New rules for extensions of stay with expiring passport

If you are on overstay, you are no longer allowed to stay in the country. A short overstay is normally a question of paying the fine and getting an extension of stay at the same time if you qualify.

Otherwise it is paying the fine and leaving the country, to come back the same day if you want.

That is if you report yourself to immigration.

If you get caught by immigration, it is paying the fine AND buying a ticket to your home country. They can hold you till you have paid the fine and have paid for the ticket yourself.

If you cannot pay the fine, you go before a judge who will normally issue a lesser fine and if you cannot pay you do time in jail. When you have paid the fine or have done he replacing jail time, you are In immigration hold-up till you have paid a ticket out of the country to your home country.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deportation only happens if you get caught with an overstay. But if you had the 20k and could buy a ticket out you might not be deported.

You can go to the airport and pay the 20k and leave without a problem. There have been many people who have done it with many years of overstay.

rolleyes.gif To be exactly clear (see my other response in this topic) ....

1. My current U.S passport expires 14 October 2015.
  2. My annual retirement extension would be due on 15 October 2015 (if I follow the same renewal schedule).
  3. I normally do an annual "home visit" in July or August anyhow during the warm summer weather, just to see my brothers and sisters and take care of any business in the U.S. at that time.
  4. So it looks like in 2014 I'll just get a new passport when I'm back in the U.S. for my annual visit anyhow. That will make my new passport valid until 2024.
  5. Solves the problem nicely.

thumbsup.gif

I may be getting ahead of myself here, but let me ask: If He'saFarang does as he says using the example above, he returns to Thailand with a Re-Entry permit still in his old passport (that has been invalidated since issuance of his new passport.) And he also has his previous visa extension (a.k.a. "retirement" visa) in the old passport. So he arrives at Suvarnabhumi sometime between August 2014 and before October 14th, 2014. He presents both his old and new passport to immigration. He has (obviously) not been able to visit an immigration office yet to apply for a new visa extension. Will Suvarnabhumi immigration honor his ReEntry Permit in the old passport and let him in? If they don't, then he gets admitted on a 30 day tourist stay, and then he's just lost his visa extension, right? And in that case, will he have to start over again at square 1 with getting a non-imm visa (presumably "O"), then getting a new visa extension from that. Am I correct about this?

By the way, on my last US passport renewal (which was done from within the States in 2004,) they automatically returned my old passport to me with the new one. It came back with two holes in it, and opening to the 1st and 2nd pages with my data and signature, it had a red "Cancelled" stamp above my signature.

rolleyes.gif To be exactly clear (see my other response in this topic) ....

1. My current U.S passport expires 14 October 2015.
  2. My annual retirement extension would be due on 15 October 2015 (if I follow the same renewal schedule).
  3. I normally do an annual "home visit" in July or August anyhow during the warm summer weather, just to see my brothers and sisters and take care of any business in the U.S. at that time.
  4. So it looks like in 2014 I'll just get a new passport when I'm back in the U.S. for my annual visit anyhow. That will make my new passport valid until 2024.
  5. Solves the problem nicely.

thumbsup.gif

I may be getting ahead of myself here, but let me ask: If He'saFarang does as he says using the example above, he returns to Thailand with a Re-Entry permit still in his old passport (that has been invalidated since issuance of his new passport.) And he also has his previous visa extension (a.k.a. "retirement" visa) in the old passport. So he arrives at Suvarnabhumi sometime between August 2014 and before October 14th, 2014. He presents both his old and new passport to immigration. He has (obviously) not been able to visit an immigration office yet to apply for a new visa extension. Will Suvarnabhumi immigration honor his ReEntry Permit in the old passport and let him in? If they don't, then he gets admitted on a 30 day tourist stay, and then he's just lost his visa extension, right? And in that case, will he have to start over again at square 1 with getting a non-imm visa (presumably "O"), then getting a new visa extension from that. Am I correct about this?

By the way, on my last US passport renewal (which was done from within the States in 2004,) they automatically returned my old passport to me with the new one. It came back with two holes in it, and opening to the 1st and 2nd pages with my data and signature, it had a red "Cancelled" stamp above my signature.

In 2004 my previous UK passport was replaced.

The old UK passport had the top RHS corner clipped off, however the UK FCO Passport Authority had folded in the top RHS of all pages with valid visa/entry stamps so these pages remained un clipped and were thus still valid.

These visa/entry stamps were still usable (were accepted at Thai Borders when presented along with my new passport).

I presume the same could be done by not putting holes through valid visa/ pages in a USA Passport.

Got my extension stamp today.

Officer tried to explain what is happening. I guess he is not 100% clear what is happening. He stamped first whole year but corrected to May 2014 which is the month my passport will expire.

Anyway there is a new stamp also. Which says

Extension of star approved up to = End of next July where is supposed to end.

but permitted to stay up to = May 2014

Due to validity of passport.

Could you please scan and post the two stamps you got, for inclusion in my album of Current stamps of visas, extensions, etc?

Maestro

I have attched a scan of last years extension expiring on 23 Aug 2013 and the current one expiring 21 May 2014 which is the day my current passport expires.

