If one bank insists on a long term visa or work permit, walk next door and find another one that will. Most banks located in areas that have lot's of expats will open a bank account for you on a tourist passport. You just have to ask

How long a visa? I have Thai wife and daughter. What banks are these??

If you have an extension of stay it is the same as a long term visa, it is just not called a visa since it is issued within Thailand

Your ability to open a bank account will vary from "branch to branch" regardless of the particular Thai bank (i.e, Bkk Bk, SCB, K-bank, etc). You do not need a work permit, but having some type of long term visa/extension of stay usually allows you to open an account and internet banking. But if you are trying to open an account in an area where farangs are few and far in-between it can get challenging. Yeap, it will vary from branch to branch...keep trying.

Personally I've never had any problem in opening a bank account...the first account was a joint account with the Thai wife before we moved to Thailand. But I've opened more since moving to Thailand on my retirement visa/extension of stay (no work permit)...one more joint account with the wife and two other accounts in my name only. All of these accounts have been in Bangkok or a nearby province at different Bangkok Bank branches where farang customers are common...and in some cases a dime a dozen.

I read somewhere on Thai visa it said Kasikorn Suk branch soi 33..

I am same ! I have Thai wife but we will only be staying a month.. Could I open bank account using her parents address? I will be bring my Drivers license and passport and will bring Bank statement from my bank in Australia if that will help? Any suggestions ! Oh ! 1 more thing I will be dressed in smart clothes like suit.. Not sure if that will help me out.. So any ideas and where I stand more of chance than other areas.. All good feedback.. Thanks

"Any American having A bank account in thailand,supposedly the banks are required the us govt if you have over $10,000 in the account."

Can only assume that you meant to say if you have over $10,000 in a thai Bank account they are supposed to notify the US government. Well even if they did, Thai banks do not have you Social Security Number so tracing it to you (especially if your name is "John Smith" etc) would seem to be a big problem for them.The US government DOES required US citizens with foreign bank accounts of more than $10,000 to report them on an annual basis when filing your income tax return ( Treasury Department Form 90-22.1)

I tried in scb in udon and in hua hin. I had account with scb before but it closed as I withdrew my funds to move back to uk. They said I had to have proof of living in the country.

Tenancy agreement, electricity, water bills all help.

Guesthouse business card? Or just bring thai gf/wife with you.

There is a large pinned thread on opening bank account. But the advice so far is pretty good at increasing your chances: "shop" different branches,

try the same branch on a different day,

target branches where a higher % of foreigners frequent,

use a long-stay visa/extension,

bring a thai friend with you,

If there is a website for the bank, and it has a page about account opening requirements, bring it with you: eng and thai copy.

And avoid any prolong debate in the bank even if you are technically right. Calm down, and come back on a differeny day.

"...the 2nd best time to plant a tree is today." Sent from ThaiVisa app (Galaxy Note 2).

Tried to open a new account with Bangkok Bank last week and despite already having some with SCB, I needed the usual (passport, visa) and a Residence Certificate.

The Thai sub manager spoke very good English and said it was because of new government directives.

Tried to open a new account with Bangkok Bank last week and despite already having some with SCB, I needed the usual (passport, visa) and a Residence Certificate.

The Thai sub manager spoke very good English and said it was because of new government directives.

B.S. There are no new government directives......have never heard of a Residence Certificate to open a bank account....to get a drivers license YES, to register a motor vehicle YES, bank account NO

Just because someone can speak English, doesn't mean they know the law

Edited by Langsuan Man

B.S. There are no new government directives......have never heard of a Residence Certificate to open a bank account....to get a drivers license YES, to register a motor vehicle YES, bank account NO

Just because someone can speak English, doesn't mean they know the law

Well the end result is................if I don't have a residence certificate, then he won't open an account for me.

So guess what, I got one and opened an account.

I am satisfied with the outcome whether he spoke Thai, English or Swahili.

• Like 1