Tobacco giant welcomes Thai court cigarette warning order

Lite Beer

"Philip Morris has said its production system could not cope with the new requirement to print multiple pictures, the court said."

A simple job for an 8 year old to do but way beyond the abilities of a multi-billion worth megacorp.

As an ex-smoker who has lost several family members to lung cancer, I feel that the more a government can do to prevent people from starting this not only disgusting, but deadly habit, the better. 85% of both sides of the packets is a great start, but since tobacco smoke contains more carcinogens than diesel exhaust, why not make possession of tobacco products illegal? Govrrnments can make more revenue from helping people quit than by taxing tobacco sales but still subsidizing cancer patients.

As an ex-smoker who has lost several family members to lung cancer, I feel that the more a government can do to prevent people from starting this not only disgusting, but deadly habit, the better. 85% of both sides of the packets is a great start, but since tobacco smoke contains more carcinogens than diesel exhaust, why not make possession of tobacco products illegal? Govrrnments can make more revenue from helping people quit than by taxing tobacco sales but still subsidizing cancer patients.

You were a smoker, if you were still a smoker you would not make that post. You gave it up, so now everybody else is wrong. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

"Philip Morris has said its production system could not cope with the new requirement to print multiple pictures, the court said."

A simple job for an 8 year old to do but way beyond the abilities of a multi-billion worth megacorp.

The boxes are delivered pore pre printed anyway. Could be the case that to make extra colours for Thailand could be prohibitively expensive though.

"...the health risks of smoking are universally known in Thailand," said Onanong Pratakphiriya, of the company's Thai arm.

I doubt that.
You are right. It should read "...the health risks of smoking are universally known in the entire world,". Seriously, you can't believe there is anyone in the entire world that does not know about the health effects of tobacco use. If so, which tribe, and how long have they lived in that cave?

Maybe the tribe who live in the cave called 'Song district' in the province called Phrae. Remember these guys:

post-35489-0-90262100-1377603471.jpg

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/660722-google-maps-car-stopped-in-phrae-thailand;-driver-accused-of-being-govt-spy/

Yes, I'm an ex-smoker. That doesn't mean everyone else is wrong. I just had the necessary motivation to quit. If I had seen graphic colour photos of diseased lungs, etc. on cigarette packets 34 years ago, I would never have started smoking. How many smokers are glad to be addicted to tobacco? Most smokers know how unhealthy it is, and many try to discourage others from starting because they know how tough it is to quit once you've become addicted.

Yes, I'm an ex-smoker. That doesn't mean everyone else is wrong. I just had the necessary motivation to quit. If I had seen graphic colour photos of diseased lungs, etc. on cigarette packets 34 years ago, I would never have started smoking. How many smokers are glad to be addicted to tobacco? Most smokers know how unhealthy it is, and many try to discourage others from starting because they know how tough it is to quit once you've become addicted.

In junior high school in the US, all of us watched movies about the dangers of smoking; including lung surgery and graphic images of lung cancer. Nearly all of us were smoking by high school. People know it is bad to take drugs, smoke, overeat, drive drunk, participate in dangerous sport, etc. What kind of Big Brother Nanny State do you want to live in. Those who would enforce these rules would be hypocrites (e.g. cops with no helmets enforcing the helmet law in Thailand). Studies have show that smokers generate more tax revenue for the government and then conveniently die before they get old. Since we are on a Thailand forum, it is ludicrous for anyone to expect changes in Thai societal behavior emanating from government policy. The best idea I've heard to curb tobacco use among the young is to graphically demonstrate how much money they will have to spend to support their habit for a month, year, lifetime.

In order to discourage the young children from starting this bad habit, everyone including smokers should support this move by the health ministry. While it may be a big emberassment to smokers, big graphic disgusting pictures on the packets may dissuade children from starting.

Did not work in the rest of the world, why would it work here?!

