Fatal Motorcycle Accident Near Pattaya Claims One Life

2. 54

Wine In Checked Baggage

3. 6

Words sentences that are offensive

4. 30

Tobbaco

5. 14

Why Does Kamala Harris Disrespect Minorities by Imitating their Accents.?

6. 2

Pickup Truck Driver Falls Asleep, Crashes into 2 Motorcycles, Leaving 1 Dead & 1 Injured

7. 509

Pattaya Bar/Go-Go Death Watch

8. 25

Honeymoon Period Over for Kamala Harris Polls Show Tight Race

9. 2

Fatal Motorcycle Accident Near Pattaya Claims One Life

10. 25

Honeymoon Period Over for Kamala Harris Polls Show Tight Race

11. 105

Foreign Tour Operators Flood Phuket, Taking Jobs from Locals

12. 509

Pattaya Bar/Go-Go Death Watch

13. 1,007

Its Happening - Law to Tax Overseas Income Now in Progress

Thinking of purchasing a telescope

avander

Hi all,

I am moving to the area (Pattaya) and while never getting into stargazing am thinking of purchasing a maksutov-cassegrain telescope and giving it a go. We have a semi-open rooftop with views over both Pattaya and Jomtien coast (from about 4kms).

I have done a little research on the maksutov-cassegrain type and it appears they may be a good cross over for both terrestrial and "near" space observation (none of the obvious innuendo required ...thx). wink.png

I have looked at new pricing in Australia and for an "entry level" 90mm Saxon brand 90125AZ3 I would be up for AU $430 delivered or about 12,500B at todays rates.

A few questions:

- Are there any local new / 2nd hand suppliers in the Pattaya/Chon Buri area and if so, are they expensive? As this is my first purchase and not sure where it may go I would prefer a good 2nd hand unit at a cheaper price.

- Secondly, does anyone have any experience with stargazing in the area who can make any recommendations or suggestions on a suitable piece of equipment for this? Also, is it worthwhile or too much light or pollution to get any reasonable stargazing done?

I am interested in views of the local area and while not interested in massive distance viewing I am also interested in relatively near Earth objects such as the moon, Mars or Venus etc.

rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

There is a shop set up in Central Festival which sells optics, including telescopes, but I have no idea of the quality or pricing. It is located right outside the SuperSports store.

There is also a retailer in Bangkok who carries a range of telescopes, primarily Celestron, but I don't know enough about them to say whether their pricing is competitive: http://www.tmktrading.co.th/product-category.php?catid=5

You wont be seeing much here due to the almost constant haze/cloud, not to mention the light pollution. When I walk out of my condo at night I can hardly ever see any stars, and often I cant even see the moon clearly if it is out. Back in Europe the skies were crystal clear in comparison.

If you are on the beach you wont get much smog or exhaust pollution due to the prevailing onshore wind, so that's a good thing. But from what you say you may be 4km inland and if so you will probably be getting quite a lot.

There's a reason they put observatories on the tops of mountains.

Light pollution,exhaust pollution. There is a place and time for everything. But stargazing in Pattaya?

As long as you are in Pattaya, just focus on the twinkling in the eyes of the ladies. The twinkling of the stars themselves are better visible in your home-country.

While "twinkling" around in Pattaya, don't forget to take along your wallet and leave the telescope at home.

Cheers.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Seems like starting my stargazing will have to wait until I am either on a mountain somewhere while also doing the navel gazing or when I return to the clear skies of Oz.

While the virtual 'tours' may be ok I prefer some reality when I can get it. We all know it's out there but nothing like seeing for yourself if at all possible.

• 2 months later...

Hi, if you interested I have a Meade Maksutov 7" with goto autostar II for sale. I live in Phuket.

Going for a 90mm will satisfy you only for a short time and you wished you had taken a larger aperture.

Hi Astro,

Thanks for the offer. I have since bought a Celestron Nexstar 4SE which is 100mm aperture so hope this keeps us interested for longer.

Cheers