Have you become accustomed to spicy food?

britgent

Spicy food does not cause ulcers.

Sent from my GT-S5360B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Did I say that the spicy food caused the ulcer?

A reduced gastric mucosa is by definition the ulcer and while this is not caused by chillies, chillies in your food will increase the levels of gastric acids.

Now you know.

I know crying.gif

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I always found that I liked to eat spicy food but it didn't agree with my stomach and I suffered from the infamous ring of fire! But by choosing foods with only a little bit of spice I found that somewhere along the line I managed to build up a tolerence to it, both the taste and the digestion.

I still find that some foods are too spicy for me but I don't suffer from the digestion issues anymore.

I love spicy food, but when I eat it I get wildly itchy the next day, especially right after having a shower.

The itchyness made my life miserable until I finally figured out what was causing it. Now that I know, I can put up with it..

The worst effect is from powdered onion and/or garlic, but most any spicy food has some effect.

BTW, I was surprised to find that many Thai people don't like, and can't eat spicy foods.

In Asia the food spices are very strong, the tasting is sharp, and the smell is unpleasant, I have never tried to eat this kind of food because top restaurants, hotels, and supermarkets have a sufficient selection of western type cuisine and food.

People that want to eat it can do so, people that do not like this type of food don't have to eat it because sufficient western food is available.

Make your own selection.

I've been eating spicy food since I was a kid. When I was 12 or 13 a buddy and I used to dare each other to eat spicy chillies all the time. In retrospect it was kind of silly, just kids trying to prove how "tough" we were. I've had a pretty good tolerance for spicy food to this day though, so maybe it paid off.

Been eating spicy food everyday for the last 5 years and still have the morning clear out, sometimes more that than once. I can count the number of solid evacuations I've had on one hand. So no, I don't think your stomach ever gets used to it. The Thais I know have the same problem.

I've never had a solid evacuation on either of my hands, nor a liquid one. I try to aim for the bowl.

I have no problem with spicy food, nor do I suffer from the squitts as a result of eating it.

• Like 1

I have been eating Thai food for over 35 years and i can only handle a certain heat. I never have the unpleasant side effects hours later - it is just that i like the different tastes & flavours of Thai food and if it is too spicy my mouth and my taste buds are deadened and there is only the burning sensation. We have owned several Thai restaurants in the past and i ate Thai daily ,and i have gradually tried to increase the heat but too no avail and often i think that too much heat actually disguises mediocre food. After all ,too much heat and it could be curried dogshit i am eating , not that i would want to relish those flavours.

Chilli should be just one of the flavours, not the only flavour.

• Like 1

Chili heads like me are addicted. It has physical effects like coffee. In a good way. A day without chilies is a bad day. Now you know.

There are also health benefits. Vitamin C and increased metabolism.

Yes I know spices and chilies are not the same thing.

That can be frustrating because I love lots of spices AND chilies. Often you just get more chili and not enough extra SPICE. Oh well!

post-37101-0-25137300-1377081806_thumb.g

Edited by Jingthing

Love spicy food and the Thai's love it when you eat spicy food. Southern food is very spicy but are great to clean out the interior. Learning how to make Thai food and must say some recipes are not easy and have many ingredients that must be incorporated in sequence.

People can get used to anything, even live in a cave for 10 years, so I really feel pity on these retarded who keep telling MAI PHET after years living here...

If you cannot get used to something the problem is your brain only, whatever bullshxt people are going to reply. Luckily none of my friends or relatives is so stupid.

• Like 1

I always liked spicy food as a kid... I'm talking about hispanic spicy though.... Asian spicy is a WHOLE different animal though. I find jalapenos not spicy at all... I can pound them, I can easily eat a jar without even thinking about it. Then I will eat some papaya salad and be sweating and snotting while my girlfriend can handle the papaya salad no problem... but then shes sweating from jalapenos... I think Asian spicy is just different. But anyways, I enjoy spicy, I dont know why. I had some problems with a few papaya salads when I first came here, but now no problem. I'll still get a runny nose, but it doesnt stop me. Never did come to think of it.

