Kanchanaburi

55Jay

Looking at this for our next road trip get-away next month (September '13). BKK and Patts are well worn paths, need something different.

Keen to stay on the river and do some kayaking but wondering if, during the rain season, this is not advisable or available - stronger currents, etc? I've seen some travel site videos showing tourists zipping around on jet skis, hope there's less of that this time of year?

Tourist web sites are ok to get an outline, but do appreciate local/resident info if it's available.

B/R,

J

Stayed at this place earlier this year. The standard rooms are very small (you're better off booking a suite) but the location on the river is breath taking and the staff service and welcome would put most major 5 star properties to shame ( and I speak as somebody who used to work for one of the biggies). Plus the bed is supremely comfortable. It's a 5 minute stroll to the infamous bridge and the staff can arrange kayaking for you.

http://www.uhotelsresorts.com/uinchantreekanchanaburi/

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g297924-d1830465-Reviews-U_Inchantree_Kanchanaburi-Kanchanaburi_Kanchanaburi_Province.html

• Like 2

We stayed right on the river a few years ago and had to check out after our first night. The disco boats blast out music all night long. Not sure where they start and stop, but if you stay right on the river, make sure you are not on their route.

Other than that, Kanchanburi is a beautiful place to check out. Plenty of things to do and see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HniLk9RM8XI

Stayed at this place earlier this year. The standard rooms are very small (you're better off booking a suite) but the location on the river is breath taking and the staff service and welcome would put most major 5 star properties to shame ( and I speak as somebody who used to work for one of the biggies). Plus the bed is supremely comfortable. It's a 5 minute stroll to the infamous bridge and the staff can arrange kayaking for you.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g297924-d1830465-Reviews-U_Inchantree_Kanchanaburi-Kanchanaburi_Kanchanaburi_Province.html

thank you for that link mca uhotel that looks lovely will have some of that later this year or is there a time when not to go there thank you..

• Like 1

thank you for that link mca uhotel that looks lovely will have some of that later this year or is there a time when not to go there thank you..

I reckon round about Xmas time would be a lovely time to stay there.

• Like 1

All great responses, thanks very much. I have checked out the links, and done more reading on Trip Adv, Agoda, etc.

Funny, I remember a mate of mine stayed on a river years ago and mentioned loud disco/party boats at night. Read similar comments today on Trip Advisor, seems the U hotel is within the disco boat zone but overall, the reviews are good.
We'll book in there for the first day or two and see how things go.

Galoubet, thanks for your post, very happy to read resident's info/perspective. GPS coors great too. We'll be driving down & over from Korat, will jot them down, thanks again.

B/R All,

J

We stayed right on the river a few years ago and had to check out after our first night. The disco boats blast out music all night long. Not sure where they start and stop, but if you stay right on the river, make sure you are not on their route.

Other than that, Kanchanburi is a beautiful place to check out. Plenty of things to do and see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HniLk9RM8XI

See ^ comment, and thank you very much for the YT vid about this.

J

All great responses, thanks very much. I have checked out the links, and done more reading on Trip Adv, Agoda, etc.

Funny, I remember a mate of mine stayed on a river years ago and mentioned loud disco/party boats at night. Read similar comments today on Trip Advisor, seems the U hotel is within the disco boat zone but overall, the reviews are good.

Galoubet, thanks for your post, very happy to read resident's info/perspective. GPS coors great too. We'll be driving down & over from Korat, will jot them down, thanks again.

B/R All,

J

A pleasure. Noise is an ever present menace in Thailand as I am sure you are aware. I find it amazingly peaceful when I return to London! Several large hotels in Kan have thumping discos that ruin any chance of sleep. But the big problem for which many have sought a solution for decades are the nighttime disco boats. I nearly bought a riverside house opposite the Chong Kai War Cemetery (N14.00250 E99.51184). The owners said they wanted to sell because of the location (the spirits or "phii") but I now know it was because of the noise. No peace for the poor deceased allied soldiers despite a sign on the river landing stage requesting it. My home now is several hundred metres from the Kwae Yai river but still the noise at night, particularly at weekends, means I need earplugs to get to sleep. The base noise from the discos penetrates everything even earplugs (you can see why the military wanted to use high volume base noise as a weapon!). It drives me quite scatty.

One of the best views near Kan town is from the Wat Khao Pun temple overlooking the Mae Nam Kwae Noi (N14.00014 E99.50352) where you will undoubtedly see (and hear!) many disco barges. There are nice limestone caves too at the temple.

B/R All,

J

trip advisor they got a bad time from some agency 3/4 years ago about they was fixing good reviews for company's paying for advertising

In the dozen weekends I've spent on the river in the past 2 years, I have only noticed the late night loud noises once or twice. Maybe they just don't wake me up any more, or maybe I've gotten immune to the din of loud music from living in Bangkok..

