Thai court jails ex-cop for murder of Canadian tourist Leo Del Pinto

webfact

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, yes, a numnut with a gun really is bad news for all. sad.png

So is a "numnut" with a club. Notice he later clubbed his pregnant wife to death.

On the other hand, a good citizen or police officer with a gun might just save your life.

It's not the weapons, even in the hands of police.

It's about a killer who just happened to be a police officer.

I'm not so sure the NRA philosophy fits in very well in this part of the world where a killer who just happens to be a policeman or a good citizen who happens to own a gun and goes "numnut", for no good reason, are both likely to commit murder.

Edited by bhatmasterson

Sadly, many bullies become police in many countries. The punishment should be harder for them because of the position they hold, not only they don't serve but they abuse their authority and impunity.

I totally agree with this. Where someone is afforded a privileged duty of care to the public, is also paid for by the public and offends

using their position. Double the sentence.

The public should decide.

This was and according to the guiding principal of most Western governments, where juries had their say.

Not only regarding the guilt or innocence of the accused, but the relevance of the law and the enforcement of

a suitable sentence.

The bottom line is he's been jailed for nearly 40 years. Congratulations to his family for working so hard to see this.

Let's just hope he serves every single day.

Not yet he hasn't, and I am thinking he will never fulfil your hopes.

You see one of the reasons not to intervene on anything in Thailand?

Except it was the cop that intervened. And yes it may be best to always look away, but for some in some cases it is difficult to ignore when someone is getting hurt. It would bee for me. I am not the type to walk by while someone suffers. Not the way I was raised and rather live and die with honor then die with indifference.

Frikken story changes yet again. That is what, the 7th DIFFERENT version of the event I've seen (at least) since it happened ?

Makes you wonder why he suddenly changed his plea, knowing full well what the resulting sentence would likely be. He must have an "out" set up or something.

Accepting the charge gives him an automatic 50% reduction in his jail time. with annual cuts and the possible 'assistance' from the prison with his grading he won't do 10 years.

You see one of the reasons not to intervene on anything in Thailand?

agree ...in patts 15 or so yrs back my neighbour in the next room the diana inn ...a dutchman was kicked half to death ..on his first day in thailand ...checked in and went for a stroll ...came across an argument ..guy was abusing a woman and started shaking her ..he tried to restrain him and both male and female turned on him ... knocked to the ground and repeatedly kicked ..luckily for him an employee of the hotel walking home who had checked him in ..was able to get them to stop ...he was a mess two weeks in hospital ...i would never interfere in disputes here

Frikken story changes yet again. That is what, the 7th DIFFERENT version of the event I've seen (at least) since it happened ?

Makes you wonder why he suddenly changed his plea, knowing full well what the resulting sentence would likely be. He must have an "out" set up or something.

Yea, this is complete bull. Making it sound like he was just trying to do a good deed.

Is this normal? 37 years for murder... A farang at that... Seems rather 'harsh'.

clap2.gifclap2.gif Now at least the parents can move on and finish their grieving.

Total BS!! bah.gif

I lost a family member to a murderer...[not in thailand] you never, ever finish your grieving and/or move on.

Hard enough losing a loved one to natural causes or accident, but by the hand of another human being takes it to another lever..believe me!!

Every day, but especially birthdays, deathday, christmas,other special days.. etc, etc you are thinking and missing and grieving...i think this will be forever..the memories linger!.

Edited by andreandre

Hmmm, yes, a numnut with a gun really is bad news for all. sad.png

YEP - T.I.T. where no one teaches gun safety. The US is rapidly heading in the same direction, as the current generation has no concept of firearm safety and just 40 years ago, it was standard for everyone to learn.

OR from another point of view - Admiral Yamamoto (WWII) "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."

There are excellent reasons to have the citizenry allowed guns and trained in their use - refer to Switzerland, where every adult male is armed by the government.

Neither of these statements are true.

One would think that a cop might not be the most popular guy in a Thai prison with a few thousand fellow inmates who HATE cops.

My guess is he will be killed in a prison "fight" unless he has the funds to pay for some serious protection.

Money!!!

Seriously! People pay a lot of money and/or have lofty connections for the opportunity to join the police in Thailand. It's not seen as a job -- it's seen as a business opportunity. That's why they rarely do do any actual police work. Making a contribution to society and believing justice should be served is not what they joined the force for. It's the money!

It may take money to move up the ranks, but not all Thai police are as you describe. The corruption comes where the money exists, and that includes most of the tourist centers.

Why cannot the ex-cop be machine gunned like in the film "The Bangkok Hilton"?

Surely a clip of bullets costs less than feeding and housing him for forty years. He has already killed at least twice and there may be other killings that we don't know about.

The bottom line is he's been jailed for nearly 40 years. Congratulations to his family for working so hard to see this.

Let's just hope he serves every single day.

I hope so too but i hear sentences get reduced a lot in Thai jails on the kings birthday and such so in reality I doubt he will serve half of it.

Please correct me if I am wrong but I often see high sentences and then it gets reduced a lot.

Most Thai prisoners receive a 50% reduction on the king' s birthday, but does anybody know if this can happen more than once during their sentence. First year 50%, then another 50% the following year, and so on, if this is so, it would mean he could be out in just a few years.

Does this mean that he wasn't even in jail after murdering his pregnant wife? Out on bail for that? If he ever serves a day in jail I will donate both of my testicles to the pitbull down the lane.

Are you sure they will be big enough. Ha, Ha

You will have to excuse me for being pessimist her, but the article says the cop was sentenced and this being Thailand. That doesnot mean he is in prison at this time, only that he is sentenced. He may be out walking around as free man the rest of his life till he shows up to do prison time. The whole thing could just a way to push the whole matter to rest and keep face for all concerned.

So tragic.
He murder first Leo Del Pinto and wounded his girlfriend.
Then he got out from prison coz from granted bail.
Later on he killed then his wife.
From 2008 to 2013 - five years - for justice.
This does not reflect well on the judiciary system to protect the population from crazy murderers.

Edited by tomacht8