confused about monitors

jaideeguy

Actually, what I'm looking for is maybe a TV as a monitor, as my old and failing eyes find my present Acer 20 inch a bit of a strain. I look at larger dedicated monitors and see that there is not much over 27 inches. This has me thinking of just buying a 40 inch flat screen TV, but which kind?? That's where I get confused..........plasma, LCD, LED or which has the best resolution and display to double as my super large computer monitor and combo entertainment screen. TVs seem a bit cheaper than computers, right??

Can anyone please advise??

Yes some members here uses a TV as PC monitor, in the 40-50" range depends how far away you sit from it I guess.

I uses a dedicated pc monitor a Dell 2713HM 2560x1440 which is very nice but expensive at + 18.000 bath.

In your case it would maybe be best to buy a 40" TV and you can get them cheaper than 18.000 too.

I don't know what to look for when shopping for a TV pc monitor but others will know.

Unless you are a serious game player a tv should be ok however if you are the refresh rates may be too slow.

meaning???

not much of a gamer, the 'monitor/TV' would be mostly for doing routine stuff on the internet and for DL movies.

So, what would the best TV be?? plasma, lcd, led or what else do they have out there now. I can't keep up with technology any more.

Unless you are a serious game player a tv should be ok however if you are the refresh rates may be too slow.

meaning???

not much of a gamer, the 'monitor/TV' would be mostly for doing routine stuff on the internet and for DL movies.

So, what would the best TV be?? plasma, lcd, led or what else do they have out there now. I can't keep up with technology any more.

Meaning people who play games often want the movement to be very fast and smooth. Movies do not matter if you are happy with tv movies they will be ok.

Would not get a plasma too hot and too much power. I would be looking at a LED myself.

For an average person with usual needs like Web surfing, a 21" monitor will be sufficient.

Why not TV: in a TV, each pixel is larger, so you will inevitably have to sit farther. For 40", it will be 5-6 feet (2 m).

So you will need longer cables.

Plus, you won't be able to use both internal screen and a TV (due to a different required distance).

Just go for a 20" or 21" monitor, it will be as cheap as 2,000 THB. Don't forget to check the interface: your computer may have HDMI (best), DVI, or a plain VGA (worst) outlet.

For an average person with usual needs like Web surfing, a 21" monitor will be sufficient.

Why not TV: in a TV, each pixel is larger, so you will inevitably have to sit farther. For 40", it will be 5-6 feet (2 m).

Plus, you won't be able to use both internal screen and a TV (due to a different required distance).

Just go for a 20" or 21" monitor, it will be as cheap as 2,000 THB. Don't forget to check the interface: your computer may have HDMI (best), DVI, or a plain VGA (worst) outlet.

Pixel size on the same size screen is the same.

larger screens need higher resolutions and the tv large screens are higher resolution too.

OP said that he have problems seeing clearly on his 20" monitor so he will need a 24 to 27" minimum or have a 36" TV 2 meters away.

I use a 32" HDTV as my monitor and I sit about 600mm away from it and it is perfectly fine, My old 24" LED monitor sits beside it for the watching movies/tv show on and there really is not much difference )if) at all.

The size of the tv is imaterial. If he has a very high resolution 40 inch monitor he can have his nose on it.

What matters is the resolution. I agree 23in is a good size but it would be best to get one that has a higher resolution than 1024*768.

We do not know the resolution of his present monitor. My preference would be to go for at least 1280*800 though I would prefer 1920*1080 though thesw are rarer and more expensive in both monitors and tvs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolution may help.

I would not get a tv larger than 30 inches with less than 1920* 100 though monitors used on computers just a few years ago had much lower resolution..we have got much more fussy.

There is a bit of confusion regarding monitors and tvs. A tv now is a dedicated computer displaying on its own inbuilt monitor. If the spec for the monitor is the same they can be used the same.