From a few longtail boat rides, it seems the loud karaoke barges get hauled up the other part of the river, away from the tourist strip by the bridge. I see them parked in rather deserted stretches of the river, tunes pounding out harmlessly. And the vast majority seem to be moored most nights because they built way too many.

For another great view from another temple, point your GPS to: 13 57 14.43 x 99 36 18.37. A little further from town, but a great view of hundreds of sq km of rice fields rimmed by mountains in the distance.

Thanks, galoubet for the tips and GPS coordinates!

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

Took some friends up there not long back and stayed at Tara B&B on the main tourist soi.

It is on a small branch of the river so no noise, great rooms and beds, food if you want it, and they have raft house rooms if you want them.

Go to the cemetery and the Thailand Burma railway Centre, emotional stuff.

Found the museum at the bridge to be unkept and wouldn't go there again.

Didn't think much of the tiger temple and would not go back

Spent a couple of nights at Erawan NP, good place in the evening and early morning before all the tourists start to arrive.

Went up to Sanklaburi did a boat and elephant trek with P Guest house, well worth it, not the usual round the block tourist elephant thing but a long tail boat ride on the lake then an elephant ride for about an hour up a small river then back down on bamboo rafts.

Went up to 3 Pagodas Pass on a song tau, not much there but if you have never been on one of them you should do it.

• Like 2

We have just stayed at Good Times Resort. Booked it because of its excellent reviews. The reviews were accurate ... Booking.com have it. The couple that own it are really helpful and speak good English.

It's all new there and the bathrooms are an amazing size.

• Like 1

In the dozen weekends I've spent on the river in the past 2 years, I have only noticed the late night loud noises once or twice. Maybe they just don't wake me up any more, or maybe I've gotten immune to the din of loud music from living in Bangkok..

From a few longtail boat rides, it seems the loud karaoke barges get hauled up the other part of the river, away from the tourist strip by the bridge. I see them parked in rather deserted stretches of the river, tunes pounding out harmlessly. And the vast majority seem to be moored most nights because they built way too many.

For another great view from another temple, point your GPS to: 13 57 14.43 x 99 36 18.37. A little further from town, but a great view of hundreds of sq km of rice fields rimmed by mountains in the distance.

When I stayed at the U I spent an evening at their terrace over a few drinks and I suppose over the space of 3 hours about 4 party boats went past. It certainly wasn't a non-stop parade and definitely not disturbing unless you're a really fussy bugger. As impulse said the party boats tend to get hauled in the opposite direction into the wide part of the river then moor up and have a party. They don't usually come the U side of the bridge.

B/R All,

J

A pleasure. Noise is an ever present menace in Thailand as I am sure you are aware. I find it amazingly peaceful when I return to London! Several large hotels in Kan have thumping discos that ruin any chance of sleep. But the big problem for which many have sought a solution for decades are the nighttime disco boats. I nearly bought a riverside house opposite the Chong Kai War Cemetery (N14.00250 E99.51184). The owners said they wanted to sell because of the location (the spirits or "phii") but I now know it was because of the noise. No peace for the poor deceased allied soldiers despite a sign on the river landing stage requesting it. My home now is several hundred metres from the Kwae Yai river but still the noise at night, particularly at weekends, means I need earplugs to get to sleep. The base noise from the discos penetrates everything even earplugs (you can see why the military wanted to use high volume base noise as a weapon!). It drives me quite scatty.

One of the best views near Kan town is from the Wat Khao Pun temple overlooking the Mae Nam Kwae Noi (N14.00014 E99.50352) where you will undoubtedly see (and hear!) many disco barges. There are nice limestone caves too at the temple.

Indeed, and I know exactly what you mean regarding bass on concrete/brick. Ironic, it is much quieter at my mate's moo ban in East Pattaya than, at times, where we live in a smallish town outside Korat. blink.png

Looking forward to the change of scenery, nice kayak/canoe trip, and whatever else comes up. Again, think we'll give the U a go first night, then see where the breeze takes us. Cheers, J.

When I stayed at the U I spent an evening at their terrace over a few drinks and I suppose over the space of 3 hours about 4 party boats went past. It certainly wasn't a non-stop parade and definitely not disturbing unless you're a really fussy bugger. As impulse said the party boats tend to get hauled in the opposite direction into the wide part of the river then moor up and have a party. They don't usually come the U side of the bridge.

Roger, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again to all for the suggestions and info. Left Kan yesterday, after 5 days with kayking, fishing, driving around exploring the area of simply standing in the pool with a beer enjoying the surrounds at U Inchantree. Was a great change of pace and will go back again.

Cheers,

J

• Like 1

I have a house and family in Kan. Moved permanently from Sriracha a couple of years ago into what was our holiday home. Best decision I made. Kan is a world apart from Bangkok or the more notorious tourist resorts. It's not quite as it was when I first came here 30 years ago but it hasn't changed as much as Sriracha for example.

