a picture, why would say no!!

What I mean was they use the LINE app so they can show their supervisor what they are doing. I've never seen any pictures of farangs(alive anyway) posted to private Facebook or other social media sites. Most people don't want their photos taken because they don't want to end up on someone else's page. There will be those who claim they are collecting for a large database to eventually take everything and kick us out.... But I'm pretty sure they just use LINE app to prove they are actually doing something.

@ dogpoo

I'm single, by choice.

I do not consume drugs.

Never overstayed a visa.

Due to the above, and more minor things, I have no reason to be "scared" and have minimised my exposure to corruption, rip offs, scams and extortion, although I agree that we all pay for corruption here, one way or another here.

I can assure you, I have a much smaller "target" painted on me than many, many other expats here. That said, as a foreigner, we are a target. I recently mentioned on another thread that I pay 300 baht for The Certificate of Residency from the Immigration Office - they should be free. So, you pay it an accept the corruption/scam against you, because you are a foreigner.

Actually, the only law I break here is I have some copy DVD's in my apartment. So, gaol or pay 20,000 baht for copy DVD is a slight risk. :) :)

That just about sums me up as well, although I did send money for sick buffalo when I first visited Thailand, I learnt quickly and it has never happened again!

The Gov announced that 1289 people on Phuket have had their passports checked as part of a campaign to clean up Phuket.

They stated 77 overstayers have been found and 15 work permit breaches prosecuted.

Things should go back to normal now.

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 2

The Gov announced that 1289 people on Phuket have had their passports checked as part of a campaign to clean up Phuket.

They stated 77 overstayers have been found and 15 work permit breaches prosecuted.

It's good they are earning there money somehow!!

It's good they are earning there money somehow!!

end of this month everything is back to normal..bib goes back to bkk..

• Like 1

Very touchy subject this one..

In my former home country the right to privacy is very important and not often abused..

But as we all know as a foreigner in Thailand we have no rights when it comes right down to it.

Even if we obey all the rules we still have a bulls eye on our back from the immigration officials pulling stunts like this to the street staller ripping us off for a t-shirt..

For sure if I were out on the street or running a business and immigration authority’s question you obey there orders, But while in the privacy of your own home, sure show them your passport but that’s about all you should have to do and it is an invasion of your privacy if they do this. Sorry to say in Thailand we foreigners have no privacy rights.

I wonder what would happen if while gardening at home and the Immigration police showing there muscle, impressing their bosses. Finds that you are 2 or 3 days overstay but you have a dated next day departure ticket already, of which I do many times and pay fine at airport never had a problem doing this. Would they haul you off to the Klink for such a small immigration offense? I wonder,

In the end it will come down to just more Farang money in the pockets of the Thai authority’s

Same same but different,

Don’t you think??

Very touchy subject this one..

In my former home country the right to privacy is very important and not often abused..

But as we all know as a foreigner in Thailand we have no rights when it comes right down to it.

Even if we obey all the rules we still have a bulls eye on our back from the immigration officials pulling stunts like this to the street staller ripping us off for a t-shirt..

For sure if I were out on the street or running a business and immigration authority’s question you obey there orders, But while in the privacy of your own home, sure show them your passport but that’s about all you should have to do and it is an invasion of your privacy if they do this. Sorry to say in Thailand we foreigners have no privacy rights.

I wonder what would happen if while gardening at home and the Immigration police showing there muscle, impressing their bosses. Finds that you are 2 or 3 days overstay but you have a dated next day departure ticket already, of which I do many times and pay fine at airport never had a problem doing this. Would they haul you off to the Klink for such a small immigration offense? I wonder,

In the end it will come down to just more Farang money in the pockets of the Thai authority’s

Same same but different,

Don’t you think??

Overstay is not a small immigration offense and is taken very seriously and i almost can guarantee you that you would be arrested if that happened.

But i agree with you that you can expect some privacy in you home.

In my opinion it would be fine for them to ask for my passport as it is their right to do so.

But people should be fine with not allowing them to enter your property asking them to wait outside the gate while you get your passport and show it to them.

Personally i don't care for them to come into my house as i have nothing to hide and basically being friendly to almost everybody.

Edited by merijn

Police upcountry have been visiting long term residents and regular visitor houses for a few years now. They ask a few details, get a photo of the person if possible and leave. If the person isn't home they ask neighbours for a few details.

Brother in Law Pol Lt told me they get requests every now and then to keep files on foreigners living in their area so they can assist in times of need. He claims there's nothing sinister behind the requests.

With all the flak thats hit Phuket lately I wouldn't be surprised if the cops have had similar requests.

• Like 1

@ dogpoo

I'm single, by choice.

I do not consume drugs.

Never overstayed a visa.

Actually, the only law I break here is I have some copy DVD's in my apartment. So, gaol or pay 20,000 baht for copy DVD is a slight risk. smile.pngsmile.png

That just about sums me up as well, although I did send money for sick buffalo when I first visited Thailand, I learnt quickly and it has never happened again!

It's a formula that has been working well for me. I have never come under any police or immigration notice here, except for being pulled over and asked for my licence, which I produced.

I have no problem with those in business here. All credit to them. I think it would be a mine field and tough going.

Each to their own in relation to "owning" property here. It's something I do not feel secure in, so will never do.

I relation to female companionship, good luck to those in relationships. I do not rule this out for myself in the future, but it will certainly not be with a bar girl looking for an easy life for her and her family and all the BS that comes along with a relationship like that. At the moment, I'm happily single and "play up" whenever I want, with who I want.

Basically, I'm living the "tourist" lifestyle, but living here full time. :)

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

And rightly so. I've had a Thai woman (not bar, so could be anyone) tell me that's exactly what she would do for some revenge on some guy who dissed her. Together with a recent planting by a couple of BiB on two young tourist guys on the now notorious Chalong Bay road.

As to myself, I just tell them to bugger off.

Edited by jpeg

And rightly so. I've had a Thai woman (not bar, so could be anyone) tell me that's exactly what she would do for some revenge on some guy who dissed her. Together with a recent planting by a couple of BiB on two young tourist guys on the now notorious Chalong Bay road.

"Together with a recent planting by a couple of BiB on two young tourist guys on the now notorious Chalong Bay road."

Huh, what is this about?

"As to myself, I just tell them to bugger off."

You mean you have not been checked?

What would she do by the way?

Edited by stevenl

I just read on Phuket Wan that three over stayers were arrested at the PTT gas station on Chao Fa West in Chalong at 10 AM this morning. Maybe time to carry my passport around.

Is there any reason why they can't check your visa status from you passport number that is on your driving/riding licence, via the radio?

Losing you passport, or having it stolen or damaged, would be a real pain.

Is there a link to that story? I don't remember it.

I just read on Phuket Wan that three over stayers were arrested at the PTT gas station on Chao Fa West in Chalong at 10 AM this morning. Maybe time to carry my passport around.

Is there any reason why they can't check your visa status from you passport number that is on your driving/riding licence, via the radio?

Losing you passport, or having it stolen or damaged, would be a real pain.

Since these arrests were today, Saturday and the immigration office isn't open, I'm not sure how they would check by radio. But I suppose it's possible.