This did not apply to the days we used CRT screens.

though I would prefer 1920*1080 though thesw are rarer and more expensive in both monitors and tvs.

That is standard 1080 Full HD resolution and TVs and wide screen monitors are readily available in that and as low as 5,500 Baht for a 23" monitor in that resolution. Hardly rare or expensive.

though I would prefer 1920*1080 though thesw are rarer and more expensive in both monitors and tvs.

That is standard 1080 Full HD resolution and TVs and wide screen monitors are readily available in that and as low as 5,500 Baht for a 23" monitor in that resolution. Hardly rare or expensive.

I do not consider them expensive either. But many people do. I can remember what I had to pay for CRT monitors that would now be junk. Most of the tvs at very low cost and most of the 23 inch monitors on sale are only 1366*768.

The cheapest 1080i on InVadeit http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/monitors/acer/23inch-led-s230hldbd-1920x1080-vga-dvi-non-glare-p015997/ is 4190baht.

of course I want this one http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/monitors/dell/s2340t-23inch-touchscreen-ips-monitor-1920x1080-10001-8ms-p014661/ do you think Santa will bring one?

The OP was wanting a 27 inch or larger and http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/monitors/dell/s2740l-27inch-led-monitor-1920x1080-10001-p011649/ is a more realistic minimum.

Personally I think he may be better by checking out a 23" 1080i or better and should check if this is an improvement over his present one.

Edited by harrry

The OP was wanting a 27 inch or larger and http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/monitors/dell/s2740l-27inch-led-monitor-1920x1080-10001-p011649/ is a more realistic minimum.

I think that is a very nice monitor also. I have a DELL 24" 1920 x 1200 (16:10 aspect) IPS panel and the extra vertical space is very nice for my design work and web browsing. Now 16:10 is hard to find and had to order mine through DELL Malaysia. I believe any larger than 27" and he is going to have either desktop space or distance issues. With 27" and proper configuration of Windows 7/8 display parameters it should easily meet his needs.

Another consideration is ensure the graphic card you have supports 1900 resolution. If not you may have to buy one...say 2000baht.

Another thing is that windows 7 or 8 provide many more options to improve readibility than XP. If you are using XP I strongly advise you to upgrade.

Edited by harrry

I just now returned from JIB computer shop where they had a flyer with the current promotions. Notable is the 27" Dell S2740L for 10,590 baht, down from 13,390. 27" screen, 1920x108- 6- Hz, 16:9 aspect ratio. I have had this same model now for almost a year and it has given excellent performance, typical for Dell monitors. Note this is full HD and the screen real estate allows for comfortable multi-window workspace or one could enlarge the font size to accomodate weaker vision. Much recommended from my personal experience.

a 27-inch monitor with 1920x1200 resolution gives best viewing comfort on desktop and best clarity for onscreen graphic. well, won't see much different on movie or motion graphic.

any 30-inch plus TV or monitor with 1920x1200 resolution, it looks like another magnifier glass in between, especially prepares for desktop application.

30-inch plus display with higher than 1920x1200 resolution, is not cheap. in addition, you may need a good graphic card for driving 2560x1600 resolution.

back to the basic question - a lot of computer work, or a lot of movie watching ?

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/sony-bravia-kdl-40bx420/4505-6482_7-34504772.html

is currently available at bigC at 10999baht and handles 1080i

it is worth reading this though.

PC: The BX420 performed worse as a big PC monitor via VGA than most LCDs we've tested. Despite handling the full resolution of 1,920x1080 pixels, it evinced softness in text and other detailed areas that no adjustment we tried could cure. PC sources via HDMI looked fine, however.

so it seems would be ok if you use the HDMI connection.

Myself like to see with my own eyes. when I buy something........ so if possible try to take a laptop with you, or a friend with a laptop.......

