New rules for extensions of stay with expiring passport

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And what they gain from this more than money !!?? ok 1.900 bht peanuts compare to renual Swedish passport 6000 bht !!

What is your point ? 

Yo always need a valid passport the cost of which has nothing do do with the Thai immigration officers/

I can't understand the complaint about getting passport early.

If you divide the cost of old passport by the number of months it was valid for it comes out to not a lot of money. My old passport cost $70 and was valid for ten years meaning the monthly cost was only $.58. So 9 months early means I lost $5.24 of it's cost.

Normally you do not even give your passport to US Consulate for more than making copy/checking warrants and when return to get new passport for cancel holes.

Yes.... for U.S. folks at least, you keep your current/old passport in your possession from the time you apply for a new book until you receive the new book.

But as already answered above, even when you receive or pick up your new passport book, you still keep possession of the old book, which would then be used to take to Thai Immigration for them to transfer your current extension stamp and any re-entry permit into your new book.

Normally you do not even give your passport to US Consulate for more than making copy/checking warrants and when return to get new passport for cancel holes.

If you choose to have them mail you the new passport how do you get the holes punched in the old one to officially cancel it?

I am planning to apply for 12-month extension based on retirement in December 2013. I am then flying to UK in January 2014 where I will apply for a new passport. I then fly back to Thailand around May. Will my extension still be valid, or will it be cancelled. If it will be cancelled, then there's no point me getting the extension in December. May as well just do a border run, fly out and back or whatever. New rules don't seem very clear. They raise more questions than they answer.

Sorry guys but still not understand this.

My paspoort is valid on 2015 januarie,i need to make a new 1 year visa on 17 september next month.Does this make a proplem for my 1 year visa reneval?

Ore i need to make a new paspoort before 17 september.

Thank you by forwar

If your passport is valid until January 2015 and you wish to obtain a new visa ( or do you mean extension) in September 2013 there is no need for concern.

Yes i need a new Non O visa ,

You can go and get a new visa assuming you meet the requirements. You have a valid passport so no problem!

Thanks mate

If you choose to have them mail you the new passport how do you get the holes punched in the old one to officially cancel it?

They send you instructions on where to punch the holes.

It would not be valid for international travel because its been canceled in the world wide database..

I am planning to apply for 12-month extension based on retirement in December 2013. I am then flying to UK in January 2014 where I will apply for a new passport. I then fly back to Thailand around May. Will my extension still be valid, or will it be cancelled. If it will be cancelled, then there's no point me getting the extension in December. May as well just do a border run, fly out and back or whatever. New rules don't seem very clear. They raise more questions than they answer.

Why would it be canceled? When does your passport expire. That will be the date your extension ends in 2014 if before December.

The UK adds up to 9 months of any time remaining on old passport to the new one.

Edited by ubonjoe

I was thinking of changing from retirement to Marriagewhen my next extension of my retirement is due.I always thought it was the same procedure but am now told you have to go out of the country--------is this every 90 days?

Here's some good reading for you on that subject, in a companion thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/663593-convert-retirement-visa-to-marriage-visa/

I wonder how many more years it will take until they come up with long term lasting straight forward and sensibly thought through, as well as for all immigration offices standardised visa regulations without implementing new ones every few month.

The common practice to change the rules every time a bureaucrat comes up with an idea how to increase the revenue from visas has to stop as it will not be compatible with countries more developed and responsible in this matter.

I hope this will end when ASEAN applies! But then again,- TIT.

ASEAN will have a big impact on many facets of how business is conducted here. Non-compliance with ASEAN rules can result in monetary fines, up to suspension of membership. It will remain to be seen how the Thai government receives this. There is big money and prestige involved and they don't want to be left out. As the Borg on Star Trek say, "Resistance is futile".

Agreed, but I don't think it will help us at all. And we are assuming that Thailand will not delay participation into the AEC, which I expect.

Edited by Nooky2

When your new passport is issued then the old one is in effect canceled and canceling your extension to stay now. How do you avoid the fine/overstay?

It amazes me, every time, how dim people are. The above question is a classic example of not bothering to read the relevant information, which was;

The new policy means that now when you get a new passport because the old one has expired you have to apply for a new extension of stay, with all the accompanying paperwork and of course pay the usual extension fee of 1,900 baht.

Put simply:- old passport about to expire, therefore apply beforehand for an extension of stay, thus avoiding over stay charge. However, to avoid extension of stay fee...

