New rules for extensions of stay with expiring passport

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Skipping the nested quotes, someone living in Ubon could get their passport renewal and income affidavit for retirement extension at ONE visit to a US Consular Outreach of the 2 each year in Khon Kaen and 2 each year Udon if using the return by EMS service besides the once a year visit to Ubon.

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/consular_outreach.html

Would a income affidavit showing info from old cancelled passport be accepted at immigration? If not that would mean $50 wasted and a rush trip to BKK.

Trip to KK or Udon would mean overnight trip unless you wanted to get up very very early morning to insure making it by 12 when outreaches end.

As I said I considered KK for passport application. But when I checked airfare for trips (4 months advance purchase) to BKK it worked out cheaper and could be done in one day.

The January visit here didn't work for me and still doesn't for income affidavit because it's 7 months before extension is due. At the time it was 30 days early at immigration here instead of six months that it is now. But I would never get one that early.

Just tryin' to help out -- if I never have to travel again to the Embassy/Consulate on Wireless in BKK or that part of Bangkok in general that will be fine with me.

You're probably right that it would not be worth chancing having an Affidavit with the old passport number and then applying for the extension with the new passport number although as we've been saying the old passport would still be valid for other-than-travel purposes.

However as you've already bought the tickets to BKK, I guess it's all moot point.

Edited by JLCrab

Just tryin' to help out -- if I never have to travel again to the Embassy/Consulate on Wireless in BKK or that part of Bangkok in general that will be fine with me.

Getting passport and affidavit done was about half an hour with appointments at 1pm.

I walk there from MRT or BTS.

I make any trip to BKK as short as possible.

Did trips last month. Now on under consideration stamp in new passport.

Edited by ubonjoe

You're probably right that it would not be worth chancing having an Affidavit with the old passport number and then applying for the extension with the new passport number although as we've been saying the old passport would still be valid for other-than-travel purposes.

However as you've already bought the tickets to BKK, I guess it's all moot point.

I wouldn't want to chance showing up at Immigration with an income affidavit listing my old passport number, and then seeking my new extension in a new passport with a different number.

Someone might get away with that, but I'm guessing the odds wouldn't be very good.

• Like 1

I agree that a second trip at least to Consular Service somewhere would be required after the new passport is obtained mea culpa. Still there is the mention that US Consular Outreaches take place 2 times each per year in UdonT and Khon Kaen of which some might not be aware and with proper timing, one would not have to go to US Embassy Bangkok Wireless at all if one would prefer not to do so.

I'd almost like to engineer it so I would be renewing in July or August in future rather than in January (as I do now) when the Immigrations office is always standing-room-only.

I thank Buddha that my passport expires in 2021. post-35489-0-77943200-1377688336.gif

I like the idea of "engineering" the extension renewal date to be in the "low" season. Wish I could do it now.

If you apply for a 1 year extension of stay and your passport is only valid for 8 months, you will get an extension of stay for 8 months. Before those 8 months are finished, you need to get a new passport and when you have that apply for a new extension of stay, with all required paperwork. You then get a new 1 year extension of stay.

So apply on January 1 for a 1 year extension of stay with a passport that is valid till 1 September, you only get an extension of stay till 1 September. Before 1 September you go with your new passport to immigration and apply for a new 1 year extension of stay for 1,900 baht and all necesarry papperwork.

If you go after 1 september, you are on overstay at 500 baht a day with a maximum of 20,000 baht.

Thanks Mario, this seems to be the most logical answer to everything but just to clarify my own situation:

My US passport expires January, 2015

My retirement Visa is issued every year in March.

In March, 2014 when I go to renew my passport will only have only 10 months remaining.

thus,

I should renew my passport before March, 2014, but do I lose that 10 months remaining in the passport or will the Embassy give me a new one with 10 years, 8 months validity?

When I go to renew my retirement Visa do I bring the old and new passport?

Will they transfer all relevant stamps to the new passport or will I always have to carry both?

Thanks for your help.

If you're talking about a US passport, when you renew it, you just get a new 10-yr validity. You can apply for a renewal any time you want, but there's no "carry-over" of the unexpired portion of the prior passport to the new. 10 years from date of issue. Period.

You loose what ever is left on old US passport when you renew it.

Not that big a financial loss. Just did mine 9 months early which meant I lost $5.25 out of a 10 year passport that cost $70.

Easy process at embassy and it was 10 days from date I applied for it when I got email telling me it had arrived.

Edited by ubonjoe

You loose what ever is left on old US passport when you renew it. Not that big a financial loss. Just did mine 9 months early which meant I lost $5.25 out of a 10 passport that cost $70. Easy process at embassy and it was 10 days from date I applied for it when I got email telling me it had arrived.

I think the renewal fee is now $110. At least that is what it was last year for my renewal and that is what the government website states.

Just tryin' to help out -- if I nhave my letter get on a motorcuycle taxi and be in-line for the Suan Phlu opeever have to travel again to the Embassy/Consulate on Wireless in BKK or that part of Bangkok in general that will be fine with me.

Getting passport and affidavit done was about half an hour with appointments at 1pm.

I walk there from MRT or BTS.

I make any trip to BKK as short as possible.

Did trips last month. Now on under consideration stamp in new passport.

