How genuine, really, is the Thai smile? Has your view of this chance since you first arrived?

baffledbaboon

How genuine is a farang smile ?........................xhuh.png.pagespeed.ic.6VcCaNwNXg.png ............................coffee1.gif

you surely wont get one from me whe i am embarrassed, afraid, angry, upset, or just did something stupid...

so, chances a little brighter than when i smile, it probably is genuine.

sure, i dont smile all then time.

How genuine is a farang smile ?........................xhuh.png.pagespeed.ic.6VcCaNwNXg.png ............................coffee1.gif

you surely wont get one from me whe i am embarrassed, afraid, angry, upset, or just did something stupid...

so, chances a little brighter than when i smile, it probably is genuine.

sure, i dont smile all then time.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, sounds like in your case we must wait for Christmas eh....................................laugh.png

From stickmanbangkok.com:

"The Thai smile itself needs some description. Thais will frequently smile at all manner of situations, but the Thai smile should not be interpreted the same way you interpret smiling in the West. In the West if someone smiles it usually means they are happy or pleased about something. That may be the meaning in Thailand, but it is just as likely something different. Thais may smile as a form of apology. They might smile if they are asked a question to which they do not know the answer. They might smile in an attempt to diffuse a situation. Most importantly, a smile in Thailand does not necessarily mean the same as a smile on the West. Thais do however look favourably upon people who smile frequently and often. So smile as much as you can! Thailand is a rather litigious society, with many disputes not necessarily solved in court, but rather in a police station and I have sometimes wondered if one of the reasons Thai people smile so much is so as to not piss off others!

In addition, the excellent book "How to Work with Thais" (sorry, author escapes me; but can be found at most English-language Bangkok bookstores) gives 16 possible meanings for the Thai smile.

"The Thai smile itself needs some description. Thais will frequently smile at all manner of situations, but the Thai smile should not be interpreted the same way you interpret smiling in the West. In the West if someone smiles it usually means they are happy or pleased about something. That may be the meaning in Thailand, but it is just as likely something different. Thais may smile as a form of apology. They might smile if they are asked a question to which they do not know the answer. They might smile in an attempt to diffuse a situation. Most importantly, a smile in Thailand does not necessarily mean the same as a smile on the West. Thais do however look favourably upon people who smile frequently and often. So smile as much as you can! Thailand is a rather litigious society, with many disputes not necessarily solved in court, but rather in a police station and I have sometimes wondered if one of the reasons Thai people smile so much is so as to not piss off others!

In addition, the excellent book "How to Work with Thais" (sorry, author escapes me; but can be found at most English-language Bangkok bookstores) gives 16 possible meanings for the Thai smile.

But, how many for a farang smile ? smile.png

We're waiting for someone to write the book, "How to Work with Farangs" wink.png

We're waiting for someone to write the book, "How to Work with Farangs" wink.png

Or ''How to get a farang tooooooooooooo smile''.................smile.png

I'd say it has changed due to the huge increase in farang living here.

Thai attitudes toward us has changed. 20 years ago, we were still welcome but now we are too many and a threat.

Last night when at a restaurant I took my youngest daughter to the toilet at the back and near someone's house. When leaving the toilets, the little kids, about 4-8, started shouting "farang auk pai". My daughter was upset and I was surprised. Never heard this directed at myself in 20 years.

It also has to do with my attitudes to Thais - but there's only so many years that one can be the "smiling, ignorant, "sabai dee mai" farang

Isn`t this sort of scenario the same as in all countries?

Back in the Jurassic period when I was in my teens, the first South Asians began arriving into England. At first they were regarded as a novelty, mostly owners and workers in Indian restaurants, and quite respected. Then during the 1970s after the Asians were thrown out of Uganda, the Indians began coming in on mass and suddenly the whole perception of them changed for the worse and the rest is history.

This is unfortunately human nature, and why i cannot see any benefits of large scale exodus of Westerners of little wealth from Farangland into Thailand to the expats already living here.

Yes I suppose there are similarities.

Also in the 70's in the Uk there were programs on tv such as 'love thy neighbour, where words like 'nig nog, gollywog, etc were acceptable.

Of course now they are insulting.