I have a Full HD 1080 Plasma 42" Panasonic, very good picture from PC, also watch live TV on it.......... I have a almost new 32" Philips LCD the picture is poor [pixel size ? x 760] can watch OK but poor compared to the HD TV

My PC has a GeForce 9800 GT graphics card so can connect both TV's via HMDi cable... normal PC use, use a Dell 24"... just nice to have bigger when watching Live TV eg: Live F1 this last weekend.

No idea why but connect via a VGA cable the picture is OK on the Panasonic, but is un-watchable on the Philips LCD

I just now returned from JIB computer shop where they had a flyer with the current promotions. Notable is the 27" Dell S2740L for 10,590 baht, down from 13,390. 27" screen, 1920x108- 6- Hz, 16:9 aspect ratio. I have had this same model now for almost a year and it has given excellent performance, typical for Dell monitors. Note this is full HD and the screen real estate allows for comfortable multi-window workspace or one could enlarge the font size to accomodate weaker vision. Much recommended from my personal experience.

I agree, my Dell 2713HM are really good, watching a 6-10GB HD movie is just awesome and I play games sometimes which off-course is excellent too.

I still uses my old 22" Samsung monitor and it's good for low quality stuff.

Dell rocksthumbsup.gif

OP said that he have problems seeing clearly on his 20" monitor so he will need a 24 to 27" minimum or have a 36" TV 2 meters away.

Increasing screen size would not help here. While you will be able to better see each pixel, your eyes will get tired faster due to more movement. If you've been in a cinema on the first rows, you know what I mean.

OP should play with zoom factors instead. Most systems allows it. E.g., in a Windows-based Web browser, simply pressing Ctrl+GrayPlus will do the trick (Ctrl+GrayMinus to decrease and Ctrl+GrayZero to reset).

Edited by bytebuster

OP said that he have problems seeing clearly on his 20" monitor so he will need a 24 to 27" minimum or have a 36" TV 2 meters away.

Increasing screen size would not help here. While you will be able to better see each pixel, your eyes will get tired faster due to more movement. If you've been in a cinema on the first rows, you know what I mean.

OP should play with zoom factors instead. Most systems allows it. E.g., in a Windows-based Web browser, simply pressing Ctrl+GrayPlus will do the trick (Ctrl+GrayMinus to decrease and Ctrl+GrayZero to reset).

The bigger the screen the farther you need to get away from it. Our 55 HD TV in the bedroom is about 6 meters away from my head. Essentially looks same seize as a 10 inch tab on my belly.... what really matters for viewing quality is the pixel count.

I would suggest to go to a shop, view a 23 inch high quality monitor from normal desk distance (50cm). If you see an improvement, buy it, but make sure your grafic card, or integrated grafic, supports high resolution.

If that does not help, have your eyes checked. I am not trying to be cynical, but that may be the easiest way.

I use glasses for far away things, like driving or cinema. Vast improvement. :rolleyes:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Larger pixels could be a factor in choosing monitor / TV if your eyes can't see smaller pixels (Astigmatic eye).

I've been using 32" HDReady (1366x768) before and I use 26" 1360x768 resolution currently.

I plan to buy a high res monitor and use high dpi mode to get crystal clear text nowadays but I still hope I can buy 3200x1800 resolution 27-30" IGZO monitor for cheap in future (which is not, very expensive)

Btw bigger LED TV emits more heat so you have to sit further away from it.

Happened to notice when shopping a Samsung 27" Monitor, 8 thousand something baht, and it had HDMI, not looking to buy a Samsung Monitor no idea of spec or if any good,,

The one I like on my wish list is Dell and over 25,000 baht

Edited by ignis

• 2 weeks later...

Been pricing flat screen lcd tvs around the usual retail outlets and have only found one model with the high resolution [1020X1980] and it was quite noticeable when side by side with the normal resolution.......super sharp and gets good reviews. it's the LG 32LN 5400 http://www.lg.com/in/tvs/lg-32LN5400-led-lcd-tvs discounted down to 11Kthb

BTW, it's main use will be entertainment