I read somewhere (sorry can't recall where) about a study done about spiciness preference. There was strong evidence that, among people who enjoy "hot" food, that most like it just short of what becomes (for that individual) TOO hot. I know that is true for me, although what I consider too hot varies from dish to dish. For example, I add only a bit of chili to jok (congee), but am displeased with any yam (Thai salad)that is not much hotter.

I've always enjoyed hot food, but I think I have come to enjoy it hotter over time. Is this experience or age-related?

I'm among the set of people whose intestinal tract is as accepting as his taste buds.

I always liked spicy food as a kid... I'm talking about hispanic spicy though.... Asian spicy is a WHOLE different animal though. I find jalapenos not spicy at all... I can pound them, I can easily eat a jar without even thinking about it. Then I will eat some papaya salad and be sweating and snotting while my girlfriend can handle the papaya salad no problem... but then shes sweating from jalapenos... I think Asian spicy is just different. But anyways, I enjoy spicy, I dont know why. I had some problems with a few papaya salads when I first came here, but now no problem. I'll still get a runny nose, but it doesnt stop me. Never did come to think of it.

Thats strange al chilis in south east asia come from south america introduced in that region around the beginning of the sixteenth century by merchants.Even thai curry paste finds its origins in sri lanka.

Here is a related issue: how do you get the server at a restaurant (not one you frequent) to understand that you want your food with the same level of spiciness as they would produce for a Thai customer?

I've had the experience of being in a restaurant, speaking only Thai, requesting the Thai language menu, and being served dishes that would ordinarily be made somewhat spicy, but without any chili at all?

I've learned one trick that works at least some of the time. I say (in Thai), something like: although I have a Western face, I eat spicy like a Thai person. Still not foolproof.

• Like 1

Ahhh Im mostly talking about the jalapeños and habaneros... I grew up eating them in mexican food. Thai food used those long skinny red and green chilies. .. not sure of the name. From what I can tell the taste is very different. Anyways ive always had an iron stomach for some reason... food and drinks have never bothered me. I never got and bad bowel movements from any of my trips here or after moving here... I eat street food almost every meal too.

Sent from my GT-I9500

I read somewhere (sorry can't recall where) about a study done about spiciness preference. There was strong evidence that, among people who enjoy "hot" food, that most like it just short of what becomes (for that individual) TOO hot. I know that is true for me, although what I consider too hot varies from dish to dish. For example, I add only a bit of chili to jok (congee), but am displeased with any yam (Thai salad)that is not much hotter.

I've always enjoyed hot food, but I think I have come to enjoy it hotter over time. Is this experience or age-related?

I'm among the set of people whose intestinal tract is as accepting as his taste buds.

I spent much of my adult life with Indian families nearby and (to employ a stereotype) it seems all Indian women are fantastic cooks and naturally maternal. So I was often a dinner guest at Indian meals and consumed a lot of food that was blistering hot. Now I find just about anything cooked without chili pepper as a component is bland. And if I eat at a restaurant where they don't know me and I order something like Laab Moo, I make sure it's understood I don't want the dumbed down version meant for tourists.

Not sure if everyone can adjust to it over time, but once it becomes the norm, everything else tastes bland.

• Like 2

The fully ripe chilis here rip into my stomach for some reason. I used to eat vindaloos and extra spicy jalfrezis all the time back in the Uk with no side effects other than a slightly sore derriér, so not sure what the difference is here. I thought capsacin was capsacin was capsacin... even a small amount of the thai chilis make me have violent cramps now :( Annoying as I love spicy food

I've been here for over 7 years and cannot eat spicy food at all without getting cramps and running to the toilet most of the day. Actually I don't eat Issan food at all as it's too spicy, tastes terrible.and I don't like rice. Thank goodness for Tescoe and M acro.