I use the Immigration office at Nakhon Sawan.

post-5614-0-29476200-1378186687_thumb.jp

post-5614-0-70584600-1378186578_thumb.jp

No problem entering with new passport and showing valid re-entry permit in old passport.

People do it all the time with valid multiple entry visas in old passport a re-entry permit would be the same.

Just as a caution....

"valid re-entry permit" in this example would mean an "old passport" that hasn't yet reached its expiry date.

If the old passport has already expired (reached its expiration date), then any re-entry permit in it has expired also.

If the old passport has not yet reached its expiry date, even if a new passport has already been issued, then any valid re-entry permit in the old passport still could be used.

No problem entering with new passport and showing valid re-entry permit in old passport.

People do it all the time with valid multiple entry visas in old passport a re-entry permit would be the same.

Just as a caution....

"valid re-entry permit" in this example would mean an "old passport" that hasn't yet reached its expiry date.

If the old passport has already expired (reached its expiration date), then any re-entry permit in it has expired also.

If the old passport has not yet reached its expiry date, even if a new passport has already been issued, then any valid re-entry permit in the old passport still could be used.

Very very wrong.

Every thing that is still valid in a expired or cancelled passport remains valid.

Ask a few people that have a valid 10 year US visas that are not transferrable to a new passport.

That may apply for visas in "old passports"... but I don't believe it applies for re-entry permits or extension of stay stamps.

I specifically asked an Immigration supervisor about that the last time I was down at CW Immigration.

His answer was...the extension of stay stamp and re-entry permit would die with the expiry date of the old passport -- assuming they hadn't already been transferred over into the new passport.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

What would be the difference be between a expired or cancelled passport? I just got my extension transfered over from a cancelled passport.

I cannot imagine why anybody would end up with a expired passport wanting to transfer their stamps.

ubonjoe @ 279 said : Ask a few people that have a valid 10 year US visas that are not transferrable to a new passport.

Yes, I support that.

I have used two 10-year US visas when they were still not expired but were stamped in an expired and CXD passport along with a new passport to enter the US many times.

No problem. The visa did not expire when the old passport expired and was CXD and replaced. But it had to be presented along with (not in !) a valid new passport.

They don't transfer !!

My Belgian passports go for only 5 years !!

But then this is Thailand tongue.png

The difference is that an extension of stay can not be valid longer than the passport and a re-entry permit is only valid for the current permitted stay so in fact a re-entry permit as we are talking about Thailand could not be valid beyond the expiration date of the passport it was stamped in.

So I believe we're now in agreement about what I wrote originally...

Which was, in order to remain valid, an extension of stay and re-entry permit need to be transferred over to a new passport before the expiry date of the original "old" passport they were stamped into.

You cant use a re-entry permit stamped in an "old" passport once that passport has reached its expiry date, even if a new passport has been issued in the meantime.

Visa stamps are a different matter.

About passports, I think it's important to use the terms with care. Earlier this year, I had my extension of stay stamp transferred into a new passport from my old passport.

Using the terms being used here, my old passport at that point had been CANCELED by my consulate, meaning a new one had been issued and the old one had punches stamped thru it. But the old one had not yet EXPIRED...ie...reached its expiration date.

So Thai Immigration accepted my still valid extension of stay and simply moved it over, midway thru its term, to my newly issued passport book. If I had waited until my old passport had EXPIRED, Immigration would have told me... you're S-O-L.

No I don't agree because I said valid re-entry permit.

You are the one that mixed things up.

Unless somebody really botched things up they would never have a expired passport with a re-entry permit in it and be trying to enter the country.

Joe, my comments weren't in answer to any particular prior post or any narrow question that may have been raised by one member.

But rather, I was making simple statements of fact on the subject of re-entry permits, that are in fact correct.

You can't have a valid re-entry permit in a passport that's expired.

Copied from this post made by amrishtony: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/665620-new-visa-regulation-starting-august-26th-2013/#entry6788855

Got this info notice from my employer this morning. Anyone has more clear information regarding this?

FYI- here is the new rules from the Royal Thai Police Immigration Service announced on August 13, 2013:

Starting from 26 August 2013, the visa extension will be permitted only up to the expiry date of the applicant's passport, if the remaining validity of the passport is less than one year. When new passport is obtained or renewed, a new application is needed. The visa extension will NO longer be automatically transferred onto the new passport.

This new regulation will also impact to the family members. The visa holder and family members will need to re-apply for a new visa application by submitting all the required documents for long term visa extension and paying a fee of baht 1,900 per person. For example, the main applicant's passport will be expired on 30 December 2013. And the application for extension of stay was submitted on 29 August 2013. The extension of stay will be approved for up to 30 December 2013 (which is the expiration date of the applicant’s passport) for the applicant and his dependent persons, even though the passport of the dependent persons will be expired on 30 November 2014.

coffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

Edited by Maestro
Fixed link to source

attachicon.gifImage2.jpg

Got this info notice from my employer this morning. Anyone has more clear information regarding this?