I'm not sure how much effect this would have but the measures that have been taken in other countries have reduced smoking. That's one of the reasons why the tobacco companies were so keen to expand into new markets including Asia.

It's certainly the young who need to be targeted as you'll find very few people who will say they took up smoking in their late teens and beyond.

Ok let me make a few points and opinions on this article...

I do Praise the Thai government for managing to get the graphic image on there in the first place as well it shows or at least appears that it cares for its people..

Will people still smoke? YES

Will they buy fancy little pack holders to cover the image? YES

In the USA the government tried to do this and did not succeed. I believe that a visual image can certainly have more impact than what the USA offers a "Surgeon Generals Warning". AS is commonly known most newspapers and periodicals are written at an 8th grade level, so where exactly does it place a Thai in interpreting the dangers written in words.

Perhaps if there wasn't too much censorship and politically correctness we wouldn't have such a desensitized public in the USA

Here in Thailand when there is an accident or a body cut in 2 from a motorbike accident it makes the news, without censorship.

I do feel the visual images do make an impact otherwise the tobacco companies wouldn't be so up in arms about it affecting their profits.

Visual image or words.. Will they still smoke? PROBABLY

In your opinion what messages makes it point more clearly to a wider age group? 10-20 printed words of some warning, or a gruesome graphic image of a heart or lung/opened bloody chest, rotting decayed teeth?

As the adage says... "A picture is worth a thousand words"

If governments were really worried about people and health, they could always subsidize things like nicabate and other help quit smoking "medication" instead of wasting money on telling people about smoking.

But they make huge money from taxes on Tobacco company's and then again more taxes on quit smoking company's

In the end, they want you to smoke, it makes money for them

Wouldn't it be smarter to have your hands in both cookie jars?

Ok let me make a few points and opinions on this article...

I do Praise the Thai government for managing to get the graphic image on there in the first place as well it shows or at least appears that it cares for its people..

Will people still smoke? YES

Will they buy fancy little pack holders to cover the image? YES

In the USA the government tried to do this and did not succeed. I believe that a visual image can certainly have more impact than what the USA offers a "Surgeon Generals Warning". AS is commonly known most newspapers and periodicals are written at an 8th grade level, so where exactly does it place a Thai in interpreting the dangers written in words.

Perhaps if there wasn't too much censorship and politically correctness we wouldn't have such a desensitized public in the USA

Here in Thailand when there is an accident or a body cut in 2 from a motorbike accident it makes the news, without censorship.

I do feel the visual images do make an impact otherwise the tobacco companies wouldn't be so up in arms about it affecting their profits.

Visual image or words.. Will they still smoke? PROBABLY

In your opinion what messages makes it point more clearly to a wider age group? 10-20 printed words of some warning, or a gruesome graphic image of a heart or lung/opened bloody chest, rotting decayed teeth?

As the adage says... "A picture is worth a thousand words"

I wish the university lecturers and markers had felt the same way at examination time! smile.png

In order to discourage the young children from starting this bad habit, everyone including smokers should support this move by the health ministry. While it may be a big emberassment to smokers, big graphic disgusting pictures on the packets may dissuade children from starting.

Did not work in the rest of the world, why would it work here?!

I'm not sure how much effect this would have but the measures that have been taken in other countries have reduced smoking. That's one of the reasons why the tobacco companies were so keen to expand into new markets including Asia.

It's certainly the young who need to be targeted as you'll find very few people who will say they took up smoking in their late teens and beyond.

Hmmm not sure what you mean by expanding into Asia . They have been here for years without much change

I've been of the smokes for just over 3 months this time and I hope I manage to stay off them.

I still believe that as long as cigarettes can be bought legally and taxed by the governments they shouldn't be restricted any more than any other product.

If the governments were fair dinkum about it they would make cigarettes illegal, but that would cost them too much money in lost revenue.

So, put a 5 cents / 10 baht a packet levy on and make sure that money is spent on educating kids about the dangers of smoking.