Legal question about journalists in Thailand

For lack of a forum for legal matters, I post the question here.

There are many journalists in Thailand, local journalists, foreign correspondents which I suppose to have a work permit.

How does journalism exactly work in Thailand?

Are foreign journalists allowed to write for local papers?

Is there something like a press ID for journalists? locals? foreigners?

Yes, foreigners can write for local papers and yes, you need a press card from the Public Relations Card and need to be accredited to a news organisation. You will find useful information for on the Foreign Correspondents Club of Thailand website at the bottom of this page https://www.fccthai.com/links.html .

Thanks for the information and the useful link!

How would one proceed to start a new news agency and publish online news?

Is it possible to just declare oneself a journalist and apply for a press card?

Yes, foreigners can write for local papers and yes, you need a press card from the Public Relations Card and need to be accredited to a news organisation. You will find useful information for on the Foreign Correspondents Club of Thailand website at the bottom of this page https://www.fccthai.com/links.html .

Thanks for the information and the useful link!

The process to obtain a Press card is provided in the link from Arkady. Foreigners are not permitted to own media companies in Thailand, so you would need to establish a majority Thai owned company

As simple1 correctly said, foreigners cannot own media companies in Thailand and a majority Thai-owned company needs to be established.

You cannot apply for a press card (nor obtain one) just by "declaring yourself" a journalist. As a foreign journalist or correspondent you'll need the backing of a foreign media organization (e.g. news agency, newspaper or magazine publishing company, TV station, radio station, etc.). You'll then need to get endorsed by the Foreign Ministry's Department of Information. That process not only requires you to submit elaborate documentation (including published work samples credited to your name as the writer/author/producer/etc.!), but it's also rather lengthy, because thorough background checks will be conducted. The Thai Embassy in the country where your sponsoring media company is supposedly based will contact them and inquire whether they actually know you, why they have sent you to Thailand and for what purpose.

The process is a little easier if you're employed by a local media company.

I am not a journalist myself but know a few free lance journalists in Thailand. They are all experienced hacks who have worked as staffers for well known news agencies or media in Thailand like AP or the FT and I think they get one of their regular clients to give them accreditation. I don't think this is a very easy field for inexperienced journos to break into and the regulatory hurdles for news agencies are fairly rigorous. It's probably easiest to try to find a job as a journalist with a local English language publication first before going freelance or better still get posted here by a wire service.