Metal Sheet Rain Gutters

LawrenceN

We're adding some rain gutters to a part of our house. We plan to use a guy who's done similar jobs for us in the past. He did a big job two years ago for a reasonable price, then a smaller job for almost the same price. He said he has switched to better better materials. The first job, he said, was using galvanized gutters, the second was using "metal sheet." For the pending job, he quotes only metal sheet, saying it doesn't rust and paint sticks better. When I google "metal sheet" I find a bunch of vendors for it in Thailand, but nothing really explaining the difference between metal sheet and galvanized. I'm not really sure if "metal sheet" is a synonym for "farang rate."

Anybody know?

Our gutters aren't galvanised and need replacing due to rust after 10 years. Actually I am thinking about buying a plastic kit and do it myself. There seem to be two qualities of sheet metal, one is very feeble.

A “metal sheet” is what they cut the material from to form the gutter profile.

The “metal sheet” is usually made of a “mild steel”. If this was not coated then it would start to rust very quickly – even quicker if near the sea.

To protect the “mild steel” they coat it with zinc (usually in a hot dip process but that does not matter) which can stop (or slow down) the rusting.

Where “metal sheet” can fall down it any unprotected surfaces i.e. where the sheet is cut and where they are joined. Joined areas : if the “galvanised steel” is heated to a high temperature the galvanise can break down leaving the “mild steel” exposed to the elements. Only way around this is to paint over the joint using the correct paints.

Another type of “metal sheet” is “stainless steel”. The material is more expensive than “metal sheet” but has the advantage of not rusting – depending on the grade used. Note, some “stainless steel” can rust (oxidise).

Again with this material the joint areas need to be protected as many times the material is joined by welding (fusing the material together unlike “mild steel” which is commonly joined by solder or brazing). In welding the temperature may well do away with the elements needed to stop rust – typically Chromium.

There ends todays sermon – sorry I got carried away ……………..

• Like 1

What ever you do...don't forget to bird proof it or it will get clogged up with bird nest straw and crap and not work!  I just went through this crap and am here to tell you....bird proof it!  pg

With some old CDs ha

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app