Also terms like Pakki, were normal.

I mention this as the term 'farang' was once neutral but now is insulting in many situations.

Thai attitudes toward us has changed. 20 years ago, we were still welcome but now we are too many and a threat.

Last night when at a restaurant I took my youngest daughter to the toilet at the back and near someone's house. When leaving the toilets, the little kids, about 4-8, started shouting "farang auk pai". My daughter was upset and I was surprised. Never heard this directed at myself in 20 years.

It also has to do with my attitudes to Thais - but there's only so many years that one can be the "smiling, ignorant, "sabai dee mai" farang

Back in the Jurassic period when I was in my teens, the first South Asians began arriving into England. At first they were regarded as a novelty, mostly owners and workers in Indian restaurants, and quite respected. Then during the 1970s after the Asians were thrown out of Uganda, the Indians began coming in on mass and suddenly the whole perception of them changed for the worse and the rest is history.

This is unfortunately human nature, and why i cannot see any benefits of large scale exodus of Westerners of little wealth from Farangland into Thailand to the expats already living here.

Also in the 70's in the Uk there were programs on tv such as 'love thy neighbour, where words like 'nig nog, gollywog, etc were acceptable.

I mention this as the term 'farang' was once neutral but now is insulting in many situations.

Strange that they can call me a Brit.

A smile is just a smile, faked or real. What really matters is the actions they and you do. Most days of the week I visit a restaurant that is only opened because the day staff are there preparing for the evening. I go there and usually the beer and ice is available, sometimes not. If it is not the old man who works there will tell me to wait with Thai and hand signals as he leaves on his bike. Within 5 minutes he is back and has beer and the ice and serves me. He does not have to do this as they are not really open yet but he does. We sometimes chat and joke and I will help him if the need arises as I am in the restaurant, we have an understanding. To answer the OP's question everyone smiles when they are in a job they have to or situation but do they really mean it? Usually not many; but you will meet quite a few that will go that extra mile that are real. I feel blessed when my students and friends smile and laugh, I am also there when they are sad. Everyone is human and have their own problems. Just keep a smile on your face and good intentions in your heart and people you meet will see this and show the same back.

Strange really, because back in the 1970s I watched this comedy series with my Dad and can remember we used to laugh our heads off at this. It was the general attitudes and opinions of those times.

Now watching this clip for the first time since the 1970s, I have realised how cringe worthy this is and very embarrassing to watch and hear. And I`m probably not alone with my feelings regarding some of these so-called British comedy series from the 1960s and 1970s, which means attitudes towards bigotry and racism have changed for the better, even we we haven`t realised the fact that they have.

• Like 1

I still find it hard t accept that anyone who makes it to 40+ actually believes the 'hansum man' spiel. I know many who get off the plane aren't Rhodes Scholars, but every hotel room I've ever been in has had a mirror ..... Perhaps they manage to find one without same ?

Mirror mirror, on the wall.

Who'se the fairest of them all.

post-163165-0-52897100-1377512612_thumb.

• 2 weeks later...

Disagree. I believe it still depends mostly on the circumstance and tone of voice. Very similar to "gaijin" in Japan, and how the word "foreigner" is used in English-speaking countries. Don't get too sensitive about the term, or you might be looking for trouble where trouble isn't.

Since I originate from the un-smiling UK, I rather enjoy the Thai smile.

However, I'm aware that there is frequently another agenda.

Thai smile 1:- I have picked you out as a mark, and you are about to get shafted.

Thai smile 2:- You are in the process of being shafted.

Thai smile 3:- I have successfully shafted you.

Although, sometimes it can just be wind.

How genuine, really, is the Thai smile? Really OP, 10 years and you ask...........

It is not the smile that I think is in question here, but 10 years in and you can not see that a Thai smile comes in many forms. In fact it is the most genuine thing there is, they can not hide what they feel or think.....From a nice to see you smile...To a eat my sh&t one.....

Try walking down the street smiling. Not at anyone but looking straight forward with your head held high just smiling. You will be surprised at the Thai reactions. A lot of the time they look at me and start smiling back. Just because it seems like the normal thing to do. Back home people would think there was something wrong with me if I walked around smiling for no particular reason.

Edited by lapd