...anyone holding this visa needs to renew their passport while it still has at least 13 or 14 months validity. Usually the Homeland Embassy will compound any remaining time with the subsequent 10 years validity of a new passport.

But this is Thailand, so check Immigration for any opinion relating to the new passport number not matching the one on record and held against the existing visa. It should be ok as you have a legal passport in your name and with at least 10 years before expiry, as per Thai Immigration rules.

You must be new to Thailand. When has Thailand created a law and adhered to it 100%. They make the rules as they go, daily.

my passport expire march 14 2014,i have received in may a year stamp until may 2014(OA visa),my first extension was this month,the next one november 4th,i think the next one the first februari 2014,what s the best for me,renew my passport this year(december or januari 2014) april next year i need ask again one year extension(OA visa)

thks for answer

TallGuyJohninBKK

Some are naive travellers.

Whilst working I travelled for several years using two passports.

One valid and one expired but containing a valid visa !

-Never a problem !

This is what I try to get sense of. My extension ends in July 2014 (hopefully they stamp it tomorrow like that) and Passport April 2014. I just get the new passport and keep it as a valid ID and go for new extension in July when the extension expires from the expired passport. Should not be a problem.

Or do they want all extensions start with the near date when the passport is issued?

Or is it just a matter of quitting the service of moving the extension from the old to the new passport.

The caveat here is after you receive your new passport your old passport is cancelled (holes in it for US) and believe kept by the embassy/consulate for some countries. So you have an invalid passport (cancelled) with your permission of stay in it and a new passport with no permission of stay. As such it seems one would have to transfer the extension to the new passport to stay legal.

Tywais, I can only speak directly for the situation with the U.S., which gives back the old passports to its citizens, with two holes punched through them, when the new passport is issued.

But, as Thai Immigration told me, not specific to being an American, as long as the holder still has that "old" passport in their possession with the still valid stamps in it, they're fine until they reach their expiry date... Even if that same person is already holding their new passport.

If what you say is correct and some embassies/consulates keep the old passports when new ones are issued, how would citizens of those countries ever be able to have their Immigration stamps transferred over to the new book?

Same in Canada.

When I renew my passport, they ask me if I want to keep my old one, which I always do.

If your passport is valid till April 204, you will now get an extension of stay till April 2014. before April 2014 you go to immigration with the new passport and you get a new 1 year extension of stay (probably from April 2014 to April 2015, even if you apply in March 2014. But otherwise if you apply in March 2014 1 year from that date. This point is not clear).

This is what I try to get sense of. My extension ends in July 2014 (hopefully they stamp it tomorrow like that) and Passport April 2014. I just get the new passport and keep it as a valid ID and go for new extension in July when the extension expires from the expired passport. Should not be a problem.

Or do they want all extensions start with the near date when the passport is issued?

Or is it just a matter of quitting the service of moving the extension from the old to the new passport.

Normally, you're not going to get an extension of stay that's valid any longer than the expiry date of your current passport -- even if that's less than the full 12 month period.

Same in Canada.

When I renew my passport, they ask me if I want to keep my old one, which I always do.

For most people (i.e., those living in their home countries), keeping the old passport isn't especially necessary AFAIK, except as a sentimental or historical thing.

But when you're living abroad and relying on things like Thailand's annual extensions of stay, keeping the old passport at least long enough to have any pertinent extensions or re-entry permits transferred to the new passport becomes a pretty important thing.

Same with those residing here on regular visas, even though visas (unlike extensions) get transferred to new passports at airport Immigration when traveling -- not your local Immigration office.

Please clarify this.

For example for a retirement extension when applying with the new passport, does that mean a completely new fresh application including needing to financially qualify a second time, to the point of money seasoning for a 800K based application?

Yes

To the best of my knowledge, my continued retirement visa is simply an extension of my original Non-Immigrant O-type visa. Will this mean that I need to get a new Non_Imm O-type in the new passport and then go through the performance of getting another retirement extension????

It seems they are making it more complex or, am I wrong!

Please clarify this.

For example for a retirement extension when applying with the new passport, does that mean a completely new fresh application including needing to financially qualify a second time, to the point of money seasoning for a 800K based application?

Yes

To the best of my knowledge, my continued retirement visa is simply an extension of my original Non-Immigrant O-type visa. Will this mean that I need to get a new Non_Imm O-type in the new passport and then go through the performance of getting another retirement extension????