You can rent rooms on the river very cheaply as fellow posters have pointed out. But if you want to stay a whole month you can get these rooms for just 3000 baht. A biking friend stayed there last winter for a month. He was very happy. I prefer a bit "posher" hotel and I used to stay at the RS Hotel (GPS N14.05878 E99.50061) at the Sai Yok end of town for 1000 baht. Songthaew buses are frequent along the main drag for a flat 10B so you are never far from downtown or that bridge.

It has rained in Kan this summer but so far very little. Seems to be the driest place in the country. I suppose that could change next month. Last winter it didn't rain at all for 6 months. Not a drop. If you like motorcycling the roads are excellent, particularly the minor main roads. Good surfaces, tree lined and mostly free of traffic. Great scenery too. The main Sai Yok highway is rather dangerous, but the Erawan road much less so. You can rent bikes in town at loads of places. Canoeing down river is quite popular. Your guest house will probably have details. The canoe companies usually take you and a canoe up river to Wat Tha Namtuen (N14.05482 E99.47498) or further up and let you paddle back home. Sometimes they provide a canoeing guide to accompany you.

The tourist guest house road, Maenamkwai Road (N14.03506 E99.51843) is a small version of the Khao San Road in Bangkok and is full of farangs and farang food. It's not my cup of tea and I rarely visit apart from the occasional trip to the Tesco Express shop. There's a big Tesco store at the Bangkok end of town, and a massive new Robinsons complex (N14.02758 E99.55271) - opened a few months ago - on the by-pass at the junction with the 324 highway, so your shopping needs will be well catered for.

Good luck. And I hope you enjoy my favourite part of Thailand.

Nice post

Is that 3K a month rooms in the usual hotel/guesthouse places or you mean a seperate rented room in a house type place for 3K?

I have a house and family in Kan. Moved permanently from Sriracha a couple of years ago into what was our holiday home. Best decision I made. Kan is a world apart from Bangkok or the more notorious tourist resorts. It's not quite as it was when I first came here 30 years ago but it hasn't changed as much as Sriracha for example.

You can rent rooms on the river very cheaply as fellow posters have pointed out. But if you want to stay a whole month you can get these rooms for just 3000 baht. A biking friend stayed there last winter for a month. He was very happy. I prefer a bit "posher" hotel and I used to stay at the RS Hotel (GPS N14.05878 E99.50061) at the Sai Yok end of town for 1000 baht. Songthaew buses are frequent along the main drag for a flat 10B so you are never far from downtown or that bridge.

It has rained in Kan this summer but so far very little. Seems to be the driest place in the country. I suppose that could change next month. Last winter it didn't rain at all for 6 months. Not a drop. If you like motorcycling the roads are excellent, particularly the minor main roads. Good surfaces, tree lined and mostly free of traffic. Great scenery too. The main Sai Yok highway is rather dangerous, but the Erawan road much less so. You can rent bikes in town at loads of places. Canoeing down river is quite popular. Your guest house will probably have details. The canoe companies usually take you and a canoe up river to Wat Tha Namtuen (N14.05482 E99.47498) or further up and let you paddle back home. Sometimes they provide a canoeing guide to accompany you.

The tourist guest house road, Maenamkwai Road (N14.03506 E99.51843) is a small version of the Khao San Road in Bangkok and is full of farangs and farang food. It's not my cup of tea and I rarely visit apart from the occasional trip to the Tesco Express shop. There's a big Tesco store at the Bangkok end of town, and a massive new Robinsons complex (N14.02758 E99.55271) - opened a few months ago - on the by-pass at the junction with the 324 highway, so your shopping needs will be well catered for.

Good luck. And I hope you enjoy my favourite part of Thailand.

Nice post

Is that 3K a month in the hotel/guesthouses for a month stay or you mean a rented room/flat for 3K a month?

Thanks again to all for the suggestions and info. Left Kan yesterday, after 5 days with kayking, fishing, driving around exploring the area of simply standing in the pool with a beer enjoying the surrounds at U Inchantree. Was a great change of pace and will go back again.

Cheers,

J

Did you catch any fish? If so, what and where?

Cheers,

J

Did you catch any fish? If so, what and where?

No. Got on the water about 0800-0815, which is late for fishing, but still quite a bit of surface activity. One had a go at my spinner a couple yards off the kayak but, as the sun got higher, the surface action dwindled off. As it does. I didn't care. After 9 months of chucking loaves of bread at bloodied catfish in pay ponds, I was just happy to be using some of my lures in a natural lake setting. thumbsup.gif

Kanchan is a great spot, bloody hot though.

We stay in an I think it is Israeli owned place on the river just down from the bridge, great food and was only 800b a night.

Indeed. As we closed in, the temp on the car dash was 38. Flashbacks from April/May. However, every day we were there, dark clouds and wind around 1630 and things cooled right down to make for very pleasant evenings. Not a drop of rain to speak of out of those clouds though.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...