For 3 or 4 years I would go to Bangkok, stay in a hotel overnight, take the MRT to Lumphini and walk to the be at the US Embassy at 7:30 AM when it opened (before appointment regime); get my affidavit; hop on a motorcycle taxi to Suan Phlu and be near the front of the line when it opened at 8:30 to get my extension stamped in passport; then go back to my hotel to checkout before noon and head home.

Now for the affidavit and extension I don't have to go to Bangkok at all -- When I renew my passport in a few years maybe the same.

Got my extension stamp today.

Officer tried to explain what is happening. I guess he is not 100% clear what is happening. He stamped first whole year but corrected to May 2014 which is the month my passport will expire.

Anyway there is a new stamp also. Which says

Extension of star approved up to = End of next July where is supposed to end.

but permitted to stay up to = May 2014

Due to validity of passport.

Officer explained something that I need to apply a new visa if I don't renew the extension on May 2014 with new passport. He was also talking something about 6 months which I did not understand.

What I will do is that I will get a new passport on May and have all the requirements for the extension ready. I lose 2 months but who cares. Just need to have that 400,000b little earlier and keep it there couple months.

Officer tried to explain what is happening. I guess he is not 100% clear what is happening. He stamped first whole year but corrected to May 2014 which is the month my passport will expire.

Officer explained something that I need to apply a new visa if I don't renew the extension on May 2014 with new passport. He was also talking something about 6 months which I did not understand. 

What I will do is that I will get a new passport on May and have all the requirements for the extension ready. I lose 2 months but who cares. Just need to have that 400,000b little earlier and keep it there couple months.

Six months was probably about minimum passport validity which does not apply for here in your case but would for many countries. Even a quick trip to Laos would require 6 months.

I would not wait until May to get your new passport. You can still have your stamps transfered to your new passport before you do your extension in May.

Could you please scan and post the two stamps you got, for inclusion in my album of Current stamps of visas, extensions, etc?

After reading these posts let me give you my experience ....My British Passport was due to expire 11/12/13 I applied for new one 8/8/13 received 22/8/13. Retirement visa due 28/1/14 when renewed 28/1/13 it was valid through until expiry date of passport 11/12/13

Today I had visa transfer made into new passport .....valid until 28/1/14........all stamps from 2006 transferred over two pages and no charge.

After reading these posts let me give you my experience ....My British Passport was due to expire 11/12/13 I applied for new one 8/8/13 received 22/8/13.  Retirement visa due 28/1/14 when renewed 28/1/13 it was valid through until expiry date of passport 11/12/13

Today I had visa transfer made into new passport .....valid until 28/1/14........all stamps from 2006 transferred over two pages and no charge.

That tells us that new rules don't apply to existing extensions and they still transfer stamps.
  • Like 1

After reading these posts let me give you my experience ....My British Passport was due to expire 11/12/13 I applied for new one 8/8/13 received 22/8/13. Retirement visa due 28/1/14 when renewed 28/1/13 it was valid through until expiry date of passport 11/12/13

Replace "visa" with "extension" and understand that the dates are in the format day/month/year and your post makes some sense.

What immigration office did you use?

I use day, month, year. But like this 29 Aug13 which avoids confusion. Something I got from the USAF.

LOL !

The USAF also understands 29/08/13 or 29/8/2013 ! 

I know having worked with a great bunch of people (sad they were all Yanks !)Posted Image

I understand both ways but some people don't.

The written thing comes from doing training records. It was a ding from inspectors for 29/08/13 or even worse 08/29/13.

If you apply for a 1 year extension of stay and your passport is only valid for 8 months, you will get an extension of stay for 8 months. Before those 8 months are finished, you need to get a new passport and when you have that apply for a new extension of stay, with all required paperwork. You then get a new 1 year extension of stay.

So apply on January 1 for a 1 year extension of stay with a passport that is valid till 1 September, you only get an extension of stay till 1 September. Before 1 September you go with your new passport to immigration and apply for a new 1 year extension of stay for 1,900 baht and all necesarry papperwork.

If you go after 1 september, you are on overstay at 500 baht a day with a maximum of 20,000 baht.

Thank you very much Mario for clarifying this entire very confusing issue at hand. However, please bare with me for just one more unclear detail in this regard would you? You've mentioned overstay at 500 Baht per day with a maximum of 20,000 Baht. What does this mean. (What happens to an individual after 40 days overstay?). 40 days does render you liable for 20 000 Baht not so? Say someone overstayed 60 days. What then?

If you apply for a 1 year extension of stay and your passport is only valid for 8 months, you will get an extension of stay for 8 months.  Before those 8 months are finished, you need to get a new passport and when you have that apply for a new extension of stay, with all required paperwork. You then get a new 1 year extension of stay.

Thank you very much Mario for clarifying this entire very confusing issue at hand. However, please bare with me for just one more unclear detail in this regard would you? You've mentioned overstay at 500 Baht per day with a maximum of 20,000 Baht. What does this mean. (What happens to an individual after 40 days overstay?). 40 days does render you liable for 20 000 Baht not so? Say someone overstayed 60 days. What then?
Once you reach the 20,000 baht point that is it. You could stay 365 days and it would still be 20,000 baht.

Thank you again Ubonjoe, so I understand correct if I say that one will NOT be deported, you'll just have to pay-up 20 000 Baht and that's it?

Once you reach the 20,000 baht point that is it. You could stay 365 days and it would still be 20,000 baht.