Briton jailed for fake bomb detectors

webfact

If this guy didn't have access to corrupt, idiotic and gullible military personal in banana republics he would never have got as far as he did. Can't blame someone entirely for selling a hoax, it wasn't very elaborate or deceptive, anyone with half a brain would have worked out there's nothing to them and there's no consistent proof of success.

There seem to be a lot of people overlooking how he managed to persuade so many "influential people" to buy his gizmos.

I can take a wild guess, and it isn't that they were gullible.

So he gave everyone of them a backhander ?

I find that hard to believe,if that's the case then these influential people should be brought to justice just like the seller.

Not going to happen. Because they're "influential people". "Influential people" rarely get brought to justice.

biggrin.png

And what becomes of the current stock in Thailand? And the generals that approved the purchase and put at risk thousands of soldiers? And the khunying that "tested" the devices and gave her green light?

Nobody gives a shit?

You live in Thailand? Get used to the fact that over here people of certain ranks hardly get arrested for their wrongdoings .

They guy should have set up his enterprise with a 51/49 partner in LOS and he would be sipping on a drink on a tropical island nowadays before he gets ripped off and kicked out of a successful business by his partner.

After release from prison, he may get asylum in Nigeria, who knows?

I'd like to see a prominent journalist or tv anchor like SORAYUT ask these questions on NATIONAL TV. No need to point fingers. Stay impartial and ask the goddamned questions!

In your dreams!

Mexico and Thailand, it's biggest customers. Hmmm, the populace in both countries believe indelibly in superstition. Their hocus pocus beliefs intertwine with how their religions manifest. That partly explains being so thoroughly duped, ....but why did they pay such ridiculous prices? Perhaps its the same mentality, common in most countries, that a government must spend inordinate amounts on things that ordinary people can buy much cheaper. The Bt.75,000 digital clocks bought by PT's budget are a recent example.

this man brought great shame on the Thai military and made them look like professional fools and causing them to lose credibility internationally

Well! that's news to me. I really did'nt think that they ever had any credibility whatsoever. And anybody who fell for that scam surely are one of two things, either Fools or Very Corrupt, although i tend to think both!

In the 80's the MOD procured a hand held explosive vapour detector known as "PD 4" & issued it to front line troops. It proved about as much use as a wingmirror on a submarine. In the end the troops found imaginative uses for it, inc using it as a breathalyzer on drink-drivers as it would bleep & make them think they were in the sh1t....

Dodgy procurement isn't unique to SE Asia although hopefully it's a little less rife.

Edited by evadgib