FYI- here is the new rules from the Royal Thai Police Immigration Service announced on August 13, 2013:

Starting from 26 August 2013, the visa extension will be permitted only up to the expiry date of the applicant's passport, if the remaining validity of the passport is less than one year. When new passport is obtained or renewed, a new application is needed. The visa extension will NO longer be automatically transferred onto the new passport.

This new regulation will also impact to the family members. The visa holder and family members will need to re-apply for a new visa application by submitting all the required documents for long term visa extension and paying a fee of baht 1,900 per person. For example, the main applicant's passport will be expired on 30 December 2013. And the application for extension of stay was submitted on 29 August 2013. The extension of stay will be approved for up to 30 December 2013 (which is the expiration date of the applicant’s passport) for the applicant and his dependent persons, even though the passport of the dependent persons will be expired on 30 November 2014.

coffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

This is correct, we where informed about this by the Immigration department yesterday.

Basically this is because the dependent extension is linked to the main extension of stay. ( main and dependent extension will have same expire date )

• 2 months later...

It seems that no Thai government website has published this new rule yet but judging from reports by members it is being implemented by immigration offices. PWC Thailand refers to this rule as Sor.Tor.Mor very urgent letter No. 0029/171/Vor 4499, dated 13 August 2013, from the Royal Thai Police Immigration Service: http://www.pwc.com/th/en/pwc-tax-insight/2013/assets/2013-pwc-tax-insight7.pdf

my 10 year passport just lost 7 months as my extension comes up in July while passport expires in Dec

so will need apply for a new one in May to be safe.

I assume they transfer the original non o visa entry over thou to new passport correct? as they did when i got the passport

• 5 months later...

Oke sorry for reviving this old topic.

Question for a friend of mine. (extension of stay married)

His passport is valid till 14th July 2015 and His extension is valid till 14th July 2014 (so next year till 14th July 2015).

Will immigration still give him the 1 year or... ?? If not possible then he has to go to his Embassy to get a new passport more then 1 year early.

And a bit related question, can he do his extension let's say on the 11th July, so just a couple of days before his extension expires ??

Thanks

wai.gif

Oke sorry for reviving this old topic.

Question for a friend of mine. (extension of stay married)

His passport is valid till 14th July 2015 and His extension is valid till 14th July 2014 (so next year till 14th July 2015).

Will immigration still give him the 1 year or... ?? If not possible then he has to go to his Embassy to get a new passport more then 1 year early.

And a bit related question, can he do his extension let's say on the 11th July, so just a couple of days before his extension expires ??

Thanks

wai.gif

Current procedure is, if entitled, extension period is one year else expiry date of passport if within one year period - your friend should be fine for a one year extension if the normal other criteriae are met.

Can apply up to 30 days before expiry of current extension (up 45 days before in some areas).

• Like 1

^ Thanks, very much appreciated.

I know that he can apply 30 days before, but his Question was, if he can apply 2-3 (or even 1 day) before the extension of stay expires.

I guess the up to 30 days means that he could apply 2-3 days before (but with Immigration you never sure).

I will tell him to go to Jomtien Immigration next week and ask them.

Edited by MJCM

Apologies for my complete ignorance and lack of understanding depite the helpful posts on here but I'm still confused.

My passport expires in mid- March 2015.

My extension of stay is until the end of December 2014.

I was going to renew my passport in the next month, go to immi ( Khon Kaen) and transfer the extension to my new passport so the extension still expires in December 2014. Same as I did when I got my renewed my current passport 10 years ago.

Does this now mean when I go to immi with my new passport I have to re-apply for an extension with all the paperwork, seasoned money etc or will they still transfer my current extension to my new passport so my extension is still valid until Dec 2014?

Sorry for the dumb question as I must be missing something obvious here

Many thanks

^ Thanks, very much appreciated.

I know that he can apply 30 days before, but his Question was, if he can apply 2-3 (or even 1 day) before the extension of stay expires.

I guess the up to 30 days means that he could apply 2-3 days before (but with Immigration you never sure).

I will tell him to go to Jomtien Immigration next week and ask them.

Yes, you can even do it on the last day, best not because the risk is that if something is 'wrong' with the paperwork, then there is not enough time left to go running around collecting the 'correct' replacement papers.

• Like 1

Apologies for my complete ignorance and lack of understanding depite the helpful posts on here but I'm still confused.

I was going to renew my passport in the next month, go to immi ( Khon Kaen) and transfer the extension to my new passport so the extension still expires in December 2014. Same as I did when I got my renewed my current passport 10 years ago.

Does this now mean when I go to immi with my new passport I have to re-apply for an extension with all the paperwork, seasoned money etc or will they still transfer my current extension to my new passport so my extension is still valid until Dec 2014?

Many thanks

They will transfer you stamps. No need to do the extension until it ends in December.

• Like 1

Many thanks

They will transfer you stamps. No need to do the extension until it ends in December.

Great thanks Joe.

Im going back to the UK for 3 weeks in the summer. Would it be better and quicker to renew my passport while I'm there? Would I have any probs coming back to Bangkok on a new passport or do I have to just show my re-entry permit in my old passport and they'll stamp my new one?

Cheers