It seems they are making it more complex or, am I wrong!

No, you do not need a new visa. You just need a new extension of stay.

Let's try to make it more clear:

Old rule:

You have a passport valid till September 1. On January 1 you apply for a 1 year extension of stay. Immigration gives you an extension of stay till September 1 and tells you to return to immigration with a new passport before September 1. (If you come back after Sept 1 you don't have a valid permission to stay anymore and are fined for overstay).

You go back to immigration on 15 August with a new passport and immigration transfers all details to the new passport, in addition immigration gives you a new extension of stay, now till January 1 of next year for free.

New Rule:

You have a passport valid till September 1. On January 1 you apply for a 1 year extension of stay. Immigration gives you an extension of stay till September 1 and tells you to return to immigration with a new passport before September 1. (If you come back after Sept 1 you don't have a valid permission to stay anymore and are fined for overstay).

You go back to immigration on 15 of august. Immigration transfers the details of your old passport to the new passport. So far nothing has changed. Now comes the new part. Instead of immigration giving you a new permission to stay till January 1 of next year for free your extension of stay ends on September 1 and you have to apply for a new extension of stay with all necessary paperwork for the extension. You now get a new 1 year extension of stay valid till September 1 of next year and pay the usual fee of 1,900 baht for that.

First of all: What is wrong with the present rule? The minister wants a new rule, but he doesn't explain why this is so necessary. As far as I understand it now it brings more money to the state of Thailand, because if your passport expires half way your year visa you need to apply again when you show your new passport, bring your documents again (from the ambassy THB 1,240.-- and the traveling to and fro Bangkok) and pay another THB 1,900.-- for a single entry. If you had a multiple entry visa you pay THB 5,700.-- again. And no matter how long you already live in Thailand (I know people who live here already over 20 years) you have to show your face every 90 days.

In civilized countries where we trust each other for a start you get a year visa and after that a five year visa and don't need to show yourself and don't need to copy all the pages of your passport all the time. I'm sorry but I see these rules as a real child brain way of organizing. On the other hand it doesn't surprise me much, where one can't have a conversation in English with teachers English language which is an example for the average level of education.

Let's try to make it more clear:

Old rule:

You go back to immigration on 15 August with a new passport and immigration transfers all details to the new passport, in addition immigration gives you a new extension of stay, now till January 1 of next year for free.

New Rule:

You go back to immigration on 15 of august. Immigration transfers the details of your old passport to the new passport. So far nothing has changed. Now comes the new part. Instead of immigration giving you a new permission to stay till January 1 of next year for free your extension of stay ends on September 1 and you have to apply for a new extension of stay with all necessary paperwork for the extension. You now get a new 1 year extension of stay valid till September 1 of next year and pay the usual fee of 1,900 baht for that.

Good concise, illustrative explanation... Though I suspect questions will persist. smile.png

The other thing that a lot of people seem to be getting hung up over... is the mistaken impression that their current extensions of stay are automatically canceled when they get a new passport, even if the extension expiry date and old passport expiry date haven't arrived yet.

And as has been explained many times above already, the current extension remains valid until its expiry date and the matching expiry date of the old passport, even if a new passport has already been issued prior to those dates. It's just then necessary for the person to go to Immigration and have their still valid extension and any related stamps transferred to the new passport prior to the expiry of the old passport.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

Has any American TV members have experience renewing a US Passport though the US Embassy? How many months before your Passport expiration can you apply for an Passport Renewal, and approximately how long does it take for the embassy to process your request before you are issued a renewed passport? Thanks.

What about guys who just got the extension but they need to renew their passport next month? Same samba again?

Might depend on the reason for the new passport.

if the old passport expires, it will mean a new application for an extension of stay. If the passport was lost or is full and needs replacement, it is unclear. Personally I would say they will transfer the details and you get the old permission to stay back in the new passport. But that is my personal interpretation. We only have the announcement on immigration's website to go on.

Has any American TV members have experience renewing a US Passport though the US Embassy? How many months before your Passport expiration can you apply for an Passport Renewal, and approximately how long does it take for the embassy to process your request before you are issued a renewed passport? Thanks.

You can get a new passport anytime you want - just go to embassy website and make appointment and you can fill out the application and print it on-line to take with you - pay and about 10 days later your new passport will be ready for collection.

• Like 1