New rules for extensions of stay with expiring passport

Apologies for my complete ignorance and lack of understanding depite the helpful posts on here but I'm still confused.

My passport expires in mid- March 2015.

My extension of stay is until the end of December 2014.

I was going to renew my passport in the next month, go to immi ( Khon Kaen) and transfer the extension to my new passport so the extension still expires in December 2014. Same as I did when I got my renewed my current passport 10 years ago.

Does this now mean when I go to immi with my new passport I have to re-apply for an extension with all the paperwork, seasoned money etc or will they still transfer my current extension to my new passport so my extension is still valid until Dec 2014?

Sorry for the dumb question as I must be missing something obvious here

Many thanks

Not a dumb question in the slightest.

My understanding is that now, when you apply for an extension, it will only be given until the expiry date of the passport if that falls within the standard extension term.

However if you have a valid extension, that this will be transferred to your new passport.

Is a corollary, if for some reason Immigration will not transfer the extension/re-entry permit to your new passport when you get it, then providing the page(s) with the extension/re-entry permit is not cut/holed when you old passport is cancelled then the extension/re-entry permit should remain valid.

• Like 1

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apologies for my complete ignorance and lack of understanding depite the helpful posts on here but I'm still confused.

I was going to renew my passport in the next month, go to immi ( Khon Kaen) and transfer the extension to my new passport so the extension still expires in December 2014. Same as I did when I got my renewed my current passport 10 years ago.

Does this now mean when I go to immi with my new passport I have to re-apply for an extension with all the paperwork, seasoned money etc or will they still transfer my current extension to my new passport so my extension is still valid until Dec 2014?

Many thanks

They will transfer you stamps. No need to do the extension until it ends in December.

Great thanks Joe.

Im going back to the UK for 3 weeks in the summer. Would it be better and quicker to renew my passport while I'm there? Would I have any probs coming back to Bangkok on a new passport or do I have to just show my re-entry permit in my old passport and they'll stamp my new one?

Cheers

100%, renew your passport when you are in the UK, it will definitely prove much less expensive and troublesome than dealing with the rolling fiasco that currently is in place for UK overseas passport issue in Thailand.

You will also get credited for the remaining time on your passport as it is less then nine months, so your new 10 years will be from the expiry date of your old passport.

Make sure that your current Extension and Re-Entry Permit passport pages are folded in and clearly flagged with post its/etc. so that the Top RHS Corners are not cut off these pages when the old passport is cancelled.

Edited by digitalchromakey
  • Like 2

Many thanks

They will transfer you stamps. No need to do the extension until it ends in December.
Great thanks Joe.

Im going back to the UK for 3 weeks in the summer. Would it be better and quicker to renew my passport while I'm there? Would I have any probs coming back to Bangkok on a new passport or do I have to just show my re-entry permit in my old passport and they'll stamp my new one?

Cheers

It would certainly be easier and quicker to get your new passport done in the UK.

You can use use your old passport to show your re-entry permit and they will stamp your entry in the new passport without a problem.

Then go to immigration to have your stamps transferred.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

This is my first writing on this.........

I have recently got a new passport and got my Non Imm Visa transfered to my new passport.........Last year, when I apllied for my Years visa November 2013, it was noticed that my passport would expire on October 2014.......So, I got a 11 month visa.......Then in July 2014, I applied for my new passport, using the swift post option.......Once I received my new passport, (3 weeks), I then headed to the Immigration Office, where my visa was transfered from old to new......I filled out their "New Passport" forms and with that, photo copies of my old passport.......That, was that........It's supposed to be a free service, but, I was asked for 500 baht......To which I gave.........

Hi guys,

I have recently got a new passport and got my Non Imm Visa transfered to my new passport.........Last year, when I apllied for my Years visa November 2013, it was noticed that my passport would expire on October 2014.......So, I got a 11 month visa.......Then in July 2014, I applied for my new passport, using the swift post option.......Once I received my new passport, (3 weeks), I then headed to the Immigration Office, where my visa was transfered from old to new......I filled out their "New Passport" forms and with that, photo copies of my old passport.......That, was that........It's supposed to be a free service, but, I was asked for 500 baht......To which I gave.........

Interested, is It 1,2 or 3 below that's fits your situation?

1) You have two passports.

2) You applied to renew whilst you were in the UK then returned to Thailand.

3) You posted you passport to a friend in the UK who applied on your behalf and posted it back.

Edited by digitalchromakey

Hi guys,

I suspect had the information from your visa and your current extension of stay from immigration transferred. I suspect the extension ends at the expiration date of your previous passport rather than adding any time?

Not sure what the 500 baht was for and appears you did not get a receipt saying?

• 4 years later...

I will be renewing my extension this week and my passport is valid until Nov 2019, which means I still have around 7 months left.

Can I check If I can transfer the visa/reentry permit to my new passport when I renew it in coming months after extending my visa?

My extension of stay will expire on 26 April, I dont think I have enough time to make a new passport on time.

1 hour ago, shady86 said:

I will be renewing my extension this week and my passport is valid until Nov 2019, which means I still have around 7 months left.

Can I check If I can transfer the visa/reentry permit to my new passport when I renew it in coming months after extending my visa?

My extension of stay will expire on 26 April, I dont think I have enough time to make a new passport on time.

When you apply for your extension it will only be valid to the date your passport expires. Then you will have to apply for a new extension in November again.

After you get a new passport immigration will transfer your stamps to the new one.

There is no way to get a new passport by Friday of this week.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

When you apply for your extension it will only be valid to the date your passport expires. Then you will have to apply for a new extension in November again.

After you get a new passport immigration will transfer your stamps to the new one.

There is no way to get a new passport by Friday of this week.

Thanks for the clarification. I should have renewed my passport earlier.